[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 93 KB, 352x530, ernst-junger-1919-pour-le-merite.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21880520 No.21880520 [Reply] [Original]

Every good author has survived a war. Junger, Rilke, Orwell, Hemingway. Then if you survive you have plenty of time to reflect on pain, fate and human nature. Plus you get chad points to flex on academics.

>> No.21880533
File: 66 KB, 745x895, B4913E7E-7161-4149-9017-F2604C31E5E0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21880520
Every day day is a damn war for me…

>> No.21880537

I think it’s ridiculous when someone says that they want to experience war and/or adventure that they can just go to Ukraine otherwise they’re just talking the talk but not walking the walk. Fighting in a foreign conflict in which you have no particular investment in and don’t even get paid isn’t adventurous. It’s dumb.

>> No.21880550

Why blow my load freezing to death in Ukraine when the actual US vs China war is about 1-2 years away from breaking out? I'd rather fight in a nice warm Taiwan

>> No.21880579

>>21880537
Yeah bro. Here is your perfect war that's fought purely for abstract idealistic reasons that suit your specific worldview.

>> No.21880613

Because it's a shit tier conflict full of retards killing retards and you're just as likely to get btfo by your "allies" as the enemy. Do you have a suicide wish? Modern warfare is not like your epic WWII documentaries.

>> No.21880620

>>21880520
Storm of Steel is enough to turn you off of any war you have no stake in. Junger fought for his comrades, his country, and glory therein. His survival is probably one of the least likely occurrences of the 20th century, and modern war has only become far more brutal in both weaponry and attitude than it was in his day.

The sentiment that led him to idolize an honorable death in combat does not exist anymore, at least not in the West, and I can't imagine wanting to fight and die for anything beyond my family and loved ones.

I don't doubt that war can provide a perspective increasingly foreign to those that live so far away from it, or that that perspective can be immensely enlightening towards the human condition, but I do doubt that I'm likely to glean much of that perspective while I wonder why I'm fighting for one or another international order that exists to benefit a small group of extremely wealthy rootless individuals at the expense of the population at large.

Like the poor American in Niger who recorded his own death at the hands of the dirt farmers of Tongo Tongo; no amount of pomp and circumstance can mask the reality that his service and then death on a barren savannah thousands of miles from his homeland served no greater purpose than the mere plain-dealing murder of ideological enemies (even if they are poor dirt farmers of the country of Niger) on one hand, and to shore up confidence in the American economy that exists only to plunder and loot its own people on the other hand.

>> No.21880621

>>21880520
"volunteers" have to go to Bakhmut which is a death factory. Average survival time is under a day

>> No.21880640

>>21880579
What do you know, that's exactly what Ukrainians have: idealistic reasons like self-defense and self-determination. Eat shit.

>> No.21880656

>>21880640
>simping for hohols of all people

bro you'd do better to suck off polacks at this rate

>> No.21880658

>>21880640
>like dude war is bad but its good in this instance because twatter and media say so

Found the chickenhawk libtard.

>> No.21880668

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainer_Maria_Rilke
>The outbreak of World War I surprised Rilke during a stay in Germany. He was unable to return to Paris, where his property was confiscated and auctioned. He spent the greater part of the war in Munich. From 1914 to 1916 he had a turbulent affair with the painter Lou Albert-Lasard. Rilke was called up at the beginning of 1916 and had to undertake basic training in Vienna. Influential friends interceded on his behalf – he was transferred to the War Records Office and discharged from the military on 9 June 1916. He returned to Munich, interrupted by a stay at Hertha Koenig's [de] manor Gut Bockel [de] in Westphalia. The traumatic experience of military service, a reminder of the horrors of the military academy, almost completely silenced him as a poet.[21]

>> No.21880678

>>21880656
I don't particularly care about Ukrainians. I'd rather Russia succeed in its efforts to destabilize and discredit Western hegemony, though I do think it's a shame that the effort is at the cost of so many lives.

My point is that Ukrainians very clearly have the "perfect war that's fought purely for abstract idealistic reasons" that you seem to think doesn't exist. Like them or not, I don't think you can argue against their motivations for fighting the war.

>> No.21880688

>>21880656
>>21880658
5 pyблeй oтпpaвлeнo нa вaш cчeт.

>> No.21880692

>>21880658
I don't think that war in general is necessarily bad, my point is that you can't argue against the Ukrainian's desire to defend their nation.

>> No.21880695

>And now no man would have made light of the fighting if he could have gone about among it scatheless and unwounded, with Minerva leading him by the hand, and protecting him from the storm of spears and arrows. For many Trojans and Achaeans on that day lay stretched side by side face downwards upon the earth.

>> No.21880707

>be an irrelevant jelly meaty gog in mechanized jewish gang warfare #N
nah I'll pass, that's war as much as a vegan patty is meat

>> No.21880907

Imagine using Jünger's image for this garbage.

>> No.21881269

>>21880520
>Every good author has survived a war. Junger, Rilke, Orwell, Hemingway.
You forgot Archilochus.

>> No.21881278

Many great authors fought for ideals or patriotism, but none went off to die for ZOG. There are plenty of conflicts and wars always going on, why single out this one?

>> No.21881283

>>21880550
This. We’re waiting for the good shit, that’s all. Fighting Asians in the jungle will be sovl.

>> No.21881308

>>21880520
Fetal alcohol malnourished mutts with enslavement in their genetics , strung along a puppeteered Jewish national money embezzlement for "Philanthropy"
Shalome kike