[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 50 KB, 300x225, asset.JPG?id=1000000599&ext.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2185871 [Reply] [Original]

So there's these guys here locally that are going out of business and need to sell their stock quickly. The only catch is, its an all or nothing kinda thing. $250 for 15,000+ books. Think I should go for it? I've got an empty shed out back...

Pic related, they literally have an old school bus packed floor to ceiling.

>> No.2185883

Do you have a house to store them all in?

>> No.2185893

>>2185883
Not a house, but an empty shed - well actually it's an old church behind the house. One room, but I think it could work. I've got about 1500 books, I'm just wondering if the hassle could be worth it. I would have to sell online or set up a booth at the flea market every weekend or something, I'm just a college student.

>> No.2185894

This is the worst kind of hoarding materialism that plagues bibliophiles.

Don't buy a huge hoard that's just going to sit in a shed somewhere. It really is despicable.

>> No.2185906

You could have your own Nazi book burning for $250 and the price of a couple of costume hires, so yes.

>> No.2185911

I'd buy them

Make the purchase
Spend a month sorting through the good and bad
Donate the rest to a Good Will foundation
Keep the keepers and add to my library

>> No.2185912

>>2185894
Well I didn't plan on reading them, lol, I was just thinking of the possible resell potential. Could the profit be worth all the unloading/packing/storing/organizing/selling/shipping time and effort I'd have to put in? I've never sold in bulk before so.....I'm just worried I'll get bored and have a giant fire hazard behind the house lol.

I guess if I get tired I can always donate them....it just seems like such a steal.

>> No.2185915

No.

If you could pick and choose which books you wanted that'd be great, but for thousands of books all at once I'd only be interested in ebooks.

>> No.2185918

I wouldn't do it. You won't read the vast majority of those books, they'll just sit around in that shed slowly decaying, and no one will want to buy them off you. Unless you really want to help the guys out and can afford it, that is.

>> No.2185919

theres probably 15 different textbooks with a gazillion copies of each. dont do it.

>> No.2185925

>>2185912
>Could the profit be worth all the unloading/packing/storing/organizing/selling/shipping time and effort I'd have to put in?

No.

>> No.2185931

So you'd buy a stash of 15,000+ .01 cent books, and you have no decent place to hold them.

I'd have to see all the titles and have time to examine the conditions of all of them. "All or nothing" bah

>> No.2185940

>>2185912

You will never make back the money you spent on those books if you're looking to resell them.

>> No.2185941

Make this purchase and I forsee stardom .... in a future episode of Hoarders.

>> No.2185953

store in a shed?

no, no no.

those books are insulation for your home, apartment.

>> No.2186037

Well here's my take on it (and this is coming from someone who regularly sells hundreds of books on ebay) -

It's time consuming and can be tiring. But 15k for $250? They're practically giving them away. You could make a real profit off of that. Personally I sell in large lots. Depends on what it is (hardback, old, popular, etc tend to sell best) but usually between 25 to 50 books per lot. Here's what I would do.

Rent a moving truck. Get a few friends to help you for the day. Show up with a couple hundred boxes. Have a few people filling boxes up, a few hauling them to the truck, and a few in the truck to start piling them up. Might take a few trips. I'd personally pay the people who helped out, or at least buy them lunch or something too.

Unload the boxes into your shed. The pic makes me think they're not all brand new to begin with so this should be fine as long as you don't have water leaking or rats or anything.

>> No.2186039

>>2186037
When you're ready to sell, grab a few boxes and take them to your house. Open the boxes up and try to sort them a little if possible - ex: 50 sci fi books, 25 Stephen King books, 30 cookbooks, 60 classic literature books, etc. People like lots with a general theme. Just keep adding them until the box you're going to ship out is full (you may want to invest in a shipping scale too after awhile, or order a bunch of flat rate boxes from USPS online - they're free to order, you just pay a certain amount of shipping per box when the time comes to pay for postage). You can print out postage from eBay and the nice thing is you don't have to pay your fees until after the buyer pays you. So you can be broke and go ahead and start this.

That's pretty much it. Don't list more lots than you can keep track of. Personally, most of my lots are around 50 books. Shipping is about $15 and eBay/Paypal fees are around $5. I usually get between $30 and $80 per lot, depending on what it consists of, which is about $10 to $60 profit a lot. I go through about 25 lots a week. So you could easily make back your money in just the first week. Just DON'T SELL INDIVIDUALLY. Now THAT would not be worth it. But yeah, it all depends on what you have and how you sell, but you could easily be looking at a profit in the thousands after a few weeks if you kept it up.

Not going to lie, they're heavy and it's time consuming. But it does pay off. I don't even need a job right now. Just buy low, start the auction off at however much the shipping price and listing fees are, and everything above that is my profit.

>> No.2186598

Bump in case op didn't see

>> No.2186600
File: 171 KB, 432x585, 1309047283634.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2185953
dude, so /diy/ poorfag status.... I like it

>> No.2186603

This reminds of that part in The Raw Shark Texts where the guy lives in a maze of tunnels with bazillions of books making up the walls and ceiling. You should do that OP. Become a book Eskimo.

>> No.2186604

do want

inb4 it's all paul coelho