[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 87 KB, 450x510, miranda-main-hero.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2185137 [Reply] [Original]

Now that the Kindle is only $110, I was thinking of picking it up and downloading my books.

Do any of you have the Kindle? Thoughts on it?

Any good sites/repositories to find books in compatible formats? Latest books as well.

>> No.2185139

i think of it as a nice supplement to real books, not a replacement. There are a lot of free ebooks out there thanks to things like the Gutenberg project. So its a great way to read a lot of classics for free.

>> No.2185141

>>2185139
OP here. I personally love the feel of paper books, but my local library doesn't have many of the books I wish to read, and it's expensive to buy books (which is something I never really got).

>> No.2185153

>>2185141
that is why i like the kindle and other ebook readers. i only buy books i want to physically own.

>> No.2185166
File: 32 KB, 480x426, fatcat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>2011
>people still like paper books because they are rejecting the technology, which is an affront to something that has been established since they were born
>2030
>a whole new generation of young people
>they don't give a fuck and mostly read from their multi-media devices (with cell phone and e-ink capabilities of course)
>paper books are relegated to the realm of hipsters, where they are beginning to flounder anyway because amazon kindle has been outselling the entire print market for over a year now, nevermind other e-book competitors

same shit happened with the horse and carriage, your blocks are tree flesh are doomed. just give it a bit, and remember that the markets are behind this

>> No.2185171
File: 82 KB, 500x375, 272ffj.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>> No.2185178

>>2185171
what does that have to do with anything

>> No.2185191

>>2185166
> this is what neckbeards actually believe

Literature will die before paper books die.

Enjoy killing a great artform so you can dabble in some shitty fantasy in between playing your videogames.

>> No.2185226
File: 29 KB, 528x543, 1268633360969.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Get the special offers Kindle: You save money, the ads don't get in the way at all, plus some of the ads deals are actually pretty good. I love my kindle 3G, the only problem I have is the web browser, selecting things on the web is a bitch on the Keyboard model, plus you can't save images, But why do you need to worry about that? It is meant for reading and it serves well browsing 4chan and Facebook.

The only thing I would advise doing, get insurance with your kindle, preferably an insurance that replaces it with a new one (like best buy), don't do it through Amazon, they will give you a refurbished kindle back. So when your battery life is dead you need to send in your kindle to amazon to be fixed, thats where it will be refurbished(they usually give you another kindle that has been refurbished, not the same one you sent in.), also a keynote, the batteries cannot be replaced by an average joe(Maybe it is posable, never looked it up to see). Last thing, Ereaders are fragile, you drop one, you more and likely cracked the screen(Did this with my old Nook), I'm unsure the durability of the kindles... I assume a 5% increase of durability verses 1 Gen Nook.(my opinion).

In conclusion buy the Special offers Kindle to save money, get insurance on it(From Best Buy, or anyone else besides Amazon) , and web browser is great for browsing(3G models).

I hope this helped.

>> No.2185237
File: 12 KB, 245x206, flamenwerfer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2185166
>2050
>Solar flares + nuclear war scramble the data on all electronic devices
>You have have lost all your crucial data
>Win for people with material hardcopies
You just lost the game

>> No.2185271
File: 111 KB, 800x793, 1259862254112.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2185237
Hopefully we move on to EMP proofed tech by that time(more and likely) but no doubt there will be new weapons... No doubt to have the real thing has much more advantages.

Good point sir

>> No.2185296

>>2185226
this post is so wrong you either unfathomably stupid or a troll

>1) 2011, buying books
>2) getting a shit warranty that is actually only an extended warranty from the one you AUTOMATICALLY get for buying it, and doesn't cover many of the reasons you would need to get it fixed. also, if you aren't FULL retard, enjoy sending in your kindle full of pirated books to get fixed by people who check content
>anybody who says the kindle internet browser is good with a straight face deserves an oscar nomination, the kindle internet browser is barely a hair above the "internet service" on prepaid phones, no flash, slow as fuck, no COLOR

>> No.2185325
File: 22 KB, 249x247, georgeF.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2185271
>implying EMP proof tech will be affordable and common place 30+ years from now
I'm sticking with my hardcopies
kthxbai

>> No.2185339

>>2185237
I have absolutely no intention of still being alive in 2050.

>> No.2185342

>2011
>using a kindle when every Nook device is far superior.

>> No.2185359

>>2185339
In that case you should an hero immediately

>> No.2185361

>>2185296

Why the hell would you use the Kindle to browse the internet in the first place? Just because the function is there doesn't mean you have to or need to use it. Just pull out your phone if you're that desperate.

>> No.2185420

Can i highlight lines and makes notes in the book using a kindle?

>> No.2185431
File: 72 KB, 378x363, 1305258162595.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2185342

>> No.2185538

>>2185137
My Kindle is probably my all-time favorite purchase of my entire life.
And it only got better when I found out if I search "(whatever book) mobi download" into Google then I can get almost any book I want for free.

I hate to take money from writers, but I'm so fucking poor. And I plan to actually pay for the books I enjoy as soon as I have the money to do so.

>> No.2185594

>>2185538
This. is why I want one.

I've been collecting free PDFs for a year and need a portable device to read them, I have so many free books on my computer it's insane. But I hear PDFs suck on Kindle.

>> No.2186328

>>2185420
answer my fucking question plz

>> No.2186343

>>2185420
You can do that on every modern eReader.

>> No.2187182

>2011
>Not reading all of your ebooks on your phone

>> No.2187409

>>2186343
thank you

>> No.2187417

The Nook Simple Touch is $99.

>> No.2187539

>2011
>not exploiting cheap child labor in southeast asia to obtain hand-illuminated calfskin manuscripts of all your books

>> No.2187542

>>2187417
Tell me the features of the nook Simple Touch.

Is there a notepad feature? Wifi? Can I read pdfs? Is it in colour?

>> No.2187553

>>2187542
Black and white e-ink, wifi capable, limited internet capabilities, pocket-sized, 2 month battery life

>> No.2187570

>>2187553
Pocket sized? Seems a bit small for the e-readers I've seen.

Any way to take notes on it, though? A notepad, or text editor. I've wanted a tablet or e-reader of some sort for the ability to take notes anywhere as much as I've wanted one for the ability to read anywhere.

I find I rarely have the attention to read these days, but I've always wanted a way to type up ideas or stories when I get them instead of being stuck and forgetting them.

>> No.2187573

why is the Kindle touch cheaper than the kindle 3?

>> No.2187583

>>2187542
Holy fucking shit man, just fucking google it already. If you're asking less-obvious questions, fine.... but you're asking for the fucking hardware specs of it, which are blatantly posted on just about every page that would have ANY info on the thing.

>>2185594
yup... PDF's look like shit on all but the kindle DX, or proper tablets. Other ereaders dont have the resolution to display them properly, or enough processing power to re-flow/scroll around them in at a non-irritating speed.

The fact that kindle does NOT support epub is enough for me to dismiss it. Just about every other e-ink reader supports epub, which is the equivalent to the MP3 on audio players. The .mobi is more like .atrac on the old sony MP3 players... That is, it only works on kindle's.

I mean you can still find lots of DRM-free .mobi files, but i prefer to keep all my shit in open standard files.
Sure, you can use calibre to convert them, but it always fucks up the layout and table of contents, which makes it easier to just track down in epub to begin with.

>Uses a sony PRS-505, and planing on upgrading to either the PRS-t1 or kobo touch.

>> No.2187596

>>2187583
Asking other people for their knowledge leaves me free to do other things, and to be fair "we've got Wordpad!" is rarely a selling point on new tech.

>> No.2187600

>>2187573
Because ereader prices had dropped so significantly in the past few months from more competition that the production contracts for the new kindle are lower than the kindle 3, even though the kindle 3 is 1 year old.

You would *THINK* amazon would lower the kindle 3 price to try to clear out their inventory, but i guess not...

Kobo released 3 ereaders in the last year(Kobo, kobo wifi[same as kobo but has wifi] and kobo touch[complete re-work]) and each time they slashed the price of the previous model. They refreash so often though, that they STILL have a bunch of original kobo's still in their warehouse that it has absolutely destroyed the value of them. You can probably find used ones on craigslist or kijiji for under $50, or even $70 brand new @ retailers. Pretty funny, when about 1 years ago it had just come out at $199... Which at the time was considered an amazing deal for a very basic eink device. Now, the kobo touch is light years ahead of it(on par with the nook simple, kindle touch, and a bit less impressive than the prs-t1) and its 40% cheaper at launch.

>> No.2187609

>>2187596
Except that shit is right on the damn wikipedia page for the item(as is all the other answers to your questions)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nook_Simple_Touch

If you do the research yourself you'll perhaps find answers to the questions you have not even thought of yet.

>> No.2187624

>>2187609
Closest it comes to answering my question is by saying that it doesn't support txt or rtf.

And what do you know, I didn't come up with any questions I hadn't thought of :I

Other than maybe "why make the internet feature hidden"

>> No.2187646

Honestly the kindle and the nook are about the same. If your worried about what formats work then fucking download "Calibre". End of worries. I have a Nook (Basic one) and i fucking love it.

>> No.2187954

Is the kindle or nook easier to download pirate copies of books on? Put another way, if I get a kindle and link it to my Amazon account, can I still download books on my computer and put them straight onto my Kindle without Amazon knowing? And can my progress through downloaded books still be tracked on social media sites/goodreads/etc?

>> No.2187973
File: 87 KB, 430x241, FileXbawks2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2187954
>wanting to show people online how much he's read

Get the fuck out before I punch you in the nose

>> No.2188009

>>2187973

What is wrong with wanting to share your interests with others?

>> No.2188032

>>2187954
> can I still download books on my computer and put them straight onto my Kindle without Amazon knowing

You can, Amazon will know (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51371)), but they don't give a shit.

> And can my progress through downloaded books still be tracked on social media sites/goodreads/etc?

Probably. The latest firmware update made user-added books equal with store-bought ones, so stuff like page-syncing works.

>> No.2188052

I really like my Kindle.

It's just like reading a normal book, but I can store thousands on there and it's so light and easy to carry around.

PDF support is good, but it's pretty hard reading the ones I have on there and it sucks that I can't find some of the technical books I want in .mobi format.

It would have been cool if Amazon had included a light somewhere. Power went out in my house once and it would have been cool if I had something to read, but the screen obviously isn't backlit and the lights are sold separately.

I don't know about the dedicated e-readers future though. With more tablets entering the market and their inevitable decline to affordability, will people ditch the Kindle for a device offering the same plus additional functionality with a bigger screen?

Be good if I could listen to the radio on it as well...

>> No.2188055

>>2188032

Fuck. I didn't realise they were spying on me. Will they brick my Kindle?

>> No.2189172

>>2188055

Not if you follow in the instructions in the link and turn their spying off.

>> No.2189187

i'd get a kindle if there was some provision for digitalising books i already own.

i understand barcode scanning is hardly going to work but i don't see the point of shelling out for a device that i can't then put my existing hard-copy books onto

>> No.2189193

>>2189187

In a lot of cases this is solved by pirating and then throwing/giving the physical copy away.

>> No.2189383

>>2187954
>>2188055
>>2188032

A lot of people would buy eBooks from sources other than Amazon anyway, so I would assume your Kindle would have no way of distinguishing between an eBook you downloaded illegally and an eBook you downloaded from a legitimate site other than Amazon. It's not like your Kindle can go "OMG an eBook that isn't in Fred's Amazon account, it must be illegal!".