[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 254 KB, 1170x793, 88241919-12CD-40DA-B15D-77235E24A657.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21846071 No.21846071 [Reply] [Original]

Post ‘em

From a letter by Kafka to Felice

>As a diversion, Director Brod produced the illustrated volume of the Propyläen edition and announced that he would show you Goethe in his underwear. You quoted: “He is still a king, even in his underwear,”and this quotation was the only thing I disliked about you that evening. My displeasure almost gave me a contraction of the throat, and in fact I should have asked myself why I felt so involved. But I am never consistent.—I could not get over the speed with which you finally scurried out of the room, and returned in your shoes. But I did not like the comparison to a gazelle that Frau Brod made twice.—I still remember very clearly the way you put on your hat and stuck in the hatpins. The hat was rather large, and white underneath.—Out in the street I lapsed at once into one of my not altogether unusual states of semitrance, when I see nothing clearly, except my own worthlessness. On Perlgasse, perhaps to relieve my awkward silence, you asked where I lived, and quite naturally wanted to know whether my way home and yours to your hotel were the same; but I, miserable fool that I am, asked if you wanted my address, evidently assuming that you—having hardly arrived in Berlin and fired by the idea of the trip to Palestine—would at once want to write to me, and so were loath to run the risk of finding yourself in the desperate position of not having my address. This blunder, needless to say, disconcerted me for the rest of the way, insofar as there was anything within me to be disconcerted.—Even in the first room and again in the street, there was some talk of a man in your Prague branch who had taken you that afternoon by carriage to Hradčany Castle. The existence of this man seemed to make it impossible for me to see you off at the station next morning with flowers, which I had been considering vaguely for some time.

>> No.21846079
File: 86 KB, 691x480, B8590AD1-B73D-459B-B420-E23DDB86ED0C.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

From Osama bin Laden’s infamous “Letter to America”
>The first thing that we are calling you to is Islam.

>We call you to be a people of manners, principles, honour, and purity; to reject the immoral acts of fornication, homosexuality, intoxicants, gambling, and trading with interest.

>You are the nation that permits Usury, which has been forbidden by all the religions. Yet you build your economy and investments on Usury. As a result of this, in all its different forms and guises, the Jews have taken control of your economy, through which they have then taken control of your media, and now control all aspects of your life making you their servants and achieving their aims at your expense

>You are a nation that permits acts of immorality, and you consider them to be pillars of personal freedom.

>You are a nation that permits gambling in its all forms. The companies practice this as well, resulting in the investments becoming active and the criminals becoming rich.

>You are a nation that exploits women like consumer products or advertising tools calling upon customers to purchase them. You use women to serve passengers, visitors, and strangers to increase your profit margins. You then rant that you support the liberation of women.

>You have destroyed nature with your industrial waste and gases more than any other nation in history. Despite this, you refuse to sign the Kyoto agreement so that you can secure the profit of your greedy companies and industries.

From interview with Miller in the 1990’s
>"So we tell the Americans as people," bin Laden said softly, "and we tell the mothers of soldiers and American mothers in general that if they value their lives and the lives of their children, to find a nationalistic government that will look after their interests and not the interests of the Jews. The continuation of tyranny will bring the fight to America, as Ramzi Yousef and others did. This is my message to the American people: to look for a serious government that looks out for their interests and does not attack others, their lands, or their honor. And my word to American journalists is not to ask why we did that but ask what their government has done that forced us to defend ourselves."

>> No.21846087

>>21846071
>Post ‘em
No.

>> No.21846091

>>21846071
So fucking neurotic jfc.

>> No.21846095
File: 495 KB, 1440x2048, 8C4ABF7C-13EA-4AA0-AF84-76846AB441E3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>If I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject—which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

>> No.21846615

Did you guys ever read the letters between elizabeth barrett browning and Robert browning? It’s two poets decently into their age, being basically virgins and trying to woo each other, it’s great unintentional comedy, very cute to see their romance develop and their attempts at flirting and posturing.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/16182/16182-h/16182-h.htm

>> No.21846623

>>21846615
By decently into their age, iirc Robert was 35 and Elizabeth like, 41? So the childish flirty and posturing is very cute in context.

>> No.21846822

>>21846615
>>21846623
Ever read “Possession: A Romance”?