[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 76 KB, 774x842, greek_statue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21845403 No.21845403 [Reply] [Original]

I have recently been getting into some reading and want to study what the general philosophy/demeanor of the minds of the ancient Greeks, and I honestly have no idea where a good place to start is since I only have an elementary understanding of Greek history.

>> No.21845416

The Iliad, kiddo

>> No.21845417

Start with the greeks

>> No.21845451

Paideia by Werner Jaeger
Principium Sapientiae by F M Cornford
What is Ancient Philosophy? by Pierre Hadot
The Origins of Greek Thought by Jean-Pierre Vernant
The Masters of Truth in Archaic Greece by Marcel Detienne

>> No.21845454

>>21845451
thank you

>> No.21845496

The Oxford History of Greece and the Hellenistic World
If you want a history of Ancient Greece that is a narrative of every historical event this won't be it, but it seems you want a more intellectual/cultural history and I think this is really great for that purpose

>> No.21845683

>>21845403
The Greek Way by Edith Hamilton was a massively popular book on this subject for students and laymen alike for decades. It moves through what are often considered to be the most important Greeks throughout several chapters. Hamilton's style is immediately accessible without being didactic.

>> No.21845883

>>21845403
If you are interested in exploring the philosophy and mindset of the ancient Greeks, a great place to start would be with the writings of some of the most influential philosophers of the time, such as Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle.

Some classic works to begin with include:

- "The Republic" by Plato: This book discusses Plato's vision of an ideal society, including his ideas on justice, ethics, and politics.

- "The Nicomachean Ethics" by Aristotle: This book explores Aristotle's ideas on ethics, including his concepts of happiness, virtue, and the nature of human well-being.

- "The Symposium" by Plato: This book features a dialogue between several characters discussing the nature of love, desire, and beauty.

- "The Apology" by Plato: This work recounts Socrates' defense during his trial, providing insight into his beliefs and approach to philosophy.

- "The Enchiridion" by Epictetus: This book provides practical advice for living a good life based on the Stoic philosophy of Epictetus.

In addition to these works, you may also want to consider studying the historical and cultural context of ancient Greece. This can provide a deeper understanding of the beliefs, values, and attitudes that shaped the philosophy and worldview of the time. Some good resources for this include introductory textbooks on Greek history and culture, as well as online courses or lectures from universities or other educational institutions.

>> No.21846017
File: 84 KB, 750x711, iliad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21845403
Start with the Iliad. Everything starts there.

>> No.21846258
File: 18 KB, 316x500, 1655382877137.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i consider pic related to be the perfect introductory philosophy book. a few anons above have said to start with the iliad, but i think you'd do better to read it after becoming more comfortable with reading long and potentially very boring stuff. it can be a slog for someone who is just getting into reading, as you've stated you are. same with the republic—it's worth reading, but it's not a great starting-point.
i should add: the iliad is very, very good (it's impossible to explain how good it is). you'll want to read that eventually.