[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 96 KB, 563x524, Screen_20230322102543.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21817063 No.21817063 [Reply] [Original]

I read this and it reminded me of this passage from David Foster Wallace's Kenyon College commencement speech
>let’s say it’s an average adult day, and you get up in the morning, go to your challenging, white-collar, college-graduate job, and you work hard for eight or ten hours, and at the end of the day you’re tired and somewhat stressed and all you want is to go home and have a good supper and maybe unwind for an hour, and then hit the sack early because, of course, you have to get up the next day and do it all again. But then you remember there’s no food at home. You haven’t had time to shop this week because of your challenging job, and so now after work you have to get in your car and drive to the supermarket. It’s the end of the work day and the traffic is apt to be: very bad. So getting to the store takes way longer than it should, and when you finally get there, the supermarket is very crowded, because of course it’s the time of day when all the other people with jobs also try to squeeze in some grocery shopping. And the store is hideously lit and infused with soul-killing muzak or corporate pop and it’s pretty much the last place you want to be but you can’t just get in and quickly out; you have to wander all over the huge, over-lit store’s confusing aisles to find the stuff you want and you have to manoeuvre your junky cart through all these other tired, hurried people with carts (et cetera, et cetera, cutting stuff out because this is a long ceremony) and eventually you get all your supper supplies, except now it turns out there aren’t enough check-out lanes open even though it’s the end-of-the-day rush. So the checkout line is incredibly long, which is stupid and infuriating. But you can’t take your frustration out on the frantic lady working the register, who is overworked at a job whose daily tedium and meaninglessness surpasses the imagination of any of us here at a prestigious college.
>But anyway, you finally get to the checkout line’s front, and you pay for your food, and you get told to “Have a nice day” in a voice that is the absolute voice of death. Then you have to take your creepy, flimsy, plastic bags of groceries in your cart with the one crazy wheel that pulls maddeningly to the left, all the way out through the crowded, bumpy, littery parking lot, and then you have to drive all the way home through slow, heavy, SUV-intensive, rush-hour traffic, et cetera et cetera.
>Everyone here has done this, of course. But it hasn’t yet been part of you graduates’ actual life routine, day after week after month after year.

>> No.21817084

>>21817063
>an advertisement starts blaring out of the shitty tinny speaker on the pump
good fucking god, ads when youre just trying to pump gas? america truly is a wasteland of decency

>> No.21817088

>>21817084
Yup, they start once you begin pumping to make sure you hear them.

>> No.21817101

So Ocado and WFH would have saved DFW from suicide?

>> No.21817108

Is there any hope of getting popular enough as a writer to support yourself, without a day job? All I want is a life where I can work on my own schedule: waking up when I like, working when I feel most productive, and most of all being able to go anywhere I want whenever I want. I would live in a shack if it meant I could be free to use my time however I please.

>> No.21817152

>>21817108
Well if you are really, really good and willing to put the time in at any cost you could manage. It will cost you if you dont have a cooomfy inheritance, corncob lived in a shack with no plumbing or electricity till he was like 35 so he could focus all of his energy on writing. Orwell and Hemingway have similar accounts of poverty while trying to make it as authors. Its a crunge but all you really need to do is get the critics buzzing. As soon as some NYT bugman calls your book ‘a future classic’ every pseud hipster will buy a copy out of fear of losing their intellectual aura.

Or if you dont care about legacy or literary recognition you could try writing some poplit YA or women’s B&N semi romance drivel. This is actually much harder than it sounds if youve focused your energy in literature. But its a likely much more profitable route, it’s very rare for a regarded author to be a multi million copy seller on every release.

>> No.21817155

>>21817152
Wasn't corncob mooching off his wife?
So yeah, marry a chick either rich or willing to support you. Not sure if that's more realistic than 'just write a bestseller dude'

>> No.21817189

>>21817155
No lol. He told her to get a job rather than work himself so she left him. Hence him living in a shack with no electricity or plumbing. He definitely didnt marry an heiress

>> No.21817281

>>21817063

Oh right, you think the speech was about food and gas prices

Why do you even notice shit like that. Are you poor?

>> No.21817307

>>21817281
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, " just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."

>> No.21817606
File: 374 KB, 498x498, 71CC1732-604D-428B-A77B-1BB0F52E5642.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I for one welcome our robot overlords.

>> No.21817626

>>21817084
99% of the time they’re not even ads for large-name companies but instead ads for niche gas-station snacks or some other bullshit. I saw a fucking highlight reel of some guy playing COD once. Meaning, they’re not even getting paid well for running the ads. I would bet that most places with those screens actually lost money on them.

>> No.21817692

>>21817063
He finds it hard to understand that most people ignore those inconveniences and look forward to their job because they find something pleasurable.
He's unwell and that's not because he has some rare insight. Describing it glorifying it and having others praise him for it ensures he will remain there.

>> No.21817700

>>21817692
>most people ... look forward to their job
Yikes

>> No.21817724

>>21817063
>the truth is that none of you understands what "day-in day-out" really means.

>> No.21817841

>>21817063
Philip Dick. Sales Pitch, 1954
>“Trans-Solar Products greets you!” an immense voice boomed in his ear. Morris groaned and hunched down in his seat. He was getting near Terra; the barrage was increasing. “Is your tension-index pushed over the safety-margin by the ordinary frustrations of the day? Then you need an Id-Persona Unit. So small it can be worn behind the ear, close to the frontal lobe—”
>Thank God, he was past it. The ad dimmed and receded behind, as his fast-moving ship hurtled forward. But another was right ahead.
>“Drivers! Thousands of unnecessary deaths each year from inter-planet driving. Hypno-Motor Control from an expert source-point insures your safety. Surrender your body and save your life!” The voice roared louder. “Industrial experts say—”
>Both audio ads, the easiest to ignore. But now a visual ad was forming; he winced, closed his eyes, but it did no good.
>“Men!” an unctuous voice thundered on all sides of him. “Banish internally-caused obnoxious odors forever. Removal by modern painless methods of the gastrointestinal tract and substitution system will relieve you of the most acute cause of social rejection.”
>The visual image locked; a vast nude girl, blonde hair disarranged, blue eyes half shut, lips parted, head tilted back in sleep-drugged ecstasy. The features ballooned as the lips approached his own. Abruptly the orgiastic expression on the girl’s face vanished. Disgust and revulsion swept across, and then the image faded out.
>“Does this happen to you?” the voice boomed. “During erotic sex-play do you offend your love-partner by the presence of gastric processes which—”

>> No.21818080

>>21817152
The other in is through transgressive lit, it's easier to speak to weirdo outsiders and build a following under alternative press outlets. Palahniuk had a solid following before the film because his books appealed to people who don't have the best taste or philosophy. Success isn't guaranteed or as lucrative, but banging out a cult novel is some big fish, small pond shit. Nonfiction also pays well and you don't have to be an expert or academic. I think the essay game is dead.

>> No.21818091

>>21817108
Yes, you can - but you won’t write about things that interest you, anon. Look up content writing and copywriting.