[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 546 KB, 1688x2560, 815D85F6-1DC4-4849-96ED-56CED55BA36C.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21810419 No.21810419 [Reply] [Original]

https://youtu.be/MTPxWkBgW6U

>> No.21810428

It is so fucking easier to think about death when you're healthy and you're on drugs. Videos like this are fucking bullshit.

>> No.21810439

I like when he says each line has to have its own juice/flavor. Also the bim-bim-bim was endearing.

>> No.21810454

>>21810428
>>21810439
don't encourage the bukowski posters

>> No.21810461

>BIM BIM BIM BIM BIM BIM BIM
What did he mean by this?

>> No.21810476

>>21810419
The moment you realize how awful and empty everything is it becomes your moral obligation to become the thing people need to have hope. When you help other people youll find that youve helped yourself and made the world a better place to live in. Not to say you shouldnt be able to express yourself in negative ways but it pretty clear what effect that has on people. Different strokes for different folks I will not argue about any of this.

>> No.21810506

>>21810454
are they that much trouble?

>> No.21810509

>>21810419
I like what he is saying about writing but those were not the best examples of dull sentences

>> No.21810522

There's going to be a resurgent interest in Bukowski and his works in this decade. He's more relevant than ever.

>> No.21810526

>>21810506
only marginally better than nazi and randposters

>> No.21810539

>>21810522
When I am reading a novel and suddenly author starts explaining all the possible ways to clean the red wine out of carpet and it goes for 20 pages and has nothing to do with the rest of the book but that smug motherfucker just needed to show how much he knows about things, I would rather read Bukowski at that moment

>> No.21810556

>>21810522
If the WEF's prescription of 'owning nothing and being happy' for society becomes a reality I could see this happening.

>> No.21810576

>>21810522
>He's more relevant than ever.
How so?

>> No.21810584

>>21810419
I can't decide whether critical opinion and general interest in dead artists is simply a function of the Internet's commodification and reach, or the fact that dead artists can't fight back.

>> No.21810636
File: 31 KB, 600x600, 1590121195824.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

so you want to be a writer?

if it doesn't come bursting out of you
in spite of everything,
don't do it.
unless it comes unasked out of your
heart and your mind and your mouth
and your gut,
don't do it.
if you have to sit for hours
staring at your computer screen
or hunched over your
typewriter
searching for words,
don't do it.
if you're doing it for money or
fame,
don't do it.
if you're doing it because you want
women in your bed,
don't do it.
if you have to sit there and
rewrite it again and again,
don't do it.
if it's hard work just thinking about doing it,
don't do it.
if you're trying to write like somebody
else,
forget about it.

if you have to wait for it to roar out of
you,
then wait patiently.
if it never does roar out of you,
do something else.

if you first have to read it to your wife
or your girlfriend or your boyfriend
or your parents or to anybody at all,
you're not ready.

don't be like so many writers,
don't be like so many thousands of
people who call themselves writers,
don't be dull and boring and
pretentious, don't be consumed with self-
love.
the libraries of the world have
yawned themselves to
sleep
over your kind.
don't add to that.
don't do it.
unless it comes out of
your soul like a rocket,
unless being still would
drive you to madness or
suicide or murder,
don't do it.
unless the sun inside you is
burning your gut,
don't do it.

when it is truly time,
and if you have been chosen,
it will do it by
itself and it will keep on doing it
until you die or it dies in you.

there is no other way.

and there never was.

>> No.21810650

If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery--isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you'll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

>> No.21810667

yeah I'm not going to take writing advice from bukowski. He's got some good poems but that's about it

>> No.21810734

>>21810526
I've read Atlas Shrugged and Mien Kampf and the nazis and randposters would be better if they actually read the books instead of just pretending they know what was written by assuming it all is just either "I hate Jews" and "I hate the government".

Charles Bukowski doesn't even have enough seriousness to be misunderstood.

>> No.21810743

>>21810576
In these times of economic uncertainty (perhaps a solution is incoming. I’m alluding here to the acclaimed Universal Basic Income), war and rumors of war, I suspect Bukowski’s lifestyle might appear attractice to a great many youths

>> No.21810779

>>21810419
I imagine that after reading writers like Faulkner, most writers from the 19th century, the minimalism and directness of a Bukowski could serve to sharpen and simplify the mind and get one off their high-horse or whatever pretentiousness he has erected in his mind.

Perhaps the purple prose gets so convoluted at times that it needs to be checked by the likes of a Bukowski.

>> No.21810825

>>21810419
>Yeaa I did and I yawned myself to shit.
Kek, this guy’s a hoot.