[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 527 KB, 1982x2696, Samuel_Beckett,_Pic,_1_(cropped).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21785389 No.21785389 [Reply] [Original]

I want to write Absurdist fiction but I don't know how to start.

I've read Beckett, Camus, Genet etc. so I get the genre in principle but I'm having a hard time grafting it into a story.

What do?

Also if anyone has recs for recent absurdist fiction I'd also be interested.

>> No.21786832

>>21785389
You don't understand what you've read. It has nothing to do with crafting "absurdist stories". OK, maybe Camus and Genet, but not Beckett.

>What do?

You're supposed to have read all the major works of the canon, preferentially in the original, before starting with Beckett, so do that.

>> No.21786839

>>21785389
>>21786832
Also, it's not a "genre" and Beckett has very little to do with such a mediocre writer as Camus. He's probably more related to Kafka and some of the surrealist poets, as well as to the classics he enjoyed, such as the French moralists, Dante (even though on the surface it might not look like Dante is much of an influence), obviously Joyce, etc.

>> No.21788490

>>21786839
>it's not a genre

Fair enough, it's a philosophy (or I guess anti-philosophy) written into literature

>It has nothing to do with crafting "absurdist stories"

It absolutely does, that's one form of expression of absurdism

>> No.21788861

>>21785389
Paul Auster is a great and relatively recent absurdist fiction writer (if you don't mind detective fiction tropes.) His fiction is also pretty plot-heavy for something that's considered surrealist, idk might help you get an idea how to portray absurdist ideas through stories. He also takes a lot of influence from Camus, Beckett, Kafka etc.