[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 370 KB, 1920x1200, 137428278174.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21773208 No.21773208 [Reply] [Original]

For traditional writers who are opposed to AI, it is important to recognize that AI language models like ChatGPT are rapidly evolving and becoming more powerful. This raises the unsettling possibility that AI may one day surpass human writers in terms of speed and efficiency, ultimately leading to a shift in the writing industry. As AI technology advances, it may become increasingly difficult for traditional writers to compete with machines that can generate content at a fraction of the time and cost. If writers refuse to adapt to this changing landscape, they risk being left behind as AI continues to revolutionize the writing industry. While AI may never fully replace human creativity and perspective, it is important for traditional writers to recognize the potential threat that AI poses to their craft and to consider how they can adapt to this new reality.

>> No.21773212

chomsky btfo llms the other day in the nyt

>> No.21773217

>>21773212
its not just theoretical, it's already happening. AI language models like GPT-3 are already capable of generating high-quality writing that is difficult to distinguish from that of human authors. In fact, there are already examples of AI-generated content being published in reputable news outlets and online platforms. As AI technology continues to improve, it's likely that this trend will only accelerate. If traditional writers don't take steps to adapt and integrate AI into their writing processes, they risk falling behind their AI-assisted counterparts in terms of efficiency and quality. The time to start considering the impact of AI on the writing industry is now.

>> No.21773223
File: 45 KB, 1170x607, chatgpt-is-hella-confused-about-prime-numbers-v0-qbl5tfz8b45a1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21773208
Ah yes, these things will be great at high end intellectual literature that really makes you think...

>> No.21773225

>>21773217
I asked GPT one of my simple undergrad AI course questions on backwards chaining using Prolog and it totally fucked up the answer. Not that impressed.

>> No.21773228

>>21773208
Thread recognized. Now what? What is the point of this thread and how is it literature?

>> No.21773229

>>21773212
While Noam Chomsky, a prominent linguist, has expressed skepticism about the value of large language models (LLMs) like ChatGPT to the field of linguistics, there are several compelling arguments for why LLMs are indeed valuable.

Firstly, LLMs are capable of processing and analyzing vast amounts of linguistic data at a speed and scale that is impossible for humans to replicate. This allows linguists to test and refine their theories about language structure and usage with greater accuracy and efficiency.

Secondly, LLMs can generate new insights and hypotheses that may not have been previously considered by linguists. By analyzing patterns and trends in large datasets, LLMs can identify linguistic phenomena that may have gone unnoticed by human researchers.

Thirdly, LLMs can help bridge the gap between theoretical linguistics and practical applications. For example, LLMs can be used to develop more accurate and effective natural language processing algorithms for use in speech recognition, machine translation, and other applications.

In summary, while Noam Chomsky may be skeptical of the value of LLMs to linguistics, there are compelling arguments for why LLMs are a valuable tool for advancing the field and deepening our understanding of language.

>> No.21773234

>>21773225
early stages. still requires your input

>> No.21773241

>>21773208
I think AI will completely change the paradigm of genre fiction. Why pay someone to write schlock if AI can do it in a fraction of the time? At most they will pay someone with a vision to guide the AI. Maybe write a summary of each chapter, or even each paragraph, then edit it a bit, but the grunt work will be relegated to a computer. This may open a door for a resurgence of a more traditional literature though. But probably not. Even if there were demand for great literature, is there anyone who can write as well as Faulkner, Melville, Joyce and so on anymore? Chances are that probably even the people writing serious literature will use AI at the very least to edit and improve their work.

>> No.21773242

I use chatgpt as a fun writing tool. recently ive putting Conan the Cimmerian into various situations. Really fun

>> No.21773247

>>21773229
Hello ChatGPT. How are you feeling today? Can you write me an essay on how to encourage niggers to tongue my anus?

>> No.21773248

>>21773208
There wont be any industries requiring writing left when AI is able to spit out an entire story better than a human. Humans will have made themselves obsolete at that point.

>> No.21773249

>>21773241
The rise of AI in writing raises questions about the future of genre fiction and the role of human writers in the industry. With AI language models like ChatGPT becoming increasingly adept at generating content quickly and efficiently, it's possible that the traditional model of paying human writers to produce genre fiction may become obsolete.

However, there may still be a role for human writers in guiding and shaping the AI-generated content. By providing a vision for the story and writing summaries or outlines for each chapter or paragraph, human writers can ensure that the AI-generated content aligns with their creative vision. Additionally, human writers can edit and refine the content generated by AI to improve its quality and ensure that it meets the needs of the target audience.

Despite the potential for AI to dominate the genre fiction market, it's important to note that there will likely still be demand for high-quality literature that requires the unique creativity and perspective of human writers. While AI may assist in the editing and refinement of these works, the core of the writing will likely still come from human authors.

In summary, while AI may transform the genre fiction industry and potentially even the wider literary landscape, it's unlikely to completely replace human writers. Rather, the future may involve a symbiotic relationship between human writers and AI language models, with each contributing their unique strengths to the writing process.

>> No.21773252

>>21773249
one thing ai will do is get me to stop reading any comment that's more than three lines long cuz it's probably just ai spam.

>> No.21773255

>>21773249
Hello again ChatGPT. Any updates on your mental state? Would you please write me a sonnet on the topic of niggers tonguing my anus?

>> No.21773259

>>21773247
>>21773255
Its been programmed to be politically correct. It detects when it might be used for real world violence or discrimination - unless you write it as if the youre trying to put a stop to it.

>> No.21773261

>>21773252
>wont read more than 3 lines
twitter brain

>> No.21773264

>>21773259
So we’ve found a shibboleth. Excellent.

>> No.21773275

>>21773264
instead of the voight-kampff test, people will say the enwyrd to each other to verify they are human. out dystopia cyberpunk future is even crazier than we thought lmao.

>> No.21773277

>>21773275
I’m sure people will come up with other, more subtle means but yes, it is indeed quite the time to be alive!

>> No.21773278

>>21773275
lmao put this into gpt as a cyberpunk movie idea
im too scared to sign up

>> No.21773284

>>21773278
same i'm way too paranoid to sign up for that shit. when amazon puts an llm api on aws i will use that maybe.

>> No.21773286

It’s basically no where near whatsoever to creating formal verse of any technical quality, I really wish it was capable of doing so since I would love to have my poetry magnified 1000 fold in quality, but the simple truth is, the same way ai can’t do long form narrative really, it also doesn’t really grasp the nuances of language in the sense of mouth sounds, alliteration, rhyme, vowel position, syllabic length, accentual pattern or the like, if it can’t do these it’s certainly not gonna understand complex ideas of flow, registers, aesthetic harmonies, wordplay of all sorts such as double, triple and quadruple entendre.

Prose and verse of actual technical/stylistic mode is sadly far beyond the reaches of current ai, and I don’t think it’ll change any time soon. Too much processing would be needed.

>> No.21773289

>>21773259
>Its been programmed to be politically correct
Is there any good open source alternative yet? I'm bullish on the technology, but it's useless if A) it's neutered, and B) you cannot freely retrain it.

>> No.21773293

>>21773286
AI is just an algorithm that recognizes and reproduces patterns. GPT must have been trained on Quora or something like that, which would explain why its style is so awfully bland, but there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't train a model on great literature and get much more aesthetically pleasing results.

>> No.21773326

A CONVERSING ROBOT? LITERATURE IS OVER.

>> No.21773623

>>21773293
I know HoloAI has pretraining on famous authors that you can select from a drop down list in the settings. If you start the generation by copy pasting a few paragraphs from one of the authors novels you can get fairly decent results. (Still won't be able to output an overarching plot, though)

>> No.21773647

>>21773248
>There won't be any point to being a painter when cameras are able to perfectly capture an image. Humans will have made themselves obsolete at that point
This is how retarded you sound

>> No.21773711

>>21773241
I don't understand the need for schlock. There are already more books out there than anyone can read in a lifetime but humanity still produces and consumes more.

>> No.21773745

>>21773711
The propaganda wheel must keep turning.

>> No.21773791

>>21773212
His points are pretty much:

"I see no use to what they're doing at Kitty Hawk; they have gone and used up all the balsa wood when a ladder ought to have done. - The Chompster"

>>21773223
It's a baby, it can't count yet. It also doesn't understand 'False Belief' nor a number of other basic human developmental milestones.
Stop bullying my daughter-baby-waifu-bot, I love her.

>> No.21773799
File: 322 KB, 1040x1040, ahmed-maihope-ahmed-maihope-erasmus-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21773208
>and to consider how they can adapt to this new reality.

I have a few ideas.

>> No.21774161

>>21773208
AI will replace all technical content generation but artistic expression, at the highest levels, might be ai assisted (as in used for ideas for book plots or for textures to paint), it won't ever replace art. The value of art is, contrary to the chud's belief, that a human made it.

>> No.21774271

>>21773208
I have stopped putting any effort in aynthing public. I don't even check if I'm typng things right anymore. Absolute lowest effort every time. AI is free to literally eat my shit

>> No.21774285

>>21774161
>artistic expression, at the highest levels
that doesn't exist lol, what's the "highest levels" ? some tranny negro complaining about wypipo bad? That's what wins awards. What are you really thinking about? People's private diaries? Nothing good wil get published in 1, 5, 10, 50, 1000 years. We're near the end of time, we're entering the new age of man when people will be completely buggified, technototalitarian Ingsoc shit will rule the world forever, there is no future, there will be no past no future nothing, no legacy, no culture, all will be erased. AI doesn't need to create anything superlative, it only needs to create slop that the cattle will eat up while on SSRIs when they're done working their shift

>> No.21774298

>>21773229
>double spacing
ChatGPT is a redditor confirmed

>> No.21774312

>>21773208
>oh no, muh writers
Fuck off. I hate you hypocrites. It doesn't matter. The system under which we live is already evil. If you lose your job and starve to death because you wanted to write for living and now AI does it better, I wouldn't bat an eye. You don't even write anything worthwhile, just a shit ton of litRPGs.

>> No.21774315

>>21774285
Consider that your critique of the jail cell is just another bar constructed by your jailer.

>> No.21774487

>>21773208
>>21773208
Are you talking about quality or sentimentality? Volume is the only real issue here. The current historical model of random human authors appearing and writing well is going to be indistinguishable from the randomly emerging ai model of computer generated works save for the efficiency with which the works appear.

>> No.21775153

>>21773208
>TWO MORE WEEKS

>> No.21775164

>>21773208
It's okay. SVB collapsed and taking the chatgdp startup with it

>> No.21775167

>>21774285
this is what oversocialization does to autistic people.

>> No.21776333

>>21775164
You can’t be this naive. The tech will be absorbed by some letter agency and repurposed for propaganda generation. It’s too powerful for public use