[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 740x610, 1300572236425.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2176670 [Reply] [Original]

I understand basic story structure such as the desire driven quest toward a goal, themes, moral dilemma and of course conflict. But my question is where to begin in your head?
If you're writing fantasy do you come up with the world before filling it with people? For horror would you come up with the concept first and for characters, seems like the hardest part, how on earth do you even begin to come up with a single character?

I can't get my head around where to begin.

>> No.2176679
File: 13 KB, 340x340, 1265090948130.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>> No.2176686

there are no rules, nigger

following recipes ends up as organized deadness

read sum rabelais to free your mind and relax your anus

>> No.2176688

Do you think Alice In Wonderland followed a rule?

>> No.2176698

>>2176688
Actually yes, it rigidly adhered to conventional structure. The content was very abstract though, I think thats what you meant.

>> No.2176848

Do you know how to come up with characters at all? Cause if not that's a way bigger problem to address than any more specific question, but anyway...

Basically, what idea makes you think a story is worth writing? start there. If you have a cool world then you DO start there. if you have ahorror concept, take yourself and approximations of people you know and stuff them inside it.if you just go "i wanna make a story for the sake of practice" and don't have an awesome starting idea, then it doesn't matter, just do shit.