[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 137 KB, 750x1324, 989BDCB8-81C7-4AAF-8E2C-B71CB73CE95B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21750894 No.21750894 [Reply] [Original]

What does it take to write a book that gets memed as hard as Call of the Crocodile? Does it require being an actual lunatic eceleb like F Gardner?

>> No.21750911

Pay a couple third worlders pennies on the dollar to shill for you all day on 4chan

>> No.21750929

>>21750911
Serious answers please.

>> No.21750949

>>21750894
Easily the worst writing i have ever suffered through. Extremely blatant fake review bombing on this site. F. Gardner is a person lacking in both skills and morals and I hope he never finds any success

>> No.21750958
File: 51 KB, 748x422, 1670798344650992.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21750894
>actual lunatic eceleb
Gardner is boring af

>> No.21750959

>>21750949
Wow what a bitter loser you sound like. I'm happy for F Gardner.

>> No.21750962

>>21750958

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSLSKjpDILw&t=1s

Filtered. this is absolute kino

>> No.21751030

>>21750929
Serious answer:

Gardner bought out the 4chan ads on every board for several weeks to promote his Horror's Call book series in late 2020. At the same time, he made several threads on /lit/ and /x/ to promote his work and ask for opinions. This gained a lot of attention, both because of the novelty of the marketing technique and because 4chan/lit books were fairly rare at the time.

However, it was rapidly discovered that the books were awful and that Gardner was impervious to constructive criticism and naked insult alike. It became somewhat fun to meme these books, but then it was noticed that a lot of these 'mocking' posts had Gardner's specific syntax and spelling errors. The board assumed that Gardner himself was behind these posts, attempting to gain ironic meme fame as the Tommy Wiseau of /lit/. We were also getting a lot of low-effort Gardnerposts which tended to lean heavily on several reoccurring phrases, indicating that Gardner had paid people to unironically shill his work on the board.

This is where things start to get muddled. The shill posts, whether they were done ironically or by Gardner himself, were annoying to everyone but it was becoming apparent that Gardner would interpret any form of attention as "success", so people stopped engaging with them entirely. At various points Gardner's ads have garnered legitimate attention on /lit/, but Gardner himself is pretty quick to crush it with his relentless spamming.

At this point it's impossible to tell if the Gardner threads are from him or from anons trying to keep a stale joke going, but his YouTube channel is obvious proof that Gardner still wants to develop a reputation as an author or thinker or iconoclast or whatever. But since he's literally still doing the exact same thing he has always done, it won't amount to much.

Now watch: the word "iconoclast" is going to be mentioned in every single Gardner thread from here on out, because despite my obvious assertion that Gardner has failed in this goal, he legitimately believes that he can simply declare himself this-or-that and nobody will doubt it.

>> No.21751039

>>21751030
>the Tommy Wiseau of /lit/

I mean, Gardner kind of is. But if you watch his youtube vids its really obvious he actually thinks he's a serious writer.