[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 27 KB, 340x500, 41JjGFMy7cL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21698100 No.21698100 [Reply] [Original]

I read Earthlings and it was wild. I don't know if it's a good book, but it was certainly memorable.
Sayaka Murata doesn't do half-measures, that's for sure.

>> No.21698165

>>21698100
I enjoyed it but I enjoyed Convenience Store Woman more since I like the absurdity of mundanity angle.

>> No.21698176

>>21698100
What’s with the ‘hog on the ‘ver?

>> No.21698185

>>21698176
The protagonist has a hedgehog plushy who is important to the plot.

>> No.21698214

>>21698185
Ok cool, what’s the plot about, what were your favourite aspects of the story and characters?

>> No.21698285

I read it a few years ago and I still think about what it was trying to say... At the end her cousin and her husband all live in a cabin where they just all live together, fuck and eat and kill a couple and eat them only for the cops to find them and it ends. I get theres a lot of abuse they are all trying to process and just kinda slip into these delusional thoughts cause society fucked them up so much but like.... What? Was that the whole point of the book and the last chapter was just to show how far people who have been abused by hierarchal Japanese society and the system it's put in place causes people to reduce themselves to the most base violent immoral versions of themselves if they try to remove themselves from it. If that's the case is she trying to say that the only two options are the animal immortality or human immorality? Or was she trying to say that victims of extreme abuse from all sides if let unhelped will devolve into the ending of the book? The main character is severely abused and she kills her abuser, her meek do nothing non-reproducing husband, and her cousin who held his own delusions of being otherworldly cause of paternal pressure are all emblematic of perceived societal ills in Japan, I think. I struggle to take away anything meaningful other than it indulging in misery -- I am a pig American so maybe the themes are over my head

>> No.21698326
File: 22 KB, 315x499, fasd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21698165
>turbo autist uses an /r9k/ incel as a front to get people to leave her alone so she continue her hyper-fixation on working in a convenience store with less social interference from others
That book was great and if it weren't written by a woman it would have become a /lit/ classic.