[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 406x630, 9780679761044_p0_v2_s1200x630-4178351656.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21689858 No.21689858 [Reply] [Original]

what is a fiction book that had a deep impact on you? either it made you change the way you view life or you get goosebumps thinking about it

>> No.21689872
File: 86 KB, 481x700, C5230D17-777B-446E-8FFE-BFAE707C588F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

THIS BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE; SHOOK MY WORLD; IF I HAD NOT READ IT WHEN I DID, I DO NOT KNOW WHERE I WOULD BE; IT MADE ME THE PERSON THAT I AM TODAY; I WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYONE WHO IS IN NEED OF HELP IN BECOMING THEIR BEST SELF, AND TO ANYONE WHO NEEDS AN INSPIRATIONAL BOOST IN QUOTIDIAN LIFE; I STILL GET GOOSEBUMPS WHENEVER I THINK ABOUT IT.

>> No.21689878

>>21689858
The ending of Titus Alone. It made me reevaluate many of the decisions I've made in my life

>> No.21690356

>>21689878
I just started Titus Groan. Now I'm excited for the trilogy

>> No.21690452

>>21689858
My mother was always complaining I should read more study more. This was back when I was 14 years old and spend most of my days watching television and playing on the swimming pool.

I said to her: “Ok, I will do it”. She tried to give me some teenage books my brother liked to read, but I passed. I wanted something difficult. I asked for the most serious fiction book we had in our house.

Now, we were by no means a cultured family. My parents were lawyers but they were the first in their families to get University degrees. There wasn’t a library with classics in our home. Here and there there was a book that caused a sensation and my mom bought. As for my father, to this day he only reads newspapers, magazines, finance and law books. No fiction.

In the end the book my mother gave me was One Hundred Years of Solitude.

I never imagined that literature could be like that. It was visceral. It was like being raped by beauty. In a few months I was reading poetry and, after I discovered Shakespeare, I started to try to create my own stories with characters who confront themselves using poetic language.

I’m 36 now and my evolution as a writer is simply unbelievable. I guess I had some innate talent because teachers used to present my texts as examples to the class even when all I liked to read were history books about the Greeks and the Romans and my only ambition was to draw as well as Leonardo and Michelangelo (I wanted to be an artist from 4 to 14). Even so, people in my school were all mostly ignorants so there was no real competition. But those early works that got praised by the teachers…my God, they were terrible. And these texts were the only things I was praised for: my grades were among the top of the class when I was younger, but when focus and serious study became necessary I plummeted to the bottom of the class (to the despair of my parents).

My early poetry (Rimbaud was my main influence back then) was also terrible, and only the fact that I was young and proud and blind to my own defects made me continue to write and believe in myself.

Writing is one of the major pleasures in my life, as well as an obsession that sometimes compromises my marriage and social life, and I can’t say I’m worldly successful (I’m a layer, but as a writer I’m unpublished). But when I lay my head on the pillow at night and think on my own worth as an artist I know I’m creating verbal beauty in an extraordinary level after more than 22 years of work. When I’m alone in the dark with myself I know I have achieved beautiful things.

So One Hundred Years of Solitude is the book that changed my life. I even made a post about it long ago that became something of a copy-pasta on /lit/ but I don’t know if it’s still being posted.

By the way, pic related is also a great book. Komako is the book: one of the greatest female characters ever created. The final sentence is also a marvel of poetic language.

>> No.21690552

>>21690452
Have a seal award good sir. Upvoted and gilded.

>> No.21690669

Snow Country also left an impression on me although I’m not sure why. I get nostalgic just thinking about it.

>> No.21690691

Snow Country sucks.

>> No.21690921
File: 84 KB, 512x800, 4337CrimeandPunishmentWordswo[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Either this or Confessions of a Mask

>> No.21691166

>>21690691
filtered