[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 18 KB, 302x379, strauss_cigarette_medium.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21674050 No.21674050 [Reply] [Original]

All right /lit/, you have convinced me. I want to read Strauss. Where best to begin?
Also, german is my mother tongue so I'm able to read what he wrote in german without translation.

>> No.21674476

>>21674050
I would suggest On Tyranny, The City and Man, and Liberalism Ancient and Modern. If you're looking for accessibility, I'd suggest looking up the lecture courses, of which a lot is up online as pdfs or audio on the Leo Strauss Center site.

If you're interested in Strauss's motivations or aims, I'd look to Heinrich Meier's books, Seth Benardete's memorial speech and "Strauss on Plato" essay, Richard Kennington's review of Natural Right and History, Svetovar Minkov's Leo Strauss on Natural Science, Richard Velkley's book on Strauss and Heidegger, and the first chapter of Laurence Lampert's "The Enduring Truth of Leo Strauss" (but be wary of the rest of the book).

>> No.21674482

"How to study medieval philosophy"
"What can we Learn from Political Theory?"