[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 54 KB, 347x500, 51vKmie8TYL[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21662928 No.21662928 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any good reason to read this and not just skip straight to the Copenhaver translation of Hermetica?

>> No.21663487

>>21662928
bump cause i want to know too

>> No.21664055

I received this book as a gift. A friend of mine was reading a book about the 60's counter culture and lsd and in the book it's mentioned that one of the prominent figures of that scene was greatly influenced by it so he bought a copy for himself and one for me. It was an interesting read that happened to feature and combine a lot of ideas I had on my own and ideas that I liked from different religions and spiritualities which was cool. I know very little about that kind of stuff so I can't reccomend it. It could be utter trash and I wouldn't even realize it but I enjoyed it.

>> No.21664164

It's a short read so there's no reason not to desu. Purists will tell you it's not a good representation of 'true' hermeticism buts a decent enough introduction to a few of the ideas for the layman and is undoubtedly the most popular hermetic writing ever made

>> No.21664283

Pseud overhate it. Its okay, it's just a work of New Thought.

>> No.21665143

>>21662928
https://discord.gg/5ffddsn2ej

>> No.21665166

>>21662928
The book is shippable but the first few chapters were kinda interesting

>> No.21665185

The Hermetica is just a few shitty bootleg Plato dialogues; it doesn't actually present a clear system for anything. The Kybalion is less "ancient" but more focused on actually fostering an intuitive thinking system about the world. Caring about how "ancient" something is doesn't even matter when the Hermetica itself is pseudepigraphical anyway.

>> No.21666093

>>21662928
If you don’t want to read, then don’t read it.

>> No.21666103

>>21665185
If you read it, you need to reread it.
>>21662928
If you’re asking lit instead of just reading it then there’s no help for you.
>my take on the book
Open up for the air plane anon vroom vroom here comes your veggies. It masterfully leaves breadcrumbs for expansion of previous notions mentioned throughout history’s alchemy and what would be understood as Christian Science on DXM with the matrix playing in the background of every page. It gets heady without prescribing some stupid hat to wear or robe with many tough mystical references to follow if you’re subscribing it into your life. Unfortunately it has a ton of dualism too in it and that might filter you. So buckle up and read it because it’s short.