[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.17 MB, 2243x3532, Cover_(Hound_of_Baskervilles,_1902).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21570874 No.21570874 [Reply] [Original]

>most famous and iconic Sherlock Holmes story
>he isn't even in two thirds of it
How is this one the go to representative Sherlock Holmes story? Study in Scarlet was much better.

>> No.21571552

>>21570874

--- TEN REASONS WHY THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES IS GREATEST NOVEL EVER WRITTEN ---

1. Holmes ostensibly praising Watson while actually mocking him — CHECK

“Really, Watson, you excel yourself,” said Holmes, pushing back his chair and lighting a cigarette. “I am bound to say that in all the accounts which you have been so good as to give of my own small achievements you have habitually underrated your own abilities. It may be that you are not yourself luminous, but you are a conductor of light. Some people without possessing genius have a remarkable power of stimulating it. I confess, my dear fellow, that I am very much in your debt.”

[Chapter 1]

Holmes dropping erudition bombs like a boss — CHECK

Holmes stretched out his hand for the manuscript and flattened it upon his knee. “You will observe, Watson, the alternative use of the long 's' and the short. It is one of several indications which enabled me to fix the date.”

[Chapter 2]

3. Spine-chilling hook — CHECK

“There was certainly no physical injury of any kind. But one false statement was made by Barrymore at the inquest. He said that there were no traces upon the ground round the body. He did not observe any. But I did — some little distance off, but fresh and clear.”
“Footprints?”
“Footprints.”
“A man’s or a woman’s?”
Dr. Mortimer looked strangely at us for an instant, and his voice sank almost to a whisper as he answered.
“Mr. Holmes, they were the footprints of a gigantic hound!”

[Chapter 2]

4. Adversary of unusual cunning — CHECK

“You say that your fare told you that he was a detective?”
“Yes, he did.”
“When did he say this?”
“When he left me.”
“Did he say anything more?”
“He mentioned his name.”
Holmes cast a swift glance of triumph at me. “Oh, he mentioned his name, did he? That was imprudent. What was the name that he mentioned?”
“His name,” said the cabman, “was Mr. Sherlock Holmes.”
Never have I seen my friend more completely taken aback than by the cabman’s reply. For an instant he sat in silent amazement. Then he burst into a hearty laugh.
“A touch, Watson — an undeniable touch!” said he. “I feel a foil as quick and supple as my own.”

[Chapter 5]

>> No.21571560

>>21571552

5. Deadly mire with a kick-ass name — CHECK

“That is the great Grimpen Mire,” said he. “A false step yonder means death to man or beast. Only yesterday I saw one of the moor ponies wander into it. He never came out. I saw his head for quite a long time craning out of the bog-hole, but it sucked him down at last. Even in dry seasons it is a danger to cross it, but after these autumn rains it is an awful place.”

[Chapter 7]

6. Unexplained howling, instantly creating atmosphere of ominous horror — CHECK

“Halloa!” I cried. “What is that?”
A long, low moan, indescribably sad, swept over the moor. It filled the whole air, and yet it was impossible to say whence it came. From a dull murmur it swelled into a deep roar, and then sank back into a melancholy, throbbing murmur once again. Stapleton looked at me with a curious expression in his face.
“Queer place, the moor!” said he.
“But what is it?”
“The peasants say it is the Hound of the Baskervilles calling for its prey. I’ve heard it once or twice before, but never quite so loud.”

[Chapter 7]

7. Said atmosphere heightened by people signalling mysteriously with candles at windows in the middle of the night — CHECK

A sudden idea occurred to me, and I took the candle from the trembling hand of the butler.
“He must have been holding it as a signal,” said I. “Let us see if there is any answer.” I held it as he had done, and stared out into the darkness of the night. Vaguely I could discern the black bank of the trees and the lighter expanse of the moor, for the moon was behind the clouds. And then I gave a cry of exultation, for a tiny pinpoint of yellow light had suddenly transfixed the dark veil, and glowed steadily in the centre of the black square framed by the window.
“There it is!” I cried.

[Chapter 9]

>> No.21571565

>>21571560

8. Attractive woman spotted as morally unsound at a single glance — CHECK

The first impression left by Mrs. Lyons was one of extreme beauty. Her eyes and hair were of the same rich hazel colour, and her cheeks, though considerably freckled, were flushed with the exquisite bloom of the brunette, the dainty pink which lurks at the heart of the sulphur rose. Admiration was, I repeat, the first impression. But the second was criticism. There was something subtly wrong with the face, some coarseness of expression, some hardness, perhaps, of eye, some looseness of lip which marred its perfect beauty.

[Chapter 11]

9. Brilliant, cinematic moment of revelation when the villain's subterfuge is laid bare — CHECK

He led me back into the banqueting-hall, his bedroom candle in his hand, and he held it up against the time-stained portrait on the wall.
“Do you see anything there?”
I looked at the broad plumed hat, the curling love-locks, the white lace collar, and the straight, severe face which was framed between them. It was not a brutal countenance, but it was prim, hard, and stern, with a firm-set, thin-lipped mouth, and a coldly intolerant eye.
“Is it like anyone you know?”
“There is something of Sir Henry about the jaw.”
“Just a suggestion, perhaps. But wait an instant!” He stood upon a chair, and, holding up the light in his left hand, he curved his right arm over the broad hat and round the long ringlets.
“Good heavens!” I cried in amazement.
The face of Stapleton had sprung out of the canvas.

[Chapter 13]

10. Magnificent climactic chapter, made perfect by having the same title as the book itself — CHECK

“Hist!” cried Holmes, and I heard the sharp click of a cocking pistol. “Look out! It’s coming!”
There was a thin, crisp, continuous patter from somewhere in the heart of that crawling bank. The cloud was within fifty yards of where we lay, and we glared at it, all three, uncertain what horror was about to break from the heart of it. I was at Holmes’s elbow, and I glanced for an instant at his face. It was pale and exultant, his eyes shining brightly in the moonlight. But suddenly they started forward in a rigid, fixed stare, and his lips parted in amazement. At the same instant Lestrade gave a yell of terror and threw himself face downward upon the ground. I sprang to my feet, my inert hand grasping my pistol, my mind paralyzed by the dreadful shape which had sprung out upon us from the shadows of the fog.

[Chapter 14]

>> No.21571583

>>21570874
Hound of Baskervilles was highly dependent on building an atmosphere of fear from supernatural and the crazy, for that mission a highly impressionable dr. Watson was far better as a witness to events than the perpetually practical Holmes, until it was time to save the day.