[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 418x300, pic27lit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2155659 [Reply] [Original]

In my art class are we writing poems based on paintings, I've chosen Dali's, The Temptation of St. Anthony.

Does any e/lit/ists have any advice concerning poems? Especially poems inspired by paintings.

Sorry in advance if you don't like this post.

>> No.2155663

you can
>explain what is going on the painting with a poem
or
>tell what the painting makes you feel

also dali sucks, pick a better surrealist painter

>> No.2155669

I've thought about basing it on the theme of earthly goods (temptations of lust, greed, power) versus the Christian faith, which helps us not being seduced in various meanings.

The split between the upper, heavenly, part, and the landscape with St. Anthony is interesting as well, regarding the religious idea of dualism, the body is a prison for our soul. The body wants the temptations, but the soul only wants the pure good, God.

>> No.2155679

>>2155663

Thank you, actually very helpful.
Wrote something reflection the fear of temptations, also because we've talked about this lately, having a theistic teacher (Not a theist myself), and he somehow thought that the other alternative to faith is letting in to temptations.

And point taken about Dali. It's just mainstream, the only thing I've "worked" with, in other contexts. But i get the point.

>> No.2156069

>>2155679
do the same thing for a painting by ives tanguy