[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 101 KB, 900x726, 1277864435955.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2155171 [Reply] [Original]

Are the Four Great Chinese Classics or whatever they're called a decent read?

I've heard Water Margin recommended once, and I really like that period of history, but juts wanted to see /lit/'s opinion.

>> No.2155174

If you're talking about the four classic Chinese novels, then definitely.

A lot of people tend to prefer Romance of the Three Kingdoms to The Water Margin though. I suppose it depends on whether you're more fond of military and war, or martial arts.

But all four of them are more than a decent read, if you get good translations.

>> No.2155180

>>2155174
Are there any translators in particular you recommend?

As someone who has studied Latin in the past, I know how important that can be (and how many different approaches there are - liberal vs. literal translation, etc.)

>> No.2155197

>>2155180
The Foreign Languages Press box sets are generally preferred for all but The Story of the Stone, for which the Penguin Classics version seems pretty much agreed to be the best.

>> No.2155215

the story of the stone was all one of my housemates taked about through first year

>> No.2155218

I've read two and a half out of the four, and I would definitely recommend Water Margin and ROTK.

Journey to the West was pretty dull, and I could only get about halfway through it before I gave up.