[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 585 KB, 752x717, 1656699765858.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21546954 No.21546954 [Reply] [Original]

>ever since a couple months ago I've felt an unbearable sense of extreme overwhelming meaninglessness as if a realization of my own subjective existence and nothingness has been forced to the front of my mind and will not leave me no matter what I do
Books on coping with this feeling? I am too guilty to commit suicide on account of the impacts it will have for those around me but I really would like to find some alternative. Honestly at this point I'm considering rampant drug/alcohol abuse, that way I'll both numb my senses to what's happening around me and likely will sour all my relationships so I won't be mourned if I die very soon.

Obviously a true alternative would be to simply live in a lucid state with these thoughts fully dispelled from my mind but I have come to doubt this as possible. A friend who asked me what was wrong with me said it sounded like nihilism, but this is almost an active sensation, like a malignant and oppressive force on me.

>> No.21546966

kill yourself then and stop whining

>> No.21546987

>>21546966
fair enough

>> No.21547273

>>21546954
drugs and alcohol will only leave you worse off at the end of it, if you ever see the end of it.
start writing i’m a journal. if you already write, take it more seriously. don’t think too much about it, just write.
once you have more than a few entries, look for the themes, the trends. connect the dots.
you will never understand the world without understanding yourself.

also the vanilla advice: talk to people more, work out, etc.
suicide is fucking boring; if you really want to exit life, at least throw your money at something that might pay off (100x leveraged bitcoin long) and then go fuck whores in a foreign country. or anything else that’s less boring than dying.

>> No.21547579

The Myth of Sisyphus.

>> No.21547606

>>21547273
Pathetic cope

>> No.21547705

>>21547606
not as pathetic as >>21547579 lmao

>> No.21547864

>>21547606
shiieeet i’m chillin, no need for coping. i’m even getting pussy on saturday ;)

>> No.21547878

>>21546954
>subjective existence
>my own nothingness

What are you even talking about? These aren't your feelings, thats jargon. In my experience depressed feelings usually come from frustrated ambition, hopelessness and a sense of inevitable loss

My advice would be to write a journal entry about what you dislike about your life and think of ways to fix it

>> No.21548435
File: 642 KB, 1022x731, It's_All_So_Tiresome.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not OP but:
What really shits me is that the things I don't like about my life I'm pretty certain wouldn't make be really feel better if they were different. I don't have strong relationships with anyone but there's no one in my life that I want to build a stronger relationship with. Besides I know no matter what I do these relationship are only externals that aren't really going to change my inner state. And this logic applies to all things I can imagine changing about my life. They are only externals that won't really impact the way I react to being alive and having experiences (which I don't really have any more because my life is so monotonous). The monotony is my problem just like the perspective I take on life. I'm just over it. It's like this kind of inverse stoicism where instead of the thought of death motivating me to pursue goals or help others I just think about how lucky I would be to die. This (I guess) problem with my perspective (that happiness is (supposedly) about how you react to things not the things themselves) blunts my alturism because it seems like no matter what I do there's no way I can make people change their perspective.
I think I'm just really afraid deep down but I don't know why. Obviously I want to have relationships with people. I can't deny that it is preferable to being lonely. But then I'll have to put up with their stupid shit. I can't help but think of this anecdote about Socrates from Diogenes Laertius: someone asked him if he should get married to which Socrates answered, "either way you will repent it." This is how I feel about all relationships. It's how I feel about living in general. I don't even know why I'm bothering to whine like this.
I think perhaps I just may be too stupid to be able to flourish and be happy.

>> No.21548488
File: 1.46 MB, 2289x1701, 1611312397491.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21546954
>Books on coping with this feeling?
Unironically study NDEs and realize that there actually is an afterlife and that we are eternal and will go to heaven unconditionally when we die, and that life is like a video game or a simulation and you actually chose to come here and that the meaning of life is to learn to love and be kind and thrive here despite how hard it is in this world. And the book in pic related is known to convince even hardened skeptics that there is an afterlife. And as one NDE researcher said that he does not know anyone who has read the literature on NDEs who has not been convinced by it.

Here is a very persuasive argument for why NDEs are real:

https://youtu.be/U00ibBGZp7o

It emphasizes that NDErs are representative of the population as a whole, and when people go deep into the NDE, they all become convinced. As this article points out:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mysteries-consciousness/202204/does-afterlife-obviously-exist

>"Among those with the deepest experiences 100 percent came away agreeing with the statement, "An afterlife definitely exists"."

Since NDErs are representative of the population as a whole, and they are all convinced, then 100% of the population become convinced that there is an afterlife when they have a sufficiently deep NDE themselves. When you dream and wake up, you instantly realize that life is more real than your dreams. When you have an NDE, the same thing is happening, but on a higher level, as you immediately realize that life is the deep dream and the NDE world is the undeniably real world by comparison.

Or as one person quoted in pic related summarized their NDE:

>"As my soul left my body, I found myself floating in a swirling ocean of multi-colored light. At the end, I could see and feel an even brighter light pulling me toward it, and as it shined on me, I felt indescribable happiness. I remembered everything about eternity - knowing, that we had always existed, and that all of us are family. Then old friends and loved ones surrounded me, and I knew without a doubt I was home, and that I was so loved."

Needless to say, even ultraskeptical neuroscientists are convinced by really deep NDEs.

>>21546954
>Honestly at this point I'm considering rampant drug/alcohol abuse
Better to just study NDEs and become ultraspiritual, but if you feel like that is not enough and the drugs are screaming for you, then do ayahuasca. It will help you fix your life and worries, rather than ruin your life like most drugs do.

>> No.21548585

>>21548488
I don't disbelieve in an afterlife but
>you actually chose to come here
this I do not understand. Why would be choose to do this? Only thing that comes to mind is, what, to teach others that it's just a game? Then why would other people come down seemingly just to make the games of other people shit?

>> No.21548604
File: 82 KB, 203x293, veriety.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21546954
Try reading this. goes into the various aspects of melancholy in some really compelling prose and excripts, and isnt actually all that "religious" its more a psychological study on the experience of it all and goes between various denominations and even irreligious persons and compelling figures like Tolstoy Emerson and Whitman, as well as unknown average people who wrote of their experiences. absolutely great read.
>>21548488
This title sounds supremely self conscious.

>> No.21548616

Not OP, but I know exactly what you're talking about OP. I'm old enough to have lived life, and throughout my years I was rich and poor; had friends and was alone; succeeded and failed and so on. Nothing I ever did made me feel any different to how I feel now. I know that if I was wealthy I would feel the same, if my gf was a model I wouldn't find her any more attractive, if I held power it would not bring me any comfort. I'm destined to forever be numb to everything around me, and it makes me laugh when people feel joy over some triviality like getting a car they wanted, or buying a dog. I cannot even comprehend the possibility of a physical object bringing me any joy, and how can other people not see past this?

Nothing exists in this physical reality which our bodies occupy that can give us a valid reason for being. There is no meaning in anything material, and without meaning we cannot exist. Often at night I lay in my bed and allow my thoughts to swallow me up, I gave up trying to "think positively" a long time ago. Modern philosophy has attempted to fill this void of meaning through conjecture and coping, but no matter how much of it I read none of it brings me any joy. I was thinking a few days ago that literature has brought me nothing, it is better to be unaware of out desperate state of existence rather than to contemplate it. The Greeks cursed us all through their gifts.

>> No.21548658

>>21548488
>I felt indescribable happiness. I remembered everything about eternity - knowing, that we had always existed, and that all of us are family. Then old friends and loved ones surrounded me, and I knew without a doubt I was home, and that I was so loved.
Same shit happens when people are connected to a ventilator due to covid, they have incredibly vivid dreams which they think are real. Once they wake up they seriously think that they were friends with Elvis or Obama. It's simply the brain firing wildly. Are these people experiencing something which exists for certain? Surely you wouldn't think so, yet it's comforting to believe that there is an afterlife due to a handful of people who have had their brain fire wildly in its death rattle. Surely you aren't this naïve anon?

>> No.21548684
File: 840 KB, 462x260, 1673484136168320.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You'll just get tired of it eventually and move on. There is no point in worrying obviously. I used to feel the same. I was pretty bad, I would routinely wake my mother up while in elementary school because this exact thing was weighing down on me. She now never lets me forget that cringe phase. It's like running or crying or something. Eventually you'll just sort of stop on your own

>> No.21549097
File: 709 KB, 1982x1115, ca2416d0f2d04d9a87061b7d4f54de5a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21548488
Can you explain why some people choose to come here to do this?

>> No.21550045

>>21549097
>>21548585
>Why would be choose to do this?
Eternity is really long and we get to do whatever we want. Our creator wants us to experience everything we wish to experience.
>>21548658
>Surely you aren't this naïve anon?
Surely you are not so uncharitable and naïve to think that ultraskeptical neuroscientists have not seriously considered that possibility just like you have? And yet, when ultraskeptical neuroscientists have NDEs they still conclude that what they experienced was real, which is why the argument in this book >>21548488 is airtight.