[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 98 KB, 639x971, 611jyjp4atL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21530025 No.21530025 [Reply] [Original]

What are the worst non-fiction books you've ever read?

I had a really boring time with this biography. He managed to make Timur's amazing story utterly uncaptivating. If I had to guess I would say that he was under contract to make this book, but when he began researching he suddenly discovered that there weren't actually that many sources. So he filled the book with stories of his own personal travels in the region as he researched the book, had a entire, and long, chapter dedicated to an 1800s play written about Timur, and in an effort to really show the destruction Timur caused, he gave whole histories of the ancient cities that he conquered but he essentially tells the same story multiple times of the rise of each of these cities and how Timur then came and ruined it all.

>> No.21530330
File: 29 KB, 368x368, Chad At the Door.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21530025
>I had a really boring time with this biography. He managed to make Timur's amazing story utterly uncaptivating.
That's usually how biographies are. Not every moment of someone's life is filled with excitement, even with someone as exceptional as Temur Leng

>> No.21530387

That's why you never read mainstream trash, and seek out obscure/forgotten gems instead. Read the Harold Lamb biography, that one's the exact opposite of boring. Worth reading just for the amazing prose.