[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 26 KB, 232x235, Sade_(van_Loo).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2149984 [Reply] [Original]

Hello,

This is going to be a thread about Marquis de Sade. Just write whatever you think about his writings. I'm very interested in different, intelligent interpretations used in various ways. Was he a sharp writer or was he simply an infantile, one-dimensional materialist?

>> No.2149988
File: 15 KB, 1036x772, 1316783142324.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

This picture sums it up.

>> No.2149990

>>2149988
no it doesn't

>> No.2149992

>>2149990
It does though.

>> No.2149994

>>2149990

It does, but 'it' is his very limited knowledge on the subject.

>> No.2149996

sade was hardcore

>Was he a sharp writer or was he simply an infantile, one-dimensional materialist?

this are not mutually exclusive

>> No.2150005

>>2149994
You may say so, yes.

>>2149996
Of course, that's true, but these two opinions are often representative for each part in discussions about him. You may also say a sharp psychologist.

Do you people find, that there is a lot to take from his writing? I've got the impression that many people consider him very brave, but at the same time find it rather hard to extract more than the 'few' obvious main arguments and opinions, that are repeated all through his writings.

>> No.2150010

I read Justine years ago and pretty much all I can remember is that I enjoyed the heck out of it.

I hadn't gotten used to authors speaking almost directly through their characters, so I thought it was "bad writing", but I now realize it's a common occurrence in philosophical fiction.

>> No.2150075

>>2150005

>Do you people find, that there is a lot to take from his writing? I've got the impression that many people consider him very brave, but at the same time find it rather hard to extract more than the 'few' obvious main arguments and opinions, that are repeated all through his writings.

I think its mostly because the arguments and opinions don't require much extra deliberation. A philosophical outlook like his, or for example Max Stirner's, doesn't require a lot of detailed arguments to back it up. The burden of proof is with the opposition. The case for this kind of radical egoism (and/or hedonism) is easily made. When this is established, all you can do is repeat the argument in different ways and contexts, which makes the chance somewhat greater that one of them will land with the audience and supplies like-minded individuals with ammunition for debates . The power of someone like the Marquis lies exactly in the obviousness of his arguments. It makes them hard to refute.

The remaining question for me seems mostly to be if the lifestyle De Sade describes is actually the most satisfying way to live. In other words, in which direction must we steer ourselves, after we've been freed of morality and the like, to optimise our experience of life?

>> No.2150099

I think he's silly.

>> No.2150165

Juliette made my dick hard

>> No.2151367

I think its satire to ridicule immoralists. Sade was a decent man.

>> No.2151370

>>2151367
It is satire to ridicule moralists, actually.

>> No.2151376

>>2151367
>sade was a decent man

what

the nigga was crazy

he raped dudes and shit

shoved enormous dildos up his ass

no normal person comes up with the shit he wrote

>> No.2151446

Normal people give me the creeps.

>> No.2151501

>>2151376

He also had a relationship with a loli when he was 70.

>> No.2151521

>>2151370

if it was that, he would have written books describing morally acceptable actions, through sarcasm and irony.

/highschool/ needs to catch up on their english lessons

>> No.2151553

"Whatever the monstrosity of Sade, he does not point into Auschwitz; it is more true to suggest he points out of it."