[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 22 KB, 203x285, TheStranger_BookCover3[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2147930 [Reply] [Original]

So, I just read The Stranger. Entry level stuff, I know, but having loved this book for the atmosphere, absurdism and subtle humour, while not caring much for the philosophical aspects, what books would you recommend to me?

>> No.2147934

The Fall by Camus

hilarious and has some really cool historical/biblical imagery. also the prose is beautiful.

>> No.2147936
File: 28 KB, 300x300, 035_steve_jobs--300x300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>> No.2147941

Notes From the Underground

>> No.2147944

Notes from Underground or entry-level Kafka

>> No.2147957

>>2147944

Is Kafka entry level because he's popular?

As for the OP, I'd recommend for Camus.
If you want absurdist humor, Samuel Beckett and Edward Albee are gold.

>> No.2147959

>>2147934

Was a big fan of the rather stark prose of The Stranger. If it's anything like that, I'm sure I'll get a kick out of it.

>>2147941
>>2147944

I pretty much know nothing about literature so you'll have to be more specific than 'entry-level Kafka'. The Metamorphosis seems kinda neat.

Notes from Underground does seem pretty neat.

>> No.2147972

>>2147959
"The Fall" is highly philosophical. The prose is more dressed up than "The Stranger"--Jean-Baptiste Clamence is a gregarious and erudite narrator.

Here's just one part of it I like very much:

"This is so true that we rarely confide in those who are better than we. Rather, we are more inclined to flee their society. Most often, on the other hand, we confess to those who are like us and who share our weaknesses. Hence we don't want to improve ourselves or be bettered, for we should first have to be judged in default. We merely wish to be pitied and encouraged in the course we have chosen. In short, we should like, at the same time, to cease being guilty and yet not to make the effort of cleansing ourselves. Not enough cynicism and not enough virtue. We lack the energy of evil as well as the energy of good. Do you know Dante? Really? The devil you say! Then you know that Dante accepts the idea of neutral angels in the quarrel between God and Satan. And he puts them in Limbo, a sort of vestibule of his Hell. We are in the vestibule, cher ami."

>> No.2147984

>>2147959
This.