[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 43 KB, 600x600, a51.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21477759 No.21477759 [Reply] [Original]

What are in currentyear the rules and customs of haiku poetry? Can you write a haiku about literally anything or does it have to be about the seasons or something?
Writing haikus can be fun and easy way to express an idea or feeling somewhat creatively but I don't want to desecrate the medium

>> No.21478774

Swag

>> No.21479113

theres nothing about japanese culture that isnt already or is underserving of desecration weeb.

>> No.21479117

>>21477759
Look at the wikipedia on Haiku. Then scroll to the bottom and see what critical essays are cited and read those.

>> No.21479832
File: 59 KB, 600x600, pepe dr pepper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>form depends on counting morae and using one of a limited set of words
>trying to use that form in a language without morae and without those words

>> No.21479946

I've been studying haiku lately too. This is what I can answer from the top of my limited knowledge.

>What are in currentyear the rules and customs of haiku poetry?
Contemporary western haiku normally tends to disregard the 575 metric entirely. It's common to just write anything within 17 syllabes to preserve the overall aesthetic of it, but nobody is going to bat an eye at you for going a syllabe or two longer if the idea is good.
>Can you write a haiku about literally anything or does it have to be about the seasons or something?
Haiku function like snapshots of reality. Disregard yourself and what you think, haikus are not about showing what you feel about something— it's about telling your reader about something you've witnessed or lived through and hoping that, maybe, they will feel something similar to what you felt.
Haikus are characterized by "season words," which are markers that point towards the season the event is set in. It can be anything from mentioning petals (spring) to snow (winter) or outright using the word summer or autumn somewhere. Personally, I think that's a trash rule, one that I am more than willing to break, and no classicist is going to convince me otherwise.
Most haiku you see around are seiryu, though. They're cynical or humorous haiku that speak of the human condition, and don't really take the season pointers in consideration.

I recommend reading The Haiku Handbook and lurking around HSA's site. Haiku is a great art form, I wish /lit/ was more into it. The threads rarely go past 30 posts.

>> No.21480707

>>21477759
Should be a truncated sonnet's volta/sestet, a visual interjection--
Paradoxical imagery and puns abound. Play with it analogically.

>>21479946
>It's common to just write anything within 17 syllabes
There are different haiku formats in Japanese as well. It's flexible. If you can't get it to work in the limits you're using, you can always give it a title.

>> No.21480778

Tanka>Haiku
>秋や来る露やまがふと思ふまで
>あるは涙の降るにぞありける

>> No.21480781

>>21479946
Glad to see another anon on here who's also interested in modern haiku. Have you tried submitting any of your poems to any magazines?

>> No.21481087

>>21480781
I don't know any. Care to link some?
My very first exposition to haiku was less than a few months ago. Some anon posted this one:

"washed-out lilac board:
you've swallowed my nights, which once
i spent reading books"

And it just stuck with me enough to go searching for some more. I know a few names that I really enjoy (like Lee Gurga) but I don't really know any magazines I could possibly send my own stuff to.

I guess I should practice more before I do that, too.

>> No.21481359

>>21481087
There are tons. I've been in nearly every major English-language haiku magazine there is. The gold standard is Modern Haiku Magazine, but Frogpond and The Heron's Nest are also in most people's top three. Michael Dylan Welch's Graceguts website might have a comprehensive list of journals, but ones like Tsuridoro also have links to other journals and such in the margins of their websites.

>> No.21481797

>>21477759
Look at the wikipedia on Haiku.

>> No.21482024

>>21481359
Thank you a lot! I'll give them a shot. Do you have any tips, anon?

>> No.21482099

>>21480778
Tankabro...they truly are the superior form of poetry

千早ぶる
神代もきかず
龍田川

からくれないに
水くくるとは

>> No.21482265

>>21477759
you are not desecrating the medium if you put your heart in it
even the Japanese men who wrote haikus back in the day were mostly posh aristocrats jerking each other off, your poem about how frog ass makes you aroused is automatically more worthy than Jōrotaru Tatsumaru writing yet another dry poem about cicadas so the other nobles in the room can pretend they're wiping mascara off their face to show how sensitive they are. Literal tiktok tier shit.
>her rear green and tight
>she splashes nude in the pond
>my wank goes to her

>> No.21483645

>>21482099
this one has been ruined for me by the rakugo anecdote

>> No.21483661

>>21482024
Most people who're starting out with haiku make the mistake of writing super traditional poems, both in form and subject matter. Whether you're writing haiku or senryu, try to write about things you actually see and experience today, and don't bother with the 5-7-5 structure unless your poem absolutely needs it. Beyond that, just keep reading what the best poets today are doing and let it guide you as you figure out your own voice. Took me about three or four months of writing haiku every day to start writing publishable stuff 'cause I had no one pointing me in the right direction.

>> No.21484975

>>21482099
Who wrote this one?

>> No.21485005

Language is for retards
Go chop wood

>> No.21485981

>>21485005
>Language is for retards
And yet you posted in one...