[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 294x390, Daniil_Andreev_Front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2145787 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /lit/. Could you maybe advise a good book on the theory of poetry or whatever the fuck it's called? You know, the book that says "This shit is called peon. It is written so and so. Stress goes here and here, rhyme goes here and here, rhytms should go like this: bumpity bumpity bump".

I tried googling myself, but only found a very vague dictionary of literary terms.

Pic semi-related, a poet.

>> No.2145791

Get a book called The Ode Less Travelled by Stephen Fry.

It's an introductiopn, which is what you need, but it will cover quite a lot.

>> No.2145794

Wikipedia. Don't pay money for that shit.

>> No.2145796

Just hang around here, and wait for the anal cannon guy

>> No.2145801

>>2145796
To write poetry you just place a funnel into an asshole, and the 2nd whore pukes into it. After the ass is filled with puke, a cock then fucks it until the pressure is all built up. After the Asshole has been fucked hard enough, the cock is pulled out and the Anal cannon explodes! To top it all off, ass to mouth occurs, with both ladies licking off the fresh mix of vomit and ass for the ultimate in poetic art!

>inb4 implying that poetry is shit. Because it is.

>> No.2145804

>>2145801
poetry is shit.
life is shit.
poetry is life!

>> No.2145811

>>2145804
>It's logical, so it must be true!

>> No.2145815

very vaguely related question. how do you guys read poetry? when i read books i tend to just read the words and "blankly" interpret them, or read them in a very fast slurred mental voice, or a real mental voice if i'm tired

for poetry i don't really feel like i should be reading through the lines quickly to get the meaning, but it feels weird to force a mental voice to orate. is this just something i have to get used to?

>> No.2145818

>>2145815

Read it out loud.

>> No.2145822

>>2145815
I use a funnel.

>> No.2145823

>>2145811
0/10

>> No.2145824

>>2145815
I always keep a notepad and rewrite poetry word for word, along with particular lines. I believe it gives you a better connection with the text to actually put yourself in that position of having to write out and think about each word in repition.

>> No.2145830

>>2145822
>>2145818
>>2145824

thanks, will give these a try. not sure i can really read it out loud or do the funnel thing on a bus but i got plenty of time at home. & as for the writing thing that's pretty interesting although i'm not sure about how practical it would be for epics...

>> No.2145833 [DELETED] 

I try to understand each word used by the poet by reading every book the poet and taking part in all comparable endeavours. Yours was on the front, I take it. Go and serve onto the front. Join Kadyrov in his war against the enemies of Russia!
the book you're looking for is aristotle's ars poetica or the poem by horace. rhymes were made acceptable by mohammed in the qur'an; first picked up by persian poets they would through the crusades to troubadours of the provence.
Renaissance poets sought to combine the simple couplets of the troubadours with the depth of ancient free verse.

>> No.2145832

>>2145794
I'll just torrent it or steal in some other way.

>>2145791
Thanks a lot.

>> No.2145838

I try to understand each word used by the poet by reading every book the poet read and taking part in all comparable endeavours. Yours was on the front, I take it. Go and serve onto the front. Join Kadyrov in his war against the enemies of Russia!
the book you're looking for is aristotle's ars poetica or the poem by horace. rhymes were made acceptable by mohammed in the qur'an; first picked up by persian poets they would be sucked through the crusades to troubadours of the Provence.
Renaissance poets sought to combine the simple couplets of the troubadours with the depth of ancient free verse.
Stephen Fry, now, is one of talking heads on modern television in Britain. You should be reading Russian authors; Russian is the ultimate language for poets.