[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 112 KB, 1000x1080, C7F9BDB4-3522-427E-AD30-6CC12B114D36.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21419571 No.21419571 [Reply] [Original]

I’ll start:
>While the present century was in its teens, and on one sunshiny morning in June, there drove up to the great iron gate of Miss Pinkerton's academy for young ladies, on Chiswick Mall, a large family coach, with two fat horses in blazing harness, driven by a fat coachman in a three-cornered hat and wig, at the rate of four miles an hour.
Vanity Fair by William Thackeray

>> No.21419608

>riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

>> No.21420957
File: 174 KB, 367x321, 1670780796906393.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21419608
This gave me ball cancer

>> No.21421006

Snow-Balls have flown their Arcs, starr'd the Sides of Outbuildings, as of Cousins, carried Hats away into the brisk Wind off Delaware,-- the Sleds are brought in and their Runners carefully dried and greased, shoes deposited in the back Hall, a stocking'd-foot Descent made upon the great Kitchen, in a purposeful Dither since Morning, punctuated by the ringing Lids of Boilers and Stewing-Pots, fragrant with Pie-Spices, peel'd Fruits, Suet, heated Sugar,-- the Children, having all upon the Fly, among rhythmic slaps of Batter and Spoon, coax'd and stolen what they might, proceed, as upon each afternoon all this snowy December, to a comfortable Room at the rear of the House, years since given over to their carefree Assaults.

>> No.21421013

umber whunnnn yerrrnnn umber whunnnn fayunnnn

>> No.21421022

>>21419571
>at the rate of four miles an hour.
I haven’t read Vanity Fair and I know the book is trash by that phrase alone. I would close the book immediately if I saw that.
>mfw I looked up if vanity fair was a foreign novel with just poor translation, or language barrier
>no, it’s an actual English novel

Yikes, full hate for it then
Yikes

>> No.21421058

>The fact that the raccoons are now banging an empty yogurt carton around on the driveway, the fact that in the early morning stillness it sounds like gunshots, the fact that, even in fog, with ice on the road and snow banks blocking their vision, people are already zooming around our corner, the site of many a minor accident, the fact that a guy in a pickup once accidentally skidded into our garage, and next time it could be our house, or a child, Wake Up Picture Day, dicamba, Kleenex, the fact that a pickup truck killed Dilly, the fact that she’d successfully dodged cars for three whole years, the fact that she knew all about cars, but during that time the traffic grew, the fact that it’s crazee now, the fact that after Dilly got killed, the kids painted a big warning sign with a big black cat on it and stuck it right by the fence, but nobody notices it, the fact that they’re all going too fast to see it, When the cat died we had catnip tea , the fact that failure to yield causes one in five accidents in Ohio, the fact that car crashes are up twenty percent since 2009, haw tree, buckeye, black walnut, hickory, butternut, the fact that Stacy’s old enough to handle the road but the other kids aren’t, the fact that a little boy was killed in his bed just the other day by a skidding car crashing into his house, Ben asleep, the fact that there are two cardinals right now in the lilac tree, brown sugar, the fact that eleven percent of Americans carry on driving when the fuel-tank-empty light comes on, the fact that, boy, you’d think it’d be more like eighty percent, Ronny, chicken feed, the fact that there are macrophages, the fact that I dreamt I flew all the way to India to get a teaspoon of cinnamon but when I got home I realized I needed flaked almonds too, security, holding pattern, go figure, not in my back yard, the fact that we have to do our taxes and try to remember every little bit of income and expenditure, the fact that there was more of the latter than the former, Family Dollar, Zyker’s, password, username, “Your card is now active and ready to use,” the fact that not only do we have to calculate our income and expenditure but we gotta figure out how to get more money, and keep on getting money till we’re dead, Medicare For All, M4A, the fact that by the time Leo’s old enough to get Social Security it probably won’t even cover the price of a ham sandwich, much less a bottle of wine, the fact that we’re in for a wineless old age, oi veh, OJ, the fact that Leo has to go to Philly tomorrow and I’m not so good on my own, the fact that Ben knows so much for such a little kid, maybe too much, the fact that he says drugs work on a molecular level that can be assessed using logarithms and Schild curves, but I just pop ’em and leave the rest to chance, breakfast, alarm clock, laundry, Spinbrush, the fact that we have to have a cocktail party and I don’t know what to wear, the fact
Page after page of this garbage

>> No.21421080

>>21421058
>>The fact that the raccoons are now banging an empty yogurt carton around on the driveway, the fact that in the early morning stillness it sounds like gunshots, the fact that, even in fog, with ice on the road and snow banks blocking their vision, people are already zooming around our corner, the site of many a minor accident, the fact that a guy in a pickup once accidentally skidded into our garage, and next time it could be our house, or a child, Wake Up Picture Day, dicamba, Kleenex, the fact that a pickup truck killed Dilly, the fact that she’d successfully dodged cars for three whole years, the fact that she knew all about cars, but during that time the traffic grew, the fact that it’s crazee now, the fact that after Dilly got killed, the kids painted a big warning sign with a big black cat on it and stuck it right by the fence, but nobody notices it, the fact that they’re all going too fast to see it, When the cat died we had catnip tea , the fact that failure to yield causes one in five accidents in Ohio, the fact that car crashes are up twenty percent since 2009, haw tree, buckeye, black walnut, hickory, butternut, the fact that Stacy’s old enough to handle the road but the other kids aren’t, the fact that a little boy was killed in his bed just the other day by a skidding car crashing into his house, Ben asleep, the fact that there are two cardinals right now in the lilac tree, brown sugar, the fact that eleven percent of Americans carry on driving when the fuel-tank-empty light comes on, the fact that, boy, you’d think it’d be more like eighty percent, Ronny, chicken feed, the fact that there are macrophages, the fact that I dreamt I flew all the way to India to get a teaspoon of cinnamon but when I got home I realized I needed flaked almonds too, security, holding pattern, go figure, not in my back yard, the fact that we have to do our taxes and try to remember every little bit of income and expenditure, the fact that there was more of the latter than the former, Family Dollar, Zyker’s, password, username, “Your card is now active and ready to use,” the fact that not only do we have to calculate our income and expenditure but we gotta figure out how to get more money, and keep on getting money till we’re dead, Medicare For All, M4A, the fact that by the time Leo’s old enough to get Social Security it probably won’t even cover the price of a ham sandwich, much less a bottle of wine, the fact that we’re in for a wineless old age, oi veh, OJ, the fact that Leo has to go to Philly tomorrow and I’m not so good on my own, the fact that Ben knows so much for such a little kid, maybe too much, the fact that he says drugs work on a molecular level that can be assessed using logarithms and Schild curves, but I just pop ’em and leave the rest to chance, breakfast, alarm clock, laundry, Spinbrush, the fact that we have to have a cocktail party and I
Trying to imitate, Joyce and Failing horribly.

>> No.21421081

>>21421058
It picks up shortly after that
>The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all time are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all time. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics, instead, are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers.

>> No.21421086

>>21421081
Is she fucking serious. Beethoven for instance, is, god bless him, great, but he still appeals heavily to modern bourgeois values. A critic saying Beethoven is the greatest composer, is perhaps the most inoffensive choice, apart from perhaps Mozart. I also feel that critics generally prefer Bach.

>> No.21421103

>>21419608
this is kino
>>21421006
comfy
>>21421013
????
>>21421022
what is wrong with that phrase?
>>21421058
this sucks yeah

>> No.21421110

>>21421081
Also the Beatles do happen to be the best cadianate for the single greatest rock band. They are the most broadly great band, though of course niches have their own favorites, and rock has many niches.

>> No.21421115

>>21421086
in seriousness, that's a copypasta popular on /mu/. It's so known that often people will just post "the fact that" in Beatles threads and everybody knows what the next bits are. It originates from an Italian critic named Scaruffi
That text isn't in Ducks, Newburyport, but the phrase "the fact that" is used over 19,000 times

>> No.21421141

>>21421115
Oh. I don't go on /mu/. Interesting.

>> No.21421143
File: 2.45 MB, 3573x4321, E4518266-E68D-4984-AC22-9205CE9EF03E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21421115
>the phrase "the fact that" is used over 19,000 times

>> No.21421162

>>21421115
You mean she never drops the “fact that” opener? It’s actually like that the entire novel?

>> No.21421175
File: 692 KB, 1992x1458, Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 10.02.39 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21421162
read for yourself

>> No.21421180
File: 30 KB, 480x423, 42478F6F-5AB7-4F64-9128-09D74014DF81.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21421175
This sucks!

>> No.21421205

>>21421175
This is like some shit you'd write while manic or fucked up thinking you finally said fuck it and wrote something good, then you read it later and it's total shit and you delete it

I guess women don't have the shame and self-awareness part since they have to rely entirely on external validation for their identity

>> No.21421242

>>21421103
>>21421013
It's the opening line to Misery by Stephen King. It's supposed to be a distorted hearing of "number one your number one fan" said by Annie as Paul first wakes up in the start of the book. But it's terrible as an opening line.

>> No.21421352

>>21421205
that seems harsh. would you say the same thing about Joyce when he lists off the different names for HCE for like 15 pages?

>> No.21421376

>>21419571
>IT WAS LE BEST OF TIMES, IT WAS LE WORST OF TIMES.
Pick one faggot

>> No.21421942

>>21421352
>t. seething femoid facing the dark cold truth of sexual dimorphism.

>> No.21422556

>>21419571
You can't convince me that this isn't the worst introduction to a fantasy world ever.

"One cannot raise walls against what has been forgotten.
The citadel of Ishuäl succumbed during the height of the Apocalypse. But no army of inhuman Sranc had scaled its ramparts. No furnace-hearted dragon had pulled down its mighty gates. Ishuäl was the secret refuge of the Kûniüric High Kings, and no one, not even the No-God, could besiege a secret.
Months earlier, Anasûrimbor Ganrelka II, High King of Kûniüri, had fled to Ishuäl with the remnants of his household. From the walls, his sentries stared pensively across the dark forests below, their thoughts stricken by memories of burning cities and wailing multitudes. When the wind moaned, they gripped Ishuäl’s uncaring stone, reminded of Sranc horns. They traded breathless reassurances. Had they not eluded their pursuers? Were not the walls of Ishuäl strong? Where else might a man survive the end of the world?
The plague claimed the High King first, as was perhaps fitting: Ganrelka had only wept at Ishuäl, raged the way only an Emperor of nothing could rage. The following night the members of his household carried his bier down into the forests. They glimpsed the eyes of wolves reflected in the light of his pyre. They sang no dirges, intoned only a few numb prayers.
Before the morning winds could sweep his ashes skyward, the plague had struck two others: Ganrelka’s concubine and her daughter. As though pursuing his bloodline to its thinnest tincture, it assailed more and more members of his household. The sentries upon the walls became fewer, and though they still watched the mountainous horizon, they saw little. The cries of the dying crowded their thoughts with too much horror.
Soon even the sentries were no more. The five Knights of Trysë who’d rescued Ganrelka after the catastrophe on the Fields of Eleneöt lay motionless in their beds. The Grand Vizier, his golden robes stained bloody by his bowel, lay sprawled across his sorcerous texts. Ganrelka’s uncle, who’d led the heartbreaking assault on Golgotterath’s gates in the early days of the Apocalypse, hung from a rope in his chambers, slowly twisting in a draft. The Queen stared endlessly across festering sheets."

>> No.21422574

>>21419608
>riverrun
this sounds like something Joyce would shit out just for le epic troll