[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 875 KB, 3128x1632, 1666593520488397.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21418700 No.21418700 [Reply] [Original]

>get extremely hyped to read a book
>read it, genuinely enjoy it
>5 minutes later browse my phone
I remember as a teenager reading well past midnight because I was so enthralled. But now it just seems my attention span is fucked after not reading for a decade. Does it get better with time? Do I need to learn some "focus techniques"? I want to read more after realizing
>holy shit i watch mindless youtube videos gpr 3 hpurs a day and scroll through 4chan 4 hours a day, what a fucking waste

>> No.21418765

Try audio books while your adhd is being debuffed by a menial hand based task like dishes or yard work.
I was much like you, could plow through book after book and was even borderline addicted to them. As soon as I was allowed to have a personal computer at the end of high school my reading dropped off dramatically. Then after years of neglect I tried reading in that style again and my reading skill sucked ass.
It sounds like you crave stimulation. Try doing some chores while listening to some really good books. Audible has a handy feature where you can rewind by 30 sec per click, so when your mind wanders, you can rewind until you get back into your groove. This manual and purposful course correction applies some sort of formative effect on our very plastic brains and you will soon feel like you once did, consuming books after book.
Picking up audiobooks has changed my adult life.

>> No.21419255

>>21418700
>>21418765
Your only solution to fix the root problem is to remove the causes. Your brain will never want to read because it finds that other activities (youtube, browing 4chan, playing vidya) gives it more stimuli. You either need to eliminate these other options thoroughly and completely or surrender to the fact that you will never be able to escape from your vices.
t. dopamine refugee