[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 26 KB, 346x300, 1313655859000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2140156 [Reply] [Original]

I am interested in reading the bible for a deep understanding of what the text actually says. Does /lit/ have any suggestions as to which version to read?

Note: I am n NOT a believer. I am reading this for the same reasons on would read Le Morte d'Arthur. Please do not turn this into a religion troll flame fest.

>> No.2140158

learn hebrew

>> No.2140159

Learn Hebrew and read the original.
Translations are worthless.

For the new testament, learn Koine Greek.

>> No.2140165

I read (portions of) this one for a class on the history of early Christianity:

http://www.amazon.com/HarperCollins-Study-Bible-Student-Revised/dp/0060786841/

The translation is clear and readable with lots of footnotes and there are introductions to each book giving the historical circumstances of its composition. As a nonreligious person myself with no prior experience reading the Bible, I found it to be very useful.

>> No.2140168

>>2140158
>>2140159

Whilst these two seem like the average pompous troll, if you're interested in studying the bible at the highest level, then they are correct. Otherwise just pick up the King James copy.

>> No.2140178
File: 45 KB, 267x400, vc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>> No.2140181

Consider the oxford edition. I've heard it's pretty good as far as understanding and copious footnotes are concerned.

I enjoyed their version of Qur'an.

>> No.2140183

>>2140168
Richard Elliot Friedman is superior translation. And if you want context for insight into the meaning of the text as it would have been when first published, couldn't do better than the sources.

>> No.2140198
File: 64 KB, 649x525, bible.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

unfortunately, you are going to need a fluency in Greek, and Hebrew, and the greek of the Septuagint (official Greek version of the Hebrew canonical Bible), to understand some of the New Testament interpretations of Hebrew text...

>> No.2140219

Just a word to the wise, don't spend too much money on a good translation.

Most of the book is shit. Such as 'Numbers', which contains 30 pages straight of a fucking census in ancient hebrewland. Yeah, I'd love to read geneology of people I don't know instead of any of the stories.

I read through the bible as an Athiest but it was a slog. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Besides, it's not like people care anyways. Even if their beliefs are directly contradicted by the Bible they still don't change their minds ever. "Yeah, that crazy shit your church believes about demons and snakes, totally not in the bible"--> "Oh well I trust my pastor" --> FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Makes me rage every time

>> No.2140244

OP here. I'm quite surprised by some of the answers thus far. Not one New International Version or some other simplified modern English translation.

Also, don't worry about me spending too much on a good translation. I plan to get whatever version I settle on through inter-library loan. I spend my money on books I'll use a good bit.