[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 250x388, infinite-jest1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2139388 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/,

I want to read Infinite Jest. I know it's a journey and I want to ge tthe most out of it, so how do you think I can go about doing that? I was already told to keep a little log of people with a little background, but should I do something else? Should I read other books of his before I read infinite jest? (I've read Consider the lobster). I say all this because I know this isn't a book that you just pick up and read and expect to totally understand it. Thanks for any help.

>> No.2139394

I read "Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself," Lobster, girl with curious hair, supposedly fun thing, and then several interviews before I read it. Worked awesomely for me. And then after, read the theses up on Howling Fantods, especially Chris Hagens' and the one w/ Wittgenstein and Bahktin. The first time you read it though, just do it with excitement; don't try to pick apart or you'll go nuts. It's the same as reading Ulysses or Gravity's Rainbow or something. Just go along for the ride.

>> No.2139412

I'm about 250 pages in and starting to get that sinking feeling. Is it really worth plowing through all this verbal diarrhea?

DFW circlejerk general.

>> No.2139415

>>2139412

if your the kind of person who uses the phrase "verbal diarrhea" then prob not

>> No.2139425
File: 274 KB, 457x584, imgDavid Foster Wallace2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

OP has no reading comprehension, no style, appreciation of beauty.

Really, there's just no discernible reading talent there.