[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 5 KB, 348x348, Question_mark[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2139244 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /lit/, time for one of these?

What's the last book you read? Did you like it?
What are you currently reading? Liking it so far?
What are you planning on reading next? Any particular reason?

>> No.2139253

I haven't been here in a while, doesn't capsguy usually make these threads?

I last read Dubliners. I did not "like" like it. It was alright. The prose is not bad. The tales are almost-interesting. It just didn't particularly do anything for me.

I'm reading End of the Road, by barth. It's pretty good so far.

I'm planning on reading next? Uh, maybe titus groan or la chute.

>> No.2139294

the last thing I read was The Hunting of the Snark. is a big shit.
now I'm reading Sylvie and Bruno. is not all bad. gives the impression that Carroll is constantly striving to be Carroll.
when finished, will read Plenos Poderes, because it is one of the three books that I have left to finish his complete works (Neruda's).

>> No.2139303

S. Bernardo, by Graciliano Ramos. It's a good book by a great writer, it's very interesting.

I'm currently reading "The world as will and representation" by Schopenhauer and, yeah, I do enjoy it.

I'm planning on reading Nicomachean Ethics, it's not I actually want to read it but I need to.

>> No.2139318

John Dies at the End - A fucking stupid book, absolutely retarded. Naive humour and sloppy writing, and plenty of cringeworthy moments. But it was pretty hilarious and it was really fun to read.

Hollywood by Bukowski - Interesting so far. Full of thinly veiled celebrities acting up. His portrail of Godard was fun. His writing is nice and simple as always.

No idea what I'll read next.

>> No.2139327

Read: Foundation by Asimov, liked it a lot.

Currently reading: Blood Meridian by McCarthy, took me a couple dozen pages to get used to the writing style but it's quite rewarding. Holden is one epic motherfucker.

Planning to read: either Nausea or The Stranger because I feel like some existentialism, not sure yet if I'll read it in French or English.

>> No.2139398

The last book I read was Perfume by Patrick Süskind.

I am currently reading a book for my History of the English Language class, called The Story of English (McCrum).

I am planning on reading The Discovery of Heaven (or De Ontdekking van de Hemel) by Harry Mülisch.

>> No.2139418
File: 45 KB, 320x500, tumblr_l8umzrgdv01qaouh8o1_400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

last
>Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
It was alright. I would've enjoyed it more if I read it 5-8 years ago. Also watching movie first, then reading manga and then the novel itself isn't probably the best order, but yeah it was alright pulp-fiction.

current
>The Stand by Stephen King
I enjoy it a lot so far. I wish I could write like him - straightforward fun.

next
>Dance, Dance, Dance by Haruki Murakami
Because it's the only book by him I haven't read yet. I was saving it to hype myself up before the translation of 1Q84 arrives.

>> No.2139419

The last book I read was Existentialism as Humanism by Sartre. It's a good introduction to existentialism, but it is too simplified, to the point where some people could understand things Sartre didn't mean to say at all.

I'm now reading Dune, Living in the End Times by Zizek, and The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. All three are fucking great.

When I get done with those two I'll probably read Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals by Kant and/or The Hunger Games and/or The Book of the New Sun.

>> No.2139423

>>2139418
Oh lord, Dance Dance Dance is the last one for you?

It's my favourite. It was my first, that wasn't Norwegian Wood (and NW stands alone from the rest of Murakami's canon)

>> No.2139439

>>2139423
>It's my favourite
Oh really? I'm glad to hear that! I'm fairly positive I'm gonna enjoy it, because I loved all the others. Funny thing is I don't see Dance, Dance, Dance mentioned that often. Well at least compared to NW, Kafka or Wind-up bird.

So far I enjoyed the Harboiled Wonderland the most.

>> No.2139449

>What's the last book you read?
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
>Did you like it?
Yeah, it was good. I can see why people go bananas for it.
>What are you currently reading?
Kwaidan
>Liking it so far?
Yeah, it's pretty good.
>What are you planning on reading next?
Ideas and Opinons Einstein. Maybe.
>Any particular reason?
Nope. Just to read it, I guess.

>> No.2139457

I finished a couple of minutes ago Pantaleón y las visitadoras - Llosa, it was ok, even fun.

My next book is a toss between Ada or Ardor, some Borges, Portnoy's Complaint or A Quiet Life (Kenzaburo Oe). I can't decide.

>> No.2140003
File: 7 KB, 226x300, the_Black_Sheep_and_Other_Fables.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Last book I read was The Black Sheep and Other Fables by Augusto Monterosso. I absolutely loved it.

Right now I'm reading A Tomb for Boris Davidovich by Danilo Kis (just reached the title story), and Imperial Messages: 100 Modern Parables (skipping around to all the authors I'm familiar with first). Both are pretty great so far.

And I'm planning to read Howling at the Moon and Blue: Poems by Hagiwara Sakutaro soon, because I read his prose poem Cat Town in a Green Integer short story collection and want more.

>> No.2140017

I last read John Le Carre's The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. It was okay.

I'm reading George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. Liking it so much that I've already bought A Clash of Kings.

I'm planning to read Thomas Pynchon's V. next, because I've read his three comparatively easy books (Crying of Lot 49, Vineland, Inherent Vice) and decided it's about time I started on the big ones.
Or I might just head straight on to A Clash of Kings.

>> No.2140246

Last: The Harvest by Robert Charles Wilson. -definitely one of the greatest books I have ever read.

Right now: Beggars Ride by Nancy Kress. -not as good as Beggars in Spain but its really picking up towards the end.

Next book: I have no fucking idea.

>> No.2140257

Demian by Herman Hesse. I enjoyed all the lofty thinking and about shit my pants when he used the word "aware" towards the end of the novel, which is the exact word me and my pretentious high-school friends used for certain people

I'm reading Three Lives by Gertude Stein right now. I enjoyed The Good Anna just for it's complete sketch of this person's life and what makes her tick, but I'm on the second story now and all her repetition of phrases is starting to make me wonder what it's there for. I didn't so much mind it in the first story, but it seems part of the weave of the much longer second part, which would probably be about 20 pages if she didn't repeat herself constantly

I want to read Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson next. My dad turned me onto it, said he found it in San Fran in the 70s along with the Urantia book and some other mystical stuff. It's a hefty tome, and apparently it's written densely on purpose, so we'll see what happens