[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 16 KB, 271x353, Hart_Crane (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21368026 No.21368026 [Reply] [Original]

Why do we human beings enjoy stories and poetry? Why is our imagination so important to us? Why aren't we just intellectual creatures who classify and catalogue their surroundings in purely objective terms—why do we go a step further and throw gods and heroes at nature's expanse, and construct gardens of eden out of the cruel and untamed wilderness?

>> No.21368048

>>21368026
faggot

>> No.21368064

>>21368026
Imagination is the highest form of intellect.

>> No.21368072

>my father’s father slayed a dragon, have sex with me so you’re son can slay dragons
>that spot over there? Great hunting place, here’s proof

>> No.21368091

>>21368026
Humans are drawn to storytelling since ancient times. It's an inherent part of us.

>> No.21368142

>>21368026
Because imagination is the highest form of intellect.

>> No.21368153

>>21368026
Dubious opposition you get there buddy -- 'the flat and mute way things obviously, transparently are' vs. 'the meanings we superimpose on them'. A king's power is a kind of fiction, the bond you feel with your proto-indo-european warrior brothers is a kind of fiction, the abstract system of globe-spanning relationships that links capitalist workers is a kind of fiction. Life is both concrete and abstract, inextricably, from the very start.

>> No.21368335

>>21368153
>Life is both concrete and abstract
True. We are creatures who deal largely in symbols.

>> No.21368380

That makes me wonder if humans are the only species that create art. Is there any animal that creates something resembling art? There is animals that embellish their appearance to attract mates but that's different. I think.

>> No.21368399
File: 287 KB, 831x1008, Ayn_Rand_(1943_Talbot_portrait).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Art is a selective re-creation of reality according to an artist’s metaphysical value-judgments. Man’s profound need of art lies in the fact that his cognitive faculty is conceptual, i.e., that he acquires knowledge by means of abstractions, and needs the power to bring his widest metaphysical abstractions into his immediate, perceptual awareness ...

>Literature re-creates reality by means of language ... The relation of literature to man’s cognitive faculty is obvious: literature re-creates reality by means of words, i.e., concepts. But in order to re-create reality, it is the sensory-perceptual level of man’s awareness that literature has to convey conceptually: the reality of concrete, individual men and events, of specific sights, sounds, textures, etc.

>All these arts are conceptual in essence, all are products of and addressed to the conceptual level of man’s consciousness, and they differ only in their means. Literature starts with concepts and integrates them to percepts—painting, sculpture and architecture start with percepts and integrate them to concepts. The ultimate psycho-epistemological function is the same: a process that integrates man’s forms of cognition, unifies his consciousness and clarifies his grasp of reality.

>> No.21368443

>>21368026

De3P.

>> No.21368645

>>21368399
>Literature re-creates reality by means of language
Wow.....this is such a vague surface level take.