[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 87 KB, 395x550, 329da1b1-0001-0005-0000-000001239983_w395_r0.7181818181818181_fpx49.88_fpy54.73.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21357734 No.21357734 [Reply] [Original]

What do 19th/early 20th century Darwinists/Social Darwinists mean by Monism?
Over and over you see them say how Darwinism refuted dualism etc.
Even religious ones like Haeckel call their believes monistic while fully embracing evolution.
Someone explain.

>> No.21358268

> One of the main ideas of this work is the great influence of ethnic mixtures, in other words of marriages between the various races. It was the first time that this observation was made and that, in bringing out its results from the social point of view, the axiom was presented that so much was the mixture obtained, so much was the human variety produced from this mixture, and that progress and the setbacks of societies are nothing other than the effects of this rapprochement. From there was derived the theory of selection which had become so famous in the hands of Darwin and even more so of his pupils. It resulted from it, among others, the system of Buckle, and by the considerable difference which the opinions of this philosopher present with mine, one can measure the relative remoteness of the roads which know how to clear two hostile thoughts starting from a common point. Buckle was interrupted in his work by death, but the democratic savor of his sentiments assured him, in these times, a success which the rigor of his deductions no more justifies than the solidity of his knowledge.

> Darwin and Buckle thus created the main diversions of the creek which I opened. Many others have simply given as truths found by themselves what they copied from me, mixing in as best they could the ideas of today's fashion.
Heh, owned the libs and the JOOS (and the atheists).

>> No.21358373

>>21358268
>Heh, owned the libs and the JOOS (and the atheists).
?