[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 43 KB, 313x475, 17208457.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21356839 No.21356839 [Reply] [Original]

What am I in for?

>> No.21356851

>>21356839
a menstruating vagina

>> No.21356856

Bleeding Edge received generally positive reviews from critics. Critic Michael Dirda, reviewing Bleeding Edge for The Washington Post, wrote, "Full of verbal sass and pizzazz as well as conspiracies within conspiracies, Bleeding Edge is totally gonzo, totally wonderful."[1] David Morris Kipen wrote for Publishers Weekly, "It's a peculiarity of musical notation that major works are, more often than not, set in a minor key, and vice versa. Bleeding Edge is mellow, plummy, minor-key Pynchon, his second such in a row since Against the Day (2006)... but in its world-historical savvy, its supple feel for the joys and stings of love — both married and parental — this new book is anything but minor. On the contrary, Bleeding Edge is a chamber symphony in P major, so generous of invention it sometimes sprawls, yet so sharp it ultimately pierces."[3]

Michael Jarvis in his review for the Los Angeles Review of Books compared it to modern day cyberpunk literature and wrote, "... all its exuberant visions of transcending the body through cyberspace — lay a deep anxiety about what it would mean to “value the virtual world more” than the material one, perhaps even to lose the ability to discern or enforce the boundaries between the two. Bleeding Edge manifests, with exquisite poignancy, the full human dimensions of those concerns."[4] Stuart Kelly for The Scotsman called it "unequivocally a masterpiece."[5]

Critic Michiko Kakutani, reviewing Bleeding Edge for The New York Times, called it "Pynchon Lite," and "a scattershot work that is, by turns, entertaining and wearisome, energetic and hokey, delightfully evocative and cheaply sensational; dead-on in its conjuring of zeitgeist-y atmospherics, but often slow-footed and ham-handed in its orchestration of social details."[6]

It was a finalist for the National Book Award for Fiction.[7]

>> No.21356864
File: 2.63 MB, 896x504, 1616936282460.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21356856
>its supple feel for the joys and stings of love
bad sign, not my thing.
>a deep anxiety about what it would mean to “value the virtual world more” than the material one
now we're talkin

>> No.21357453

>>21356839
Have you tried reading the book.

>> No.21357455

>>21357453
I'm about to as soon as I finish the idiot.

>> No.21357528

>>21356839
i read it a couple of years ago
i remember absolutely nothing from it but some 9/11 conspiracy bullshit
as compared to Mason and Dixon, even V, which have beautiful prose and tender poignant moments

>> No.21357725

Bump to survive the quiet night.