[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 79 KB, 398x700, nietzsche-uniform-1864.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21353663 No.21353663 [Reply] [Original]

>Wagner redeemed woman; woman built Bayreuth for him. All sacrifice, all devotion: they have nothing that they would not give him. The woman becomes impoverished in favor of the master, she becomes touching, she stands naked before him. – The Wagnerianerin – the gracefullest ambiguity that exists today: She embodies Wagner's cause, in her sign his cause triumphs. Ah, this old robber! He robs us of our youths, he robs us of our women and drags them into his cave... Ah, this Minotaur!

>The artist is perhaps of necessity a sensual man [ein sinnlicher Mensch] according to his type, which is generally excitable, open to every sense and stimulus, even to the suggestion of stimulus approaching from afar. Yet on average in exercising his task, in his desire for mastery, [the artist] is in fact a moderate, often even a chaste person. His dominating instinct wants it to be so of himself: he doesn’t permit himself to waste himself on this or that fashion. It is one and the same force which is spent in artistic conception and in the sexual act. There is only one kind of force. To succumb, to waste oneself is traitorous to an artist: it betrays a lack of instinct, of will in general, it can be a sign of decadence — it devalues in any case his art to an incalculable degree. I cite the most unpleasant case, the case of Wagner. — Wagner, under the spell of that most unbelievably perverse sexuality [im Banne jener unglaubwürdig krankhaften Sexualitdt] which was the curse of his life knew only too well what an artist forfeits therewith, namely his freedom and self-respect. He is condemned to be an actor. His art itself becomes for him a constant attempt to flee, a means of forgetting oneself, a self-numbing — it alters, and finally determines the character of his art. Such an unfree being [“Unfreier”] requires a hashish-world of strange, obscure, hazy fumes, and every kind of exoticism and symbolism of ideals to rid himself of his reality — he needs Wagnerian music. ... A certain catholicity of ideals is above all for an artist almost the proof of self-reproach, of “the swamp”: the case of Baudelaire in France, the case of Edgar Allan Poe in America, the case of Wagner in Germany. — Need I add that Wagner also owes his success to his sensuality?

>> No.21353674

Where from?

>> No.21353691

>>21353663
The ellipsis makes it hard for me to follow what he means by catholicity of ideals in this quote. Wait no I've got it.

>> No.21353705

>>21353674
The first is The Case of Wagner, the second is his private notebook in 1888.

>> No.21353713

>>21353663
>muh life-affirming
>be a sclerotic faghomo in real life

>> No.21353744

>>21353713
upvote

>> No.21354183

>>21353713
Yep, perfect summary of Nietzsche.

>> No.21355359

>>21353663