[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 28 KB, 336x486, C.s.lewis3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2124531 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/, C.S. Lewis seemed like a pretty smart guy: an Oxford professor and decently cool Christian apologist. Why'd he decide to write children's fantasies?

>> No.2124533

A man's gotta eat.

>> No.2124534

>>2124533

honestly?

>> No.2124535

Why does anyone write children's books? Dr. Seuss was no idiot, and that's almost all he did.

>> No.2124537
File: 169 KB, 463x1310, gustav-klimt-gold-fish-to-my-critics.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Indoctrination of course.

>> No.2124540

Lion Jesus.

>> No.2124542

to make the Bible seem cool to kids, I don't know.
And I don't mean that against him, I think Lewis is pretty cool

>> No.2124543
File: 26 KB, 400x400, 1303197476441.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>decently cool Christian apologist.

>> No.2124569

Because writing children's books is fun. Not everything you do in life has to be a 2deep4u intellectual endeavor.

>> No.2124580

>Christian Apologetics
>Children's novels

Pick one.. And he picked fantasy novels at the end of the day. Evidently, he got schooled in a debate with a philosopher (A chick named Anscombe, who was a student of Wittgenstein) and never wanted to write another word on apologetics after that.

>> No.2124602

/lit/, Charles Dodgson seemed like a pretty smart guy: an Oxford professor and a prize-winning mathematician. Why'd he decide to write children's fantasies?

>> No.2124603

>>2124602
cause he wanted to fuck them.

>> No.2124610

Because adult readers are self-entitled, picky faggots who demand political synchronity if they deign to read you. Also, no kid has yet called an author "pretentious" if they start to play with the language or make allusions.

>> No.2124611

>>2124580
to be taken with a grain of salt.

Anscombe herself said this:

"The fact that Lewis rewrote that chapter, and rewrote it so that it now has those qualities [to meet Anscombe's objections], shows his honesty and seriousness. The meeting of the Socratic Club at which I read my paper has been described by several of his friends as a horrible and shocking experience which upset him very much. Neither Dr. Havard (who had Lewis and me to dinner a few weeks later) nor Professor Jack Bennet remembered any such feelings on Lewis's part [...]. My own recollection is that it was an occasion of sober discussion of certain quite definite criticisms, which Lewis's rethinking and rewriting showed he thought was accurate. I am inclined to construe the odd accounts of the matter by some of his friends—who seem not to have been interested in the actual arguments or the subject-matter—as an interesting example of the phenomenon called projection.[5]"

though it's definitely possible that Lewis didn't have the heart to keep philosophizing.

>> No.2124662

>>2124580
>>2124611
Interesting. I don't recall Anscombe from the bibliography I read.

>> No.2124665

True story:
Lewis and Tolkin and some others there at Oxford made up a group that called themselves "the inklings" who met at the pub and talked about writing.
one time him and Tolkin were talking about fantasy and both lamented that no one wrote the kind of fantasy that woudl appeal to both kids and adults.
the rest is history.

seriously, google "inklings"