[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 20 KB, 655x509, C73D6583-1FCC-49C0-B426-9B927E169DB7.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21240512 No.21240512 [Reply] [Original]

>Toole submitted Dunces to publisher Simon & Schuster, where it reached editor Robert Gottlieb. Gottlieb considered Toole talented but felt his comic novel was essentially pointless. Despite several revisions, Gottlieb remained unsatisfied, and after the book was rejected by another literary figure, Hodding Carter Jr., Toole shelved the novel. Suffering from depression and feelings of persecution, Toole left home on a journey around the country. He stopped in Biloxi, Mississippi, ending his life by running a garden hose in from the exhaust of his car to the cabin. Some years later, his mother brought the manuscript of Dunces to the attention of novelist Walker Percy, who ushered the book into print. In 1981, Toole was posthumously awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

>> No.21240540

Walker Percy was based. holy

>> No.21240933

Gotta rope yourself to become a great author.

>> No.21240982

>>21240512
game was fucking rigged from the start

>> No.21240983

My friend once recommended I read Percy's The Moviegoer and I never did

>> No.21241681
File: 66 KB, 882x731, fren detecting.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21240512
>>21240982

>Robert Gottlieb
>Early life and education. Robert Gottlieb was born to a Jewish family[2] in New York City in 1931 and grew up in Manhattan. During his childhood, he "was your basic, garden-variety, ambitious, upwardly mobile, hard-working Jewish boy from Brooklyn. I was bound to go beyond my parents. It was simply the way things were."[3] His middle name was given to him in honor of his uncle, Arthur Adams who is now known to have been a Soviet spy.[4]

Simon&Schuster

>Early life
>Richard Leo Simon was born on March 6, 1899, to a Jewish family[2] in New York City. His father, Leo Simon, was a wealthy feather-and-silk manufacturer and milliner of German Jewish origin, and his mother, Anna (Meier), was a German Jewish immigrant.

>Early life
>Schuster was born to a Jewish family[2][3] on March 2, 1897, in Kałusz,[4] then Austria-Hungary, today Ukraine. His parents, Barnet and Esther Stieglitz Schuster, were American citizens and brought Schuster to America at age six weeks.[

Hmmm.

>> No.21242257

>>21241681
The Jews conspired to keep Confederacy of Dunces from being published? Why?

>> No.21242298

>>21242257
Capote: Well, it has brought about the rise of what I call the Jewish Mafia in American letters. This is a clique of New York-oriented writers and critics who control much of the literary scene through the influence of the quarterlies and intellectual magazines. All these publications are Jewish-dominated and this particular coterie employs them to make or break writers by advancing or withholding attention. I don’t think there’s any conscious, sinister conspiracy on their part—just a determination to see that members of their particular clique rise to the top. Bernard Malamud and Saul Bellow and Philip Roth and Isaac Bashevis Singer and Norman Mailer are all fine writers, but they’re not the only writers in the country, as the Jewish literary Mafia would have us believe. I could give you a list of excellent writers, such as John Knowles and Vance Bourjaily and James Purdy and Donald Windham and Reynolds Price and James Leo Herlihy and Calder Willingham and John Hawkes and William Goyen; the odds are you haven’t heard of most of them, for the simple reason that the Jewish Mafia has systematically frozen them out of the literary scene. Now, mind you, I’m not against any particular group adhering to its own literary values and advancing its own favored authors; such cliques have always existed in American letters. I only object when any one particular group—and it could just as well be Southern, or Roman Catholic, or Marxist, or vegetarian—gets a strangle hold on American criticism and squeezes out anybody who doesn’t conform to its own standards. It’s fine to write about specifically Jewish problems, and it often makes valid and exciting literature—but the people who have other messages to convey, other styles and other backgrounds should also be given a chance. Today, because of the predominance of the Jewish Mafia, they’re not being given that opportunity. This is something everyone in the literary world knows but never writers about.

Playboy: Aren’t you opening yourself up to a charge of anti-Semitism?

Capote: No

>> No.21243116

>>21242257
>The Jews conspired to keep Confederacy of Dunces from being published? Why?
Jewish genes conspired to keep it unpublished

>> No.21243708

>>21241681
The "every single time" meme really isn't a meme at this point. It's just a statement of fact that anyone can prove with five minutes of Wikipedia research.
Maybe this Hitler chap was onto something after all....

>> No.21243983
File: 81 KB, 1080x1331, Giga.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21242298
>Playboy: Aren’t you opening yourself up to a charge of anti-Semitism?
>Capote: No

>> No.21243989

>>21241681
I don't even look at the early life section anymore

>> No.21244955

test