[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 28 KB, 300x371, nabokov.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21231248 No.21231248 [Reply] [Original]

Is writing a good book a skill one can study and practice? Or is it given by God or nature?

>> No.21231271

>>21231248
Prartially god given butneven then it has to be developed from early childhood. Developed by reading and writing but mostly reading.

>> No.21231302

>>21231271
It's actually developed by mostly writing. Only reading leads to the kind of cringy purple prose that betrays lifelong mediocrity, especially in an early age. Translating is a good hobby to develop your skills if the source material isn't complete shit.

>> No.21232267
File: 13 KB, 315x500, Longinus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21231248
Yes

>> No.21232310

>>21231248
I think the best writing has something to say and presents it in a way that engages the reader, whether that's through entertaining, challenging, critiquing, or outraging them, is up to the author. While writing is like any artform in the sense that there are those that seem naturally talented, I think it is ultimately a skill. Very few writers have made an incredible work as their first act of writing, even those that did built up their abilities in other mediums first, like journaling or vocal story telling. For example, Nabokov's life brought him to a variety of places, and he learned many languages, spoke to many people, and read many works in their native printing, all of which clearly helped to develop his ability to make engaging literature.

While there are many ways to approach writing a good book, I think the important thing is to realize what you want to communicate with it, what do you want the reader to believe about the work when its over? If you just want people to think you're smart, that's not a good enough reason to write a book, and no one will think it at the end of it.