[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 7 KB, 300x440, House-of-Leaves-Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2111421 [Reply] [Original]

I'm about to start reading this.

I bought it a few years ago after a friend recommended it, saying it was great. I never got around to reading it until now.

What am I getting myself into?

>> No.2111427

Postmodernism for teenagers.

Still, just because that sounds pejorative doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. I think the book is enjoyable even if it isn't "classy."

>> No.2111428

A while lot of mindfuck, and a damn good book.

>> No.2111438

>>2111427
I like this summary.

I had a lot of fun reading HoL. In fact, I read it twice, and enjoyed it more the second time. I'm a little embarrassed by the lack of subtlety it displayed in its advertizing and the execution of its pomo elements, but I still found it extremely enjoyable.

>> No.2111449

a semiotic graphic novel and/or tryhard dadaist comicbook LOL

>> No.2111467

>>2111449
You haven't read this book, have you.

>> No.2111495

It was sort of good but I started getting sick of it.
Enjoyed up until "they stopped going into the hallway,I thik
I also tried reading it stoned,twice and well it fucked it up for me as I didn't really remember what I was reading,and my eyes start to hurt when Ive had a smoke and try and read for a while.

>> No.2111519

Gimmicks. Lot of them.

>> No.2111527

The book is very good. But sadly,it's one of those dual narratives, where one rocks and one sucks. And they don't really go together, although people pretend they do, for some reason.

The gimmicks were okay, nothing special, nothing terrible. I focused on the substance, not the style.

>> No.2111529

Best book I've read in a while.

>> No.2111535

>>2111427

Pretty much this.

>> No.2111545

>>2111467

You're not literate are you?

>> No.2111557

thanks for reminding me, i need to finish it

from what i remember the story itself is fine, but just skip all the gimmicks except the letters at the end. those were actually worth trying to figure out.