[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 18 KB, 372x420, faminist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2111002 [Reply] [Original]

I dunno, I didn't think it was sexist at all. The 'submission speech' and the whole moon/sun ordeal between kate and petruchio was them acting within the story; a flirtatious game. Whether the speech is sarcastic or not isn't the point, but how she 'played her role' in front of the other characters for our mr. petruchio. He's the first person, presumably, to take her for what she is. And to love it. She was only tamed in appearance and the very submission speech is evidence of that. I didn't see a change in her character, just an understanding and all that love stuff.

I've this constantly, where a work will be labeled something thus that's all most people can ever hope to get out of it.

cough cough

>> No.2111164

bump

>> No.2111173

>>2111002
Critics are actually split as to whether the play is sexist or whether it's completely anit-sexist. Key in the interpretation is how the last scene is played on stage. Is Kate happily following Petruchio's orders, or does she do it so she won't suffer any more abuse?

Glad I could help you stop being stupid. Googling anything on criticism on this play would have told you this.

>> No.2111174

>>2111173
What the fuck do you think the point of this thread is you fucking imbecile?

>> No.2111181

>This is what a feminist looks like.
Dunno, I'd have sex with it, why the fuck not? It's fine.

>> No.2111195

hurr I read Shakespeare for any other reason than to better understand Joyce

"I'm a big dumb king sleeping in my king yard, oh no someone poured a poison into the exposed ear porches of my dumb king ears. I better come back and haunt my idiot daffodil son so he can make a bunch of lame speeches about shit and kill everyone."

-Harold Bloom on Hamlet

>> No.2112256

>>2111195
But you have to admit they're pretty damn good speeches..

>> No.2112926

>>2111002

Of course it depends on how you read it, but the way I see it Petruchio is just a more mature version of Kate, and he's trying to get her to endure the same privations he has during his travels so that she can also grow as a person. I mean, let's remember she's led a super-sheltered middle class life in a town where no one respects her and her father loves Bianca more. So at the end she realizes that, like Petruchio, she can use how she presents herself to others as a form of manipulation, and so finally one-ups the people who have been harassing her all her life, essentially pushing her into a life of shrewishness, by behaving as the perfect model of a wife. At the same time her final speech picks on Petruchio by describing what an ideal husband should be--basically the opposite of what he's been thus far. But he accepts this because it demonstrates that she's learned his lessons. Then they go fuck, signifying that all is well.