[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 61 KB, 467x605, tumblr_lmcx2zp5Kp1qeu6ilo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2109214 [Reply] [Original]

Is /lit/ familar with Mishima Yukio? I've read "The Temple of the Golden Pavilion" and a short play entitled Patriotism.

He's quite an interesting character. Well, was I should say. He took a Japanese high-ranking officer (his friend, actually) hostage, made a speech to the stationed troops about reviving the Emperor, and, after being jeered at, committed seppuku with the assistance of his militia. .

Anyway, I've got to choose a topic on one of the two pieces. I wasn't sure if any of you are familiar with him, and had any interesting I could examine about either of the works.

If you would like to read Patriotism (fairly short) go here:

http://www.libs.uga.edu/reserves/docs/main-fall11/mori-cmlt4620-6620/patriotism.pdf

password is sheep

>> No.2109267

bumping

>> No.2109278

cool thanks man
have you ever seen Mishima: A life in four chapters?

>> No.2109285

He's an interesting guy. I have little sympathy for someone who commits suicide (regardless if it's culturally acceptable or not) but his views are something intriguing to me that I'd like to explore further.

I've read 'Spring Snow' and although it followed the traditional star-crossed lovers plot, it was cynical, beautiful, insightful and just homoerotic enough for me to like it immensely. I don't care much for Japanese people talking about damaging Western influences, however - I've heard it a thousand times.

>> No.2109309
File: 36 KB, 313x320, yukio_mishima.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2109278

I have not, though my professor did mention something about it. I'll definitely check it out.

>>2109285

He's a incredibly interesting writer. You can find a lot of western philosophy (romanticism, nihilism) in his works.

I will agree with you there. the subtle elitism to Western ideas is stale. The Japanese thinking that there exists a "right" or more "important" nature/pleasure/existence simply because it teeters on more ambiguous and arguably trivial thins is a very narrow view.

>> No.2109364
File: 9 KB, 179x281, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2109309
he is really talkin smack on the west?

well i lol'd