[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 855 KB, 550x1028, no_title_by_phobs-d4b6sj5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2108506 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, first time poster here. I was just wondering if there were any books you felt like telling me about, or dropping the name of the author, title, et. al, that made you feel either extremely happy, or extremely depressed.

So, any books, once you finished them, that have made you feel as if you were in a state of euphoria.

...GO! Also... Anyone seen a play called "Equus"?

>> No.2108508

If you liked it, read/watch Royal Hunt of the Sun

>> No.2108509

>>2108508
I'll be writing all of these down, so, any insight onto plot?

>> No.2108512

>>2108508
Why did you like it?

>> No.2108517

Is Equus the one where Harry Potter does full frontal?

>> No.2108520

The Hearing Trumpet by Leonora Carrington, Kornel Esti by Dezso Kosztolanyi, and The Summer Book by Tove Jansson all left me feeling very euphoric. Couldn't stop smiling for hours.

The first is a modern fairy tale sort of story, taking place in an old lady home with all sorts of feisty old ladies and a lot of surreal and charming things happening. The second concerns a writer and his mad alter ego, with episodic chapters on Kornel Esti's experiences ranging from a scene on a Bulgarian train where he has a meaningful conversation with the Bulgarian guy while only knowing six words of Bulgarian to the symbolic train ride at the end of the novel summarizing the entire philosophy of the novel. And the last has a grandmother and her granddaughter on a rather remote island, experiencing nature, life, etc. I can't explain it well, but it "reads like looking through clear water and seeing, suddenly, the depth," as the back cover says.

Stoner by John Williams and Too Loud a Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal both left me exceedingly depressed, but I loved them.

Stoner more or less chronicles the life of Stoner, a literature professor. I couldn't not feel absolutely horrible for him - his entire life, the meaninglessness, "what did you expect?" Too Loud a Solitude just had an excellent ending, also having a lot to do with uselessness and meaninglessness. About a man who compresses wastepaper for a living.

>> No.2108523

>>2108517
.... not harry, but yes. full frontal.

>> No.2108527

>>2108520
I'll take a peek. c:

>> No.2109307
File: 28 KB, 310x475, Scarecrow_&_Other_Anomalies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Not sure if OP is still around, but if they or anyone else want another "euphoric" book recommendation, I want to mention Scarecrow & Other Anomalies by Oliverio Girondo.

Never has a book filled me with so much love for life, for the world, and for everything in it. Not trying to be cheesy here, but I have never experienced such, well, euphoria, in a book before. I haven't actually finished it yet, but at the end of each little one to two page chapter I have to step away and just /appreciate/ everything. It is that full.

>> No.2109321

>>2109307
Something else I was going to mention - it gives me the same feeling I had when I read Daniil Kharms for the first time. I just feel this absolute need to go around reading passages from it to /everyone/. I have a supreme urge to share it as much as I can. For Kharms, I suppose he didn't so much make me happy as this book is doing, but he struck me with all the bits of extreme brilliance. Which I guess was still a euphoria. I'll recommend him as well!

>> No.2110093

bump