[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 39 KB, 310x390, fyodor-dostoevsky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2106478 [Reply] [Original]

So /lit/ I have some Dostoevsky sitting on my shelf "The Brothers Karamazov" and "Crime and Punishment" when I get through my other books which one should I read first, I am more inclined to read "Crime and Punishment

>> No.2106486

Crime & Punishment is a surprisingly easy read. Have fun.

>> No.2108347

Crime and Punishment is shorter, and easier because there's really just one story. Bros. K is three separate stories (four?) (five?), a bit more complex.

I'm one of those people who had to limit the number of pages I read of Bros. K every day, because it was taking up all my time. Others aren't so moved by it. YMWV, but either way, Crime and Punishment (Jesus, I was about to use the initials as an abbreviation: FUCK YOU /b/ you fucking perverts) is a better intro.

>> No.2108361

Throw that shit away. Another pompous fuck who liked to talk about courage when the biggest risk he ever took was people not liking his book.
Go fight a lion with a pocket knife and get back to me, cocksucker.

>> No.2108367

Only read Crime and Punishment yet, but I greatly enjoyed it and it is quiet easy. It can get a little slow and tedious at times, but it is worth it and very rewarding.

It is one of my favorite classic works. So I highly recommend it.

>>2108361

Well seems you have no idea about Dostoyevsky at all, right? Go read some history about the guy, seriously...

>> No.2108373

was in the same position a few days ago, through some action of my own I.... acquired both books. Started Bros Kazamarov first, I can't get enough of it. It's been a year and a half since a book has had me so enthralled. that being said, There are some disturbingly coincidental parallels between a character in the book and myself, so maybe I'm getting more out of it than most.

>> No.2108378

I don't like Dostoevsky. He's a good writer but damn does he loves his Jesus. i read The Brothers K but the only part I liked was The Grand Inquisitor. Ivan was the best.

>> No.2108387

>>2106478

Most people consider BK his best work, with Crime and Punishment being a close second. I preferred Crime and Punishment myself, but they're both brilliant.

>> No.2108393

>The Brothers Karamazov
>Introducing Aliosha and saying that "every one, indeed, loved this young man wherever he went", and how "the gift of making himself loved directly and unconsciously was inherent in him, in his very nature, so to speak."
>600 pages later, there's a fantastic dialog between Aliosha and Kolia, a very smart boy, where the latter litteraly falls in love ( admiration ) with Aliocha.

This kind of stuff always impresses me. The dialog was really well done of course.