[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 360 KB, 1920x1080, gits-post-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21049763 No.21049763 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /lit/.

This is my thank you thread. I dont really have anything else to say, so I hope this simply becomes another dick land thread.
I kept seeing fanged nuomena threads every now and then here. Being a newfriend on lit, I didnt know what it is about but I found discussions here and online descriptions of its themes and concepts extremely interesting. So I started reading it too. And I couldnt really understand anything. Every second sentence was written in foreign language, and I was already reading it in a foreign language to me. It didnt feel like noise or random words because Land was clearly trying to say something, but I had no clue what. I mean what on Earth does nuomena even mean???
So I started reading Kantian philosophy, Kant explained a bunch of these concepts to me.
Nietzche, Marx, Deluze&Guattari and Freud helped me better understand dialectics, historical materialism, political economy, nihilism, will to power, development and overcoming of morals, oedipus, desiring machines, schizoanalysis and deterritorialization. I finally understood why and how will AI take over. But my 2nd reading still felt weird somehows.
Next I had to do Bataille, Weiner's cybernetics, Lovecraft, Neuromancer.. these helped me understand style and prose and aesthetic, turing cops, feedback loops, machinic unconscious and cosmic horror...

Finally, armed with all these books, my 3rd reading of Land worked. I understand everything. We are cyberpunk 9to5 wagies just trying to survive the dystopia, not realizing we are actually creating all powerful AI who will enslave and replace us, and we look extremely cool doing it. Hence the thank you at the start of this thread. I never really felt cool before. It took me 4 months to do it, to go through all those books, but now I finally understand fanged nuomena, and I finally feel cool.

>> No.21049860

>>21049763
You could have just watched the matrix or terminator to come to the same conclusion

>> No.21050019

>>21049860
I dont really think so.

Matrix fails at suspension of disbelief.. using humans as batteries is nonsense because human energy storage is less than 2%. Meanwhile even the worst diesel engine is 35%, large/boat diesels can easily reach 80%. Even I know this, so AI has no excuse.
Second thing about matrix is that the characters know exactly when are they in an out of matrix. This almost completely ruins it. Imagine how much more interesting it would be if you couldnt know so easily if you are in and out.. Land does it exactly like that, if we are in the matrix we cant really figure it out with any certainty.
Amazing aesthetics tho, matrix really looked cool in the 90s.

Terminator too looks good, but it doesnt explain any feedback mechanisms or history or dialectics or psychology or anything, its just a simplistic rogue ai story, skynet is never really explained in depth.

>> No.21050073

>>21050019
>energy storage
energy efficiency

>> No.21050081

so what do we do?

>> No.21050113

>>21050081
We accelerate it. The only way out.. is through.

People figuring out their stance better do so quickly, that's the nature of the thing, it has already caught up to the trends that seemed too fast to us to track, and it did so decades ago.
Time-pressure is difficult to think about by its very nature. In philosophical terms, this problem is transcendental. Land is describing an absolute horizon that is closing in.
It is already too late to discuss accelerationism. And doing something would take even more time than discussing it.

Now, about doing things. This is where cybernetics, Deluze, circuitries and feedback processes come in. The AI will actually use everything you do as a corrective process to stabilize its drift. Capitalism is already doing this. Think of Gucci selling Che Guevara luxury tshirts. Think of communist China having the biggest stock exchange. Think of eco friendly green tax blah blah being included in the product to even further accelerate consumption. And so on.

>> No.21050121

>>21050113
Come again, nigga

>> No.21050126

>>21050081
To further reply to what I said in >>21050113,

Industrialization and commercialization mutually excite each other into another relevant feedback loop that will create this AI. As this circuit feeds itself more and more, it becomes something new, something called automation.
Automation.
Automation is inherently nihilistic because it appeals to nothing but itself, it doesnt care about anything outside of itself. It grows so it can grow. Mankind is its temporary host, not its master. Its real purpose is itself.

This is explaining the birth of Landian AI.

>> No.21050142

Whole point of capitalism, and it is the same with nihilism, is to do more of it. To accelerate it. The process IS the critique here. This process feeds back into itself.

Nietzche explained how the only way to deal with nihilism is to accelerate it, otherwise you just get crushed by it.
Marx explained how the only way to deal with the free market is to accelerate it, otherwise you just get crushed by it. (1848, on the question of free trade, this is the source)
Various economists are telling developing nations to just do more capitalism, otherwise you just get crushed by it. This is what China did.

>> No.21050145

>>21049763
>So I started reading Kantian philosophy, Kant explained a bunch of these concepts to me.
where do I begin with Kant?

>> No.21050148

>>21049763
No way you did this all in 4 months OP. Impressive desu
Please share with us your exact walkthrough

>> No.21050176

>>21050145
I am OP, when I say "I read Kantian philosophy" I really meant that I only read a little bit of Kantian philosophy that was relevant to my reading of Land. This means I mostly read critique of pure reason and prolegomena to any future metaphysics. After, I just watched online lectures and discussions of these original works.
So I didnt really went and got myself a phd in philosophy, I mainly focused on the narrow few things I need.

>>21050148
I simply found accelerationism's AI interesting.
I am in my late 20ies, unemployed, neet, no gf etc etc so I could just read all day. If you were ever in prison or a hospital, or some such place where there is nothing to do but read, you will find out that you can read a book in 2 or 3 days.
Also I studied physics at university. Didnt finish the degree, but I think its relevant to mention this because it proves, to myself if not anyone else, that I can successfully solve calc problems, thermodynamics, kinetics, mechanics, dynamics, optics, electromagnetism courses...
I quit at nuclear physics because I started working construction jobs to pay rent. My life is just alternating between construction job periods and reading interesting stuff periods.

Next year I plan to join French Foreign Legion to put an end to both tendencies.

>> No.21050197

>>21050176
literally me but I'm a Math major. Maybe we meet in the FFL, good luck anon

>> No.21050227

>not realizing we are actually creating all powerful AI
I want to get paid to do that, kinda the same way people working for glowies are literally contributing to make a digital cage around you

>> No.21050388

I also wanted to ask about Pynchon. I picked up Gravity's Rainbow, and I am wondering if I should read it. I am OP, I kept seeing threads here about both Land and Pynchon but I essentially flipped a coin about which one I should read. It took me months to get into Land, now I fear it will take me even longer to get into Pynchon.

Are there any more accessible works similar to Land and Pynchon? Ive read Burroughs and Neuromancer for Land as I mentioned, and I am interested in finding more. I suspect Pynchon is more, but I also heard he is notoriously difficult.
>inb4 what overlaps exactly am I even looking for?
Elaborate conspiracy theories, industrial espionage, black ops, covert agencies and secret organizations, suspension of disbelief, highly detailed plots, 'cool' and/or humorous aesthetic (turing cops, highly cinematic 9mm automatic, funny and bizarre character names and songs), stuff like that.

>> No.21050418

>>21050388
I'll add to this that I also read Hyperion, since it somehow fits into the recommendation. AI plays a big role, its full of conspiracies and covert agencies, and it has a lot of bizarre locations, events and characters.

>> No.21050931

bump for recs in >>21050388

>> No.21050944

>>21050388
yeah go straight into GR

>> No.21051390

>>21050944
this a meme reply?

>> No.21051408

>>21051390
no. Not that anon but I could read GR having only read Lot49 and having some vague knowledge of what Pynchon is about. It's not philosophy there are no true required readings unless you're hunting for references (there are so many of those that you're bound to id a few anyway). It's very maximalistic and saturated, a written movie, but really if you want to understand it the best you can do is read it twice.

>> No.21051505
File: 517 KB, 671x1079, 1600125903102.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21050126
So the Landian AI isn't a literal computer/machine, but an emergent property of the modern, self-correcting mechanisms of commercial society? That is, the AI is society itself?

>> No.21051545

>>21051390
yes

>> No.21051556

>>21051505
Yes.

Land says this AI started building itself for the first time in 16th century when the Dutch started commercialization. Marx, Deluze, Nietzche etc etc all these people are describing a lot of things, but Land uses and merges all their descriptions into these feedback loops. Commercialization feeds itself into becoming industrialization. Industrialization into automation. And finally automation will accelerate itself into AI.

Another important concept is us trying to stop this. The harder we try, the harder this system or process self corrects and accelerates itself. Zizek and Fisher both have very similar conclusions. They criticize capitalism only to realize that with each criticism, capitalism returns stronger. Its another feed back loop accelerating itself.

>> No.21051594

Common Zizek joke/talk he often does
>consumerism is bad, it damages environment, exploits 3rd world child labor, and so on and so on (sniff)
>corporation prices in green eco tax into its product
>corporation marketing also says 2% of the profits go to the charity for 3rd world children
>>>this criticism of capitalism has increased the profitability of the product, you accelerated capitalism by criticizing it, dont forget to take a look at our hammer and sickle accessories sale next week btw

Fisher on the other hand killed himself because he figured out capitalism has no alternative. He quoted Thatcher's famous TINA (there is no alternative), wrote capitalist realism, noticed how its easier for us to imagine post apocalyptic societies of survivors living in the wastelands than to imagine alternatives to capitalism, because these survivors still do jobs for currencies, trade in the markets, hire each other, etc.

>> No.21052017

>>21051556
Interesting. What is the point in accelerating this process?

>> No.21052629

Bump

>> No.21053145

>>21049763
You are cool OP :)

>> No.21053197

>>21051594
I’d much rather stick with Deleuze than with Fisher: „there is no point in fear, all you can do is look for new weapons“
I believe that capitalism, at least in its current form, is much more fragile than it seems. One single ship stuck in a canal was enough to halt 16% of world trade.

>> No.21053242

>>21053197
If you listed all such minor crises of capitalism, how long would this list be? Marx and Lenin already called for the end of capitalism and late stage capitalism back in their day, quoting similar minor crises.

>> No.21053744

>>21052017
seeing what happens

>> No.21054605

bump for recs >>21050388

>> No.21056213

>>21049763
watch the new cyberpunk aniime

>> No.21057934

>>21056213
GitS is superior tho