[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 50 KB, 400x534, 1663783478362502.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21026062 No.21026062 [Reply] [Original]

how can i explain the will to my friend? he just doesnt get it no matter how much i explain, he just keeps saying how "everything has a reason, the will must also, therefore", ive explained to him how the subject and object form the outside world of representation and how the will is that which is not representation but an inner feeling (so to speak), ive also explained how the intellect is secondary (it can get tired, the will cant, it can be made think something the will wants, etc.) but he thinks will is secondary and wishes come after intellect, i also showed him how everything makes perfect sense if we look at the world as driven by a blind irrational will, but he still doesn't get it, what is a way i can explain it so he can understand?

>> No.21026095

You can't. Schopenhauer wrote for Kantians. Do you actually understand Schopenhauer as much as you think you do?

>> No.21026103

can someone explain how the will even works? i dont get the idea that
>all you see is representation, what you feel (pain, pleasure, etc.) is will, those feelings arent representation, for some reason, therefore the will must be the thing-in-itself

>> No.21026106

the problem lies with the common definition of the word will
"You just don't want to" is usually a point of criticism directed at a persons lack of interest rather than an inherent inability to be moved towards the target. Therefor people believe will is a choice and thus subject to intellect and perception. Only when we understand that we don't control this common notion of will we can extrapolate it to the metaphysical degree.

>> No.21026189

>>21026095
>Do you actually understand Schopenhauer as much as you think you do?
yes, i think so

>> No.21026777

>>21026103
have you read Kant?

>> No.21026803
File: 5 KB, 225x225, images (8).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21026062
Schopenhauer's Will is far too metaphysical and abstract to convince anyone. This is why Mainlander reformulated it as representing individual wills, sort of like Aristotle's several prime movers in book Lambda of his metaphysics, which is available to everyone via introspection.