[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 3.27 MB, 1170x1455, David H. Berger.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20984508 No.20984508 [Reply] [Original]

The Commandant’s Reading List is a list of books recommended for United States Marines. Marine promotions operate off of a point system, and reading these books and submitting reports to your command can boost your education score and help you with promotions
https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2020/10/20/here-are-the-46-books-on-the-2020-marine-commandants-reading-list/
It was last updated in 2020, what do you think? Have you read any of these books. Many are about the Marines specifically, but many are not

>> No.20984702

Why aren't they starting with the greeks?

>> No.20984735

>>20984508
Some of them look okay, I guess. If they revised it every year and forced them to read these books they might've won a few more wars, is my opinion.

LikeWar is on my list, actually.

>> No.20984741

big doubt that any of these welfare queens earned a single paycheck
listen, if your job is to kill, you should be promoted based on the number of scalps you bring in, tell me how is my opinion wrong

instead of reading cybersecurity and random ww2 history trivia, they should be promoted based on the number of successful deployments, accomplishment of successful courses (rifle, radio mechanic, mountain, combat diving, parachute, idk, stuff these men would actually use), pull ups and running and all the physical stuff you need for soldiering, and demonstrating proper use of tactics, rifle grenadiers, crew weapons, scouting, patrolling, counter ambush drills, etc

united states simply needs to send all these commanders as mercenaries without any rank into ukraine, if they suck they die and no longer leech the budget, if they are good they advance the position of their country, its that simple
its a mistake having them read about ww2 trivia,

>> No.20984761

>>20984508
>Marine promotions operate off of a point system
Gay. They should be based on combat success and experience in the field.

>> No.20984935

>no Evola
holy cringe

>> No.20985205

>>20984508
>no Art of War
seriously? why?

>> No.20985329

>>20984741
You literally know nothing anon. You’re saying “they should be promoted based on” and then saying a bunch of things marines get promoted based on. All that stuff has a way bigger impact on your jepes than damn book reports. Sure, book reports have a positive non-zero impact, but that’s about it. You are genuinely retarded

>> No.20985331 [DELETED] 

>>20984761
You are also retarded and know nothing

>> No.20985431

>>20984761
Here’s how marine promotion’s work. There’s this thing called the “Junior Enlisted Performance Evaluation System,” or “JEPES.” Every Marine is given a “JEPES score.” Your JEPES score is a composite of four categories:
>1. Warfighting
>2. Physical Toughness
>3. Mental Agility
>4. Command Input
Warfighting is made of your rifle and your proficiency at MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Art Program). To rifle qual, you need to fire four shooting positions at ranges of 200, 300, and 500 yards. Marines are the only branch that makes you shoot at 500 yards. MCMAP is an utterly useless martial art desu, but you can’t win them all.
Physical Toughness refers to your PFT (Physical Fitness Test) and your CFT (Combat Fitness Test) scores. The PFT comprises pull-ups, planks (now, it used to be crunches), and a three mile run in PT gear. The CFT is in full uniform, you sprint 880 yards, lift an ammo can for two minutes straight, and then do a small obstacle course in these cones of maneuvering, carrying another marine, carrying ammo cans, crawling, sprinting, etc.
Mental Agility is made up of PME (Professional Military Education) and Self-Education. PME is classes the military makes you take. Make sure you understand leadership, basic policies, etc. nothing too crazy. Self education is stuff you do on your own time. This is where book reports come in. Those and college classes will help you here.
Command Input is all subjective. It’s just remarks and evaluations from your command. They give you evaluations and give you a score based on their eval.
Every category helps a bit, but ultimately no amount of book reports will overcome a terrible JEPES. A marine who shoots straight and runs fast will always be promoted before a marine who doesn’t.

>> No.20985457

>>20984508
Thinking Fast, and Slow is great. It should be on everyone's reading list. Once you read it, you realize most people make decisions based on their own biases, which are never questioned. Get to know people's biases, and you can predict their every move. You can also use their biases against them, making them your slave basically.

>> No.20985472

>>20984508
Hardly anything I recognize

>> No.20985486

>>20985205
>>20985472
The list has been changed by our new commandant and I’m just gonna tell you, the old lists are better
https://usmcofficer.com/marine-corps-knowledge/commandants-reading-list/

>> No.20985551

>>20985205
Because it's fucking useless in the modern sense

>> No.20985567

>>20985205
Because it reads like IG-tier inspirational philosophy quotes on warfare

>> No.20985585

>>20985551
t. Shoigu

>> No.20985747

>>20985431
Good post anon

>> No.20985962

>>20984702
Cos it's all about recent military history. If it didn't happen within the last 20 years it doesn't fucking matter to these outstanding individuals.

>> No.20985966

>>20985431
>Warfighting
this cringe needs to fucking stop

>> No.20986019

>>20984508
I've already finished First to Fight, and now I'm working on Hue 1968. Had to take a break from it due to all the school reading I was doing over the summer.
Based off of those two books, the list is next to useless in terms of real information. Every victory is portrayed as due to the intrepid Marines, and every defeat is due not to the civilian leadership, but the meddling of other branches in USMC planning.
However, the job of the books is not to provide accurate historical information. It is to replace your critical thinking in regards to the Corps itself and in doing so make you a more dedicated and unquestioning Marine. And I do say this as someone who plans on joining. So, if you take the books at face value, and let yourself be taken in by their messaging, then they are almost certainly useful for someone going for boot camp/OCS.
Also, I read Starship Troopers back in high school and it had me ready to grab an exo-suit and kill some skinnies myself.

>> No.20986144

There was a picture or video walk thru of a used bookstore near some major military base.
I’m not sure whether the pictures were posted here, or whether some Anon just mentioned the bookstore, but I looked the bookstore up.
There were stacks of ‘Halo’ books with multiple copies of each title.
I can only presume the Halo books were assigned reading, because I doubt the average soldier who reads is just going to read Halo books.
There were also similar stacks of certain standard military training manuals.

The Marine list was not quite what I expected.

>> No.20986626

>>20984702
Because the Greeks are overrated and they were refuted in their own time.