[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 120 KB, 247x461, 1662932530385287.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20980175 No.20980175 [Reply] [Original]

what is the most /lit/ job?
I'm an engineer and my brain is too fried at the end of the day to have the energy to write.

>> No.20980178

Monk

>> No.20980235

>>20980175
i'm an engineer too and i don't do any work. get a better job.

>> No.20980449 [SPOILER] 

Librarian or teacher

>> No.20980460

>>20980175
it's either rich NEET living off of family forture or low-tier wagie working some entry level job at a gas station or something

>> No.20980462

booktuber

>> No.20980494

All writers and artists were aristocrats or came from wealthy backgrounds.

>> No.20980501

>>20980175
Idk I though white collar work was the way to go..

>> No.20980817

Nothing. There are no /lit/ jobs anymore.

>> No.20980820

Investment banker or corporate lawyer

>> No.20980831

>>20980820
I did an analyst stint at an investment bank. It's not /lit/ in the slightest.

>> No.20980860

>>20980460

These are the only two selections. The rest are just fantasy.

>> No.20981041

>>20980175
i think you're better off creating the energy on your own. your job shouldn't prevent you from writing, people like bolaño worked blue collar and kept writing

>> No.20981467

Uber driver night shift. You get to read invetween rides.

>> No.20981562

>>20980175
State Bureaucrat in Austria-Hungary

>> No.20981655

cafe owner

>> No.20981659

>>20980175
firewatch
security guard that sits in a booth all day and works at a place that has no risk of actually needing his assistance
Any job that requires very little customer interaction and very little physical action

>> No.20981713

>>20980175
Writer

>> No.20981773

Diplomat

>> No.20981788

>>20980175
Professor, Writer, Priest/Pastor

>> No.20982274

>>20980175
Librarian or teacher

>> No.20982284

Line cook at Cheesecake Factory. That’s where I work and I think I’m pretty /lit/.

>> No.20982545

>>20981659
>Security Guard
If you can find a quiet job its optimal.

>> No.20982611

>>20980175
WFH SWE

>> No.20982622

>>20980820
>Corporate lawyer
I hope you mean in-house. Biglaw has some of the longest hours of any profession. I billed 3,000 hours my final year before quitting. Given billable hours are about 60% of total hours on average, that works out to almost 14 hours of work a day 7 days a week, no holidays.

>> No.20982627

>>20980175
>/lit/
>job
lol.
The most /lit/ "job" is being a rentier and living off of your family fortune. Go read Proust. Read the banal minutiae of his daily life, painstakingly recorded.
Not once does he do anything close to working. Tolstoy did nothing but live off of his fortune until he turned crazy and religious (at which point he lived off of the charity of others - still not working an honest job). Dostoevsky wasn't rich, but that does not mean he worked - he would spend all the comission he would get from his books on the roulette table in the faint hope that he would never have to work again, and when that failed, he preferred living in abject poverty to working. Thomas Mann lived off his family fortune. Joyce never had a real job. Woolf lived off of her husbands and family's fortune.

The tragedy of high literature and philosophy becoming available to the common man is that it was never meant for the common man. It is a flowering fruit of the most gluttonous and superfluous excess. It was a way for noblemen and the supremely wealthy to flaunt their absolute superiority - by being able to dedicate their entire lives to something completely and entirely useless, this dedication being necessary if you ever wanted to master the craft, they could show all the plebs just how wealthy they were.

The true oldfags here all made it because they bought LINK years ago, and if they weren't retarded, they sold at least some near the top. Those oldfags can now become literary because they never have to work a day in their lives. They wont though. Succeeding at literature requires not only ultra-wealth, it also requires a good upbringing - something a poorfags parents never delivered, because these parents were at work for all of their childs childhood. Hence, those oldfags who are now rich will instead spend their ill-gotten gains on prostitutes and ugly modernist houses, and will still spend their time shitposting on mongolian basket weaving forums.

>> No.20982634

>>20982622
The most /lit/ job in the legal field is a law clerk. Hours are great and a huge percentage of your time is spent writing/editing in a very particular way, including applying a lot of philosophy/theory of language at times. If you can swing a Supreme Court clerkship, you are a fucking god among men because of just how steeped in theory your average assignment will be. Meanwhile in corporate if you ever get to actually write anything yourself, it will be incredibly mundane and often soul-sucking bullshit (eg. filing a response claiming something like "those children we poisoned have no standing because of procedural concern Y").

>> No.20982642

I write about books for a living. Does that count?

>> No.20982646
File: 27 KB, 380x505, Mana Sama .jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20980175
What do engineers even do all day? And how did you become an engineer?

>> No.20982677

>If you’re to do anything reasonable in this world, you must have a class of people who are secure, safe from public opinion, safe from poverty, leisured, not compelled to waste their time in the imbecile routines that go by the name of Honest Work. You must have a class of which the members can think and, within the obvious limits, do what they please. You must have a class in which people who have eccentricities can indulge them and in which eccentricity in general will be tolerated and understood. That’s the important thing about an aristocracy. Not only is it eccentric itself—often grandiosely so; it also tolerates and even encourages eccentricity in others. - Aldous Huxley

>> No.20982682

>>20980175
Gene Wolfe was an engineer. There's no excuse.

>> No.20982709
File: 72 KB, 900x684, fffh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20980178
The only correct answer

>> No.20982882

>>20980175
Software engineer here so a little different, hated it so much after I started. Spent every day wishing I had just became a teacher or going to work in a factory or something making fuck all money while having a relatively simple job with some nice free time. I barely had the energy to read after work especially after going to the gym and cooking so it took me many months to get through books, relied on audiobooks while commuting but could only listen simple fiction with a good narrator. Stuck with the job for the cash and got a nicer software related job which I enjoy that I get to work from home and have much more free time to read.
Definitely try move jobs if you have been there for a while, unless you are really trying hard to climb the corporate ladder taking on extra responsibilities etc an engineer shouldn't be working extremely hard for 8 hours a day

>> No.20982983

>>20980449
Anon... Those jobs are cringe...

>> No.20983025

>>20982634
What do you think about working in legal academia, either as a professor or administrator?

>> No.20983041

>>20982627
Splendidly accurate. The same applies to fine art.

>> No.20983049
File: 70 KB, 1024x768, 1661275269130591m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I sell mattresses. I make about 50k, but that's only because I want to stay where I am for now. Once I move I'll be making closer to 110k.

About 80% of my work hours is me reading philsophy or using khan academy and wolfram alpha problem generatir. I get a customer per day, maybe. I work 11 to 7.

I study whatever I want. My boss rips weed vapes all day, my sales buddy gets me lsd.

High end sales is the king of /lit/ jobs. Once I decide to move and take a management position in a wealthier state I'll be doing virtually the same work with an extra 55 to 70k.

I love my life.

I live with my parents in law in a huge house, don't pay any rent.

>> No.20983379

Security is your best bet. Hardly even a job really, just you and another dude (depending on the size of the site) sitting around watching cameras and doing the occasional round. Co-workers are usually strange redditor-styled people.

>t.security guard at a synagogue.

>> No.20983392

>>20981655
Murakami core

>> No.20983402

>>20981788
Name one professor who was actually a good writer.
The best writers either lived off of inheritance while they wrote or did some low level wagey type job or back page journalism while they worked on their novels

>> No.20983408

>>20982627
Someone give this man a gold xD (i would myself, but alas I am poor so the best I can give is my upvote)

>> No.20983409

OP, there's only one answer to your question: NEET
Learn gibsmaxxing. Section 8, food stamps, welfare. Don't let your wagie pay pigs trick you into feeling ashamed of your lifestyle. This is the only /lit/ way of life in the modern world. Why should you work to support a society that doesn't respect you?

>> No.20983420

>>20982682
I thought he transitioned to editor for an engineering magazine before becoming a full-time writer

>> No.20983426

>>20983409
Welfare/living off of alms when you are capable of working will destroy your sense of self worth. Its better to take some low grade virtually thoughtless job that provides you with plenty of free time and mental energy to pursue your literary ambitions. Faulkner wrote some of his best works in the evenings while he worked at some Homer Simpson assembly line in the daytime

>> No.20983480

->>20983025
Rent of badly formatted text:

Jobs in legal academia could be pretty good, but there are caveats.

Administrators in legal academia don't write really. That isn't their job and many administrators as law schools and elite schools in general do not have legal credentials. The hours aren't so bad though, so if you can get into uni administration, admissions, etc., it might be nice, but it will not be very intellectual work. The rare dean who is also a prominent intellectual is the exception (e.g. Boalt's Chemerinsky). I honestly don't know how people like that find the time to do both. They're just built different I guess.

For legal academia in general, it really varies. The path to getting into legal academia is very long and difficult. You won't get there until you are in your thirties, likely mid thirties, at the very earliest, and up until that point you will probably have had to do something prestigious (in law prestigious means V100 or comparable biglaw, prominent boutique corporate law, big in-house corporate, federal judiciary, national public interest, and unicorn shit like particular positions in federal agencies, almost nothing else counts really) that also pays well, which means a few years biglaw minimum for 99% of eventual academics because other prestigious positions don't pay very well or are too hard to swing for almost everyone (2500 billable hours bear-minimum in most US markets that can support biglaw, forget about high-paying biglaw for the most part if you aren't in America, your pay will almost certainly be shit!).

If you aren't able to get into the academy without a phd on top of a JD, which is increasingly the case, you will also need to spend a ton of money on that phd program and teach (no scholarship $$$ for most doctoral programs) so the path there is likely pretty hellish and will leave you with no time. Once you get there you then have to fight for tenure and prior to getting tenure you won't have much freedom with what you teach, research, etc. Also, disregard all of this unless you went to a top school. In America that means NYU (if you do very very well), Chicago (if you do very well), Columbia (if you do very well), Harvard (if you do well), Stanford (if you do well), or Yale (just don't be dead last in the class). In Canada that means mostly just UofT. If you didn't go to one of those schools, academia is going to be almost impossible for you, with exceptions like Amy Coney Barret having networked perfectly after finishing #1 in their class.

>> No.20983490

>>20982627
Lmao
>implying
This is just cope for people of the working class who want a reason for why their writing is subpar.
It hasn't been remotely true since industrialization. Before then yes, the masses were uneducated slaves or serfs and literature was reserved for the landed gentry.

Since 1800 on some of the best literature the world has produced came from the working class and the impoverished. Melville, the greatest American novelist, spent most of his life either whaling or working as a failing insurance agent. Hemingway lived off of journalism scraps maybe one rung on the ladder above homelessness before The Sun Also Rises was published. In the modern era, Cormac McCarthy couldn't even afford electricity or running water when he was in his 20s and early 30s. Ishiguro was a decidedly middle class social worker before The Remains of the Day reached universal acclaim.

Even before industrialization, Shakespeare who many consider the finest to ever write was the son of a leatherworker. But brainlets will point to Tolstoy and Proust and conclude that one needs to have been born with a silver spoon in order to produce anything worthwhile, when really they are minority in post industrial literature

>> No.20983501

>>20983480
However, If you do manage to swing tenured legal academia, particularly at a prestigious school, you are basically set at that point and you will get paid good money to write about and teach almost anything you want until the day you die. The only way your life can be better is if you got appointed to the supreme court or circuit court.

What's more realistic is becoming some kind of a clerk (non-prestigious US federal clerkships are downright easy to get if you go to a T14 school and don't flop) and then later becoming a judge. You won't make huge money, but you'll be comparable to your engineer friends who don't move up to a leadership role, your benefits and hours will be insanely good, you get to retire early with a huge pension, and your work will be intellectually stimulating sometimes. Becoming a judge, even at the state level, is also the best way to getting into the Federal Judiciary, which is all of this but better because you are paid better and in practice almost never have original jurisdiction over stupid shit, only appellate jurisdiction. Academics also do not make more on average than federal judges despite the greater financial barrier to entry, though the pay ceiling is higher at better schools (like Elizabeth Warren was paid 500k~+ benefits her last year at Harvard).

If you try to slog through biglaw for the rest of your life you will never have any free time ever. Partners do even more work than associates somehow and have to spend much of their time wrangling clients at odd hours, so you have to pull 72 hour drug-fueled benders that much more often. Do not chase the money if you ever want to have free time or have a non-working weekend/holiday ever again. Run for in house/boutique if you want to stay private sector.

>> No.20983533

>>20983501
I'm considering law school and would clerk. My primary hang-up is my age because I'm currently 29 and would be 30 at matriculation. I have very little interest in private law so I tend to feel like it wouldn't be worth it.

>> No.20983544

>>20983501
>do all this
>succeed
>retire
>15 years later
>completely forgotten

>> No.20983680

>>20983490
This is all just the vaguest half-knowledge, but let's try
>Melville, the greatest American novelist, spent most of his life either whaling or working as a failing insurance agent.
Didn't he basically go whaling in his twenties and then retired early and bought a farm where he did most of his writing until he ran out of money in his later years and had do some customs office job? Doesn't sound like the average working class man.
>Hemingway lived off of journalism scraps maybe one rung on the ladder above homelessness before The Sun Also Rises was published.
Don't really know anything about him, but his father was a physician, his parents were well-educated, so at least not a working class background.
>In the modern era, Cormac McCarthy couldn't even afford electricity or running water when he was in his 20s and early 30s.
I remember a quote on Wikipedia where he seemed to imply that he basically never worked in his life. He chose not to have a job to concentrate on his writing, however that is supposed to have worked.
>Ishiguro was a decidedly middle class social worker before The Remains of the Day reached universal acclaim.
If I remember correctly he did odd jobs for a while until he married. That then allowed him then to become a full time writer while his wife had a stable income.
I'm sure there a few examples of real working class writers but my guess is that the overwhelming majority have a bourgeois background combined with having found a way to escape the eight-hour-workday of traditional wage labor.

>> No.20983686

>>20980460
I load groceries into cars at kroger then unwind by getting mega stoned at home n reading Joyce

>> No.20983719

>>20983533
Which country are you in? If you are in the US or Canada and want to even consider it for 2023, you better start studying for the LSAT right now and sign up for a test. I did mine in the physical format, which was ultra gay but it also filtered a lot of people. The bar is much higher now with the online test. To have a decent shot of a clerkship, you better do exceptionally well on the test so you get into a T14 school. Also, no one feels that private law is worth it, the problem is that private "biglaw" in the USA is just about the only thing in the legal world in any country that pays the kind of money that people think lawyers make, so it draws law students like flies to honey, especially those with a debt load to pay back. For example, I had so much debt from going to a T6 school without scholarship that I had no other choice than big unless I wanted to be stuck in PI work + LRAP for a decade minimum.

>>20983544
Unless you make it bit in some way you will be forgotten no matter what. A judge in a common law country is actually one of the most surefire ways to leaving an intellectual legacy. Unlike with academia where there is a glut of work that is rarely cited if ever, a judge, particularly at the federal level, leaves an impact on future judges and lawyers through their decisions. On the basis of stare decisis, if you ever touch on a subject, your work becomes relevant to, if not legally binding upon, basically any similar future case. Future judges will be obligated to read and cite your shit or later opinions/academic works, etc. that themselves cite you.

>> No.20983735

>>20983719
U.S.A. I'm taking the LSAT in October and plan to sign up for subsequent tests if I want to re-test, Application deadlines are February through April from what I've gathered. I was a bad undergraduate so I'd be counting on the LSAT and my work experience in applications. The money is a concern also. Between my age and cost, it makes me think it's not worth it. I am 100% not interested in private law at all.

>> No.20983763

>>20983719
Legacy if you consider being an asterisk glanced at by lawyers for a generation or so. I cant think of any judge aside from a select few in the SCOTUS who has left a lasting cultural or intellectual impact on civilization. Its a commendable job if you want to be respected and function as a larger cog that turns the mechanics of society, but its not very literary (as is the topic of discussion) to put in so much effort and undergo so much stress for something so ephemeral

>> No.20983766

>>20983735
How bad an undergraduate? As long as you are above a 3.0, you can go crush the LSAT (174 bare minimum if you are like 3.1 or something) and get into a T14, maybe even with a little bit of money even if you are not black/native american. If you are sub 3.0 and not black/native/hispanic, you might be totally locked out of the T14 at this point, including at schools that used to love super splitters like UVA (grade inflation and online LSAT with an easier distribution), which would make the possibility of good outcomes outside of the private sector much less likely and force you to do really well on a curve, which can never be assured no matter how hard you work at it.

Of course, if your work experience is particularly good, you can throw all of what I just said out the window. Get that 174+ and you have a good shot at T14+scholarship pretty much no matter what.

Also, the deadline is feb-april but admission are rolling. Even though in the post covid-era, early waves are smaller and you are a splitter which means later admission anyway, you want to get your shit in before January (before thanksgiving break is even better).

>> No.20983770

>>20981713
this. how the fuck are people saying anything but writer. a freelance writer who makes his living doing just that is without a doubt thee most /lit/ job

>> No.20983785

>>20982646
Not him but I design and build telephony systems all day for projects, as well as fix problems with existing builds and infrastructure. I'm private sector though.

>> No.20983786

Farmer or other blue collar worker. Imagine beating up your body then coming home and beating up your mind. That sounds comfy as fuck.

>> No.20983790

>>20983766
Below. It's been very frustrating because you are told to go to grad school and basically overcome it, but no grad school wants anything to do with you if your grades are that bad, even though I've been working since I graduated and I've been promoted every year and manage people 15 years older than me now.

>> No.20983795

>>20983763
But how else will you even get to be an asterisk? I went to a school ranker between 4 and 6, which means no chance at the supreme court pretty much no matter what. I am not on track to becoming a super prominent litigator either, so for someone like me a subnational federal position is the best I could do.
I also disagree that it isn't literary. A good opinions in the USA cite literature, philosophy, and theology. Some dissents/concurrences will cite nothing else and at the very least some future case book compiler might cite you even so.

>> No.20983821

>>20983766
>>20983790
Just to be clear, far below. I barely graduated. But I worked my butt off to get a job as a management consultant (at a small regional firm not McKinsey) and then I sort of screwed that up by leaving. The job I have now is good and as I said, I've been promoted, but it's not like consulting or investment banking or founding a startup, or even a high-end government job. So I am scheduled to take the test but I wonder if it would even be worthwhile.

>> No.20983827

>>20983795
If that's the case, I would definitely say to go for it. Focus on getting a 174+ and writing a very compelling narrative about your work trajectory and how you have changed for your PS. Pour your heart out into every optional essay as well and write a "why x" essay for every school you apply to even if they don't ask for one at all.

There is a silver lining with law school though. The admissions process here is the most meritocratic of any type of grad school due to the LSAT and universal recognition of its near perfect predictive ability for bar passage. You have a better shot at law school than any other type of grad school. SCOTUS might also ban affirmative action this year, which could help you immensely if you aren't brown/are the wrong type of brown (don't listen to the "getting rid of the lsat" thing, they made it optional already if you take the gre and only a couple schools will take the gre along in any context).

>> No.20983830

>>20983680
My point is that none of them had a cushy inheritance or social standing that afforded them the leisure to just sit around and read/write.
>Melville
He did retire from whaling while still young and had some moderate success with the stories he wrote from it, but he spent most of his later years in substantial debt do barious jobs at banks and insurance agencies. He borrowed money to biy a farm which failed
>Hemingway
His father was a physician but their relationship was strained and after Hemingway left for Europe they had little contact. Hemingway outlines his finances early in his career very clearly in Moveable Feast, he merely had access to education no different from anyone else in middle-upper middle class America.
>Cormac
Did you miss the part where i said he lived without having running water or electricity? Yes he wasn't working class in the sense that he refused to hold a job, but it came at great sacrifice since he had no money at all to fall back on and would often simply go without food.

If you want an uktra specific working class author Faulkner drafted the first couple chapters of As I Lay Dying on the hull of an oberturned wheelbarrow on his downtime during his shifts as a factory nightshift supervisor.

>> No.20983840

>>20983827
Meant for >>20983790

>>20983821
If you are liable to at least get a 173+ go for it. Even if noT14 will have you due to being sub 2.5 or something, WashU will have you and may give you more than two years tuition in scholarship money. They are the only school worth attending that basically does not care about gpa at all, just boosting lsat medians. You probably won't get into the federal judiciary from there, but you can get good outcomes outside the private sector there if you do well (but critically you don't have to absolutely kill it from there).

>> No.20983851

>>20983821
>>20983840
Also, be sure to look into gpa floors before you apply. Applying to T6 would be a waste of money, even NYU won't accept you with a 180 and amazing experience unless you are black/native or a decorated veteran (undecorated and it doesn't matter). Even Penn though may take you if your experience is that good, so shoot your shot up to them if your score is good enough, do not be discouraged. Things are just impossible to predict once you get below 3.0.

>> No.20983861

>>20983851
I don't know how to judge my work experience. I think it's very confusing and I actually find it somewhat embarrassing, but I guess it's good to know I have some sort of shot.

>> No.20983877

>>20983840
>>20983851
What do you think about age? Is it an issue? I realize matriculating at 30 is not unheard of it but it's not the norm.

>> No.20983884

>>20983861
If you want advice, tell me. I was an LSAT during law school (got a 180) and am still in the admissions game a bit despite being 5 years out from my 1L. I may have some ideas for how you can spin it.

But yes, you definitely have a small shot. It's much smaller than it would have been before covid, but you really owe it to yourself to rape the LSAT now and just try if your WE is substantial. If you can get a good score on the October LSAT (174 bare minimum) I would also suggest Northwestern Early Decision. They prefer excellent work experience to such a crazy extent (I didn't get in there as a kjd despite getting into a T6 lol) and have 135k guaranteed as of this year for ED admits.

>> No.20983896

>>20983877
Law school skews much older. I think the oldest person in my 1L was 35 at the time and the average age may have been around 25. Hard to remember exactly, but you aren't too old. Regardless, being 30 will certainly not hurt you and certain schools will actually strongly prefer you for being older and having WE.

>> No.20983899

>>20983884
Lsat tutor during law school*

I'm sorry for all the spelling mistakes, I am in the middle of switching my typing style to be more ergonomic and I am still a bit sloppy.

>> No.20983985 [DELETED] 

>>20983884
I'm probably outing myself too much here but I could use advice and don't have many people I can turn to so like I said, I was a terrible student. I graduated late and had barely passing grades, but I did get my degree and managed to do an internship at a small investment bank, which I did well at, before I graduated. They made a return offer, but I didn't like the job so I left and figured that I'd try another firm before I wrote off that field, so I got my first full-time job at another bigger but still, small firm, did really well there again, but found out I either didn't like working for small firms or didn't like the field so I worked there for a year and left. A family member had some health problems so I went home to help them out and worked in various manual labor jobs for anywhere from a few days to a few months while I applied to bigger firms. They didn't seem to want to hire me because I didn't have the grades or the brand to validate me. Then a friend of a friend offered me a job as a budget and finance officer at the same school I graduated from (this is probably the most strange detail of all imo), where I've been for the last 3 years now going on 4 years, mostly for lack of clear alternative direction. But I've been promoted 3 times, probably should've been 4 but COVID screwed up hiring and promotions, and now they tell me I'll be promoted or hired into the next level officer position next year since I'm basically running the show this year and supervising everyone. I actually really dislike this job as well, but it's made me more interested in public and civil service. legal theory, politics, that sort of thing. That's pretty much the whole story. I think I can get a high LSAT but my sense is that the perception would be what I do now is a solid step back from what I used to do and I've probably done it for too long. So you know, that year and a half and a high score might not be enough for them.

>>20983896
That's interesting because my research suggested the average age at T14 was 25 to 27 with only 10% to 10% being over 30.

>> No.20984146 [DELETED] 

>>20983884
I interned at a small investment bank for a summer, graduated late with bad grades, then worked at a different, bigger but still investment bank for a year, then I worked various manual labor jobs for anywhere from a few days to a few months while I applied to even bigger firms, but none of them wanted to hire me, and so lastly, I ended spent the last few years working in the finance and budget office of the college I graduated from. The manual labor stuff is just stuff I did for a while to be close to home and make some money (and it paid the same or more than finance and law), but I think on paper, working at the college looks like a big and confusing step back, but on the other hand, I've been promoted a bunch of times, supervise a whole department, and could be formally made a manager or asst. officer next year since right now I'm an officer in responsibilities but not name. That's it really. If you have advice, I would appreciate it.

>>20983896
That's interesting because my research told me the average at T14 is 25 to 27 and only 10% to 20% is over 30.

>> No.20984163 [DELETED] 

>>20983884
>>20983899
I interned at a small investment bank for a summer, graduated late with bad grades, then worked at a different, bigger but still pretty small firm for a year. I got frustrated with that job, left, and worked in various manual labor jobs for anywhere from a few days to a few months. And then lastly, I ended up spending the last few years working in the finance and budget office of the college I graduated from. The manual labor stuff is just stuff I did for a while to be close to home and make some money, but I think on paper, working at the college looks like a big and confusing step back, but on the other hand, I've been promoted a bunch of times, supervise a whole department, and could be formally made a manager or asst. officer next year since right now I'm an officer in responsibilities but not name. That's it really. If you have advice, I would appreciate it.

>>20983896
That's interesting because my research showed the average age was 25 to 30 with only 10% to 20% of students over 30.

>> No.20984202

>>20983896
>>20983899
>>20984163
Lol why tf did this turn into a law school prep thread
Law is not a lit job. Name one great writer who was also a successful lawyer

>> No.20984204

>>20984202
Goethe

>> No.20984858

>>20983402
There's a lot lol
Gass
Nabokov
If you go back far enough even Henry wadsworth Longfellow taught at Harvard for like 20 years while writing

>> No.20984869

>>20983680
>Didn't he basically
>Don't really know anything about him
>I remember a quote on Wikipedia
>If I remember correctly
why dont you just fuck off and admit you're talking out of your ass?

>> No.20986553

>>20980178
Nice