[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 162 KB, 907x1360, reformed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20965625 No.20965625 [Reply] [Original]

>I believe that in the sixteenth century, the Holy Spirit brought His church into true theology by leading each reformer into several novel truths about scripture, and, at the same time, the Holy Spirit led each reformer into numerous falsehoods that contradicted the novel truths that He was leading the other reformers into.

How do Protestants cope with their beliefs?

>> No.20965632

>>20965625
read Plato's Ion, being taken by the holy spirit is divine inspiration - of course it can lead you to write falsehoods, you are mad when you are inspired

>> No.20966069

>>20965632
But picture it from the point of the Protestant Holy Spirit. The church has spent 1,500 years unanimously agreeing on numerous fundamental falsehoods, e.g., that baptism takes away sins, that Jesus is really present in communion, that salvation can be lost, etc.

Now I'm the Protestant Holy Spirit and it's time to lead the church into truth and I'm going to do it through some reformers. Why wouldn't I just lead one reformer into these truths. Why would my Master Plan(tm) be to lead Zwingli into the truth on baptism but a falsehood on infant baptism and communion and soteriology. And I'll lead Calvin into the truth on salvation, but I'll lead him into falsehoods about baptism that contradicts the truths that I'm leading Zwingli into about baptism. etc.

Lutherans evade this critique. But this is the implicit belief of Baptists, nondenominationals, and other brain dead Protestant groups.

>> No.20967082

>>20966069
The individual person decides whether or not to admit the flow of the holy spirit in their lives, even at the bifurcation of things like salvation and baptism - they may be blocking the holy spirit from guiding them towards a more complete vision of the truth

>> No.20967155

>I must call the priest father even though our lord said call no man father
How do cathocucks cope with their beliefs?

>> No.20967174

>>20967155
Calls his mom mother and his dad father. WHOOPS. It's almost like father was referring to a position rather than a common relational word. Further, priests are our spiritual fathers on earth, similar to how Peter (who was entrusted with starting the one holy catholic apostolic church by demand of Christ and then was executed under Nero for his work in Rome) is a spiritual father under Christ, and so the lineage continues.

>> No.20967218

>>20967155
>For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. -1 Corinthians 4:15

Oops I guess Paul messed up. Or maybe Jesus didn’t mean that literally…

>> No.20967225

>>20967082
So your actual belief is that, with respect to Christian fundamentals like

- baptism cleanses of sins
- salvation cannot be lost
- communion contains the real presence of Jesus

etc. etc. EVERY SINGLE Christian for the first 1,500 years of church history was blocking the Holy Spirit? What does it mean that the Holy Spirit would lead the church into all truth? For 1,500 years the Holy Spirit couldn’t find one person who wouldn’t block him so that He could lead at least one Christian into truth?

Yeah, sorry, but that’s a sorry take.

>> No.20967322

>>20967225
*salvation can be lost

>> No.20967492

>>20966069
>The church has spent 1,500 years unanimously agreeing on numerous fundamental falsehoods, e.g., that baptism takes away sins, that Jesus is really present in communion, that salvation can be lost, etc.

None of those things are falsehoods. All are plainly taught in scripture, and were believed in the early Church.

It is a myth that the Reformation somehow entailed a return to the teachings and practices of the early Church. For example, neither scripture nor the early Church knew anything of the two pillars upon which the Reformation rested: sola fide and sola scriptura.

>> No.20967534

>>20965625
Butthurt Cuckolick ayy lmao

can't stop making:
>let me tell you what you believe
threads

>> No.20967539

>>20967534
He made this same thread a couple of days ago

>> No.20968521

>>20967218
>Oops I guess Paul messed up