[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 250 KB, 1196x1208, The Virgin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20908354 No.20908354 [Reply] [Original]

What are your thoughts on this poem, /lit/?

The Virgin by William Wordsworth

Yesterday's poem >>20903563

>> No.20908356
File: 31 KB, 242x320, William Wordsworth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>William Wordsworth (1770 – 1850) was one of the founders of English Romanticism and one its most central figures and important intellects. He is remembered as a poet of spiritual and epistemological speculation, a poet concerned with the human relationship to nature and a fierce advocate of using the vocabulary and speech patterns of common people in poetry. The son of John and Ann Cookson Wordsworth, William Wordworth was born on April 7, 1770 in Cockermouth, Cumberland, located in the Lake District of England: an area that would become closely associated with Wordsworth for over two centuries after his death. He began writing poetry as a young boy in grammar school, and before graduating from college he went on a walking tour of Europe, which deepened his love for nature and his sympathy for the common man: both major themes in his poetry. Wordsworth is best known for Lyrical Ballads, co-written with Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and The Prelude, a Romantic epic poem chronicling the “growth of a poet’s mind.”

>> No.20908550
File: 81 KB, 1080x1331, Giga.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Ah yes, another fine sonnet by Wordsworth.

>> No.20909022

Bump

>> No.20909040

I love Wordsworth at his best but his average is pretty low in my unsubstantiated opinion.

>> No.20909066

>>20908354
This is very good but you are all too stupid and reactionary to understand why.

>> No.20909077

I find it an embarrassing work. I’ve read a certain amount of old poetry and rarely have I felt such a strong sense of the naive enthusiasm of the author, an incredulity that he could really be serious. The similes are too basic to register in my mind as images, they are too well-worn. The pentameter plods and its irregularities don’t spur it on. And the content just makes me wonder about the authors relationship with his own mother.

>> No.20909647

>>20909066
Reactionaries hate poetry about Mary?

>> No.20910623

Bump

>> No.20911457

>>20909066
Not really, it's kinda trite standard poetry about the Holy Virgin with not much interesting twists or images to it. Mary as unsullied, as above all woman, as motherly yet pure. Sea, sky, and moon are like the tritest images ever, and to throw roses in there when you don't need to is just excessive. Even the music is way too overdone. Compare to The Prelude:

O there is blessing in this gentle breeze,
A visitant that while it fans my cheek
Doth seem half-conscious of the joy it brings
From the green fields, and from yon azure sky.
Whate'er its mission, the soft breeze can come
To none more grateful than to me; escaped
From the vast city, where I long had pined
A discontented sojourner: now free,
Free as a bird to settle where I will.
What dwelling shall receive me? in what vale
Shall be my harbour? underneath what grove
Shall I take up my home? and what clear stream
Shall with its murmur lull me into rest?

Notice how much smoother and measured it is.