[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 37 KB, 600x600, ec1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20896282 No.20896282 [Reply] [Original]

I feel like my writing style sucks, I want to convey my points in a clear and organized manner but I feel I always fall short. I fail to elaborate a lot of my ideas and end up putting out single sentences which don't convey what I'm trying to express.
Can anyone provide good examples of literature to follow so I don't waste my time writing senseless garbage?

>> No.20896309
File: 153 KB, 748x959, bibliography_lit_writing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20896282

Where exactly are you falling short? What kind of topic(s) are you trying to write about? Whose your intended audience?

>> No.20896379
File: 5 KB, 256x256, 9k=(22).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20896282
Good question. Look into "philosophical essay writing" or a similar keyword phrase. Oddly, Jordan Peterson wrote a paper on essay writing before he became famous and its akshully gud. Its on z-lib or libgen I think.
Also there are teaching assistants on YouTube who have to teach essay writing in the practical component of philosophy classes, these are also good resources.

>> No.20896560

>>20896282
I’m sure there’s a wojack for it somewhere

>> No.20896702

>>20896309
>>20896379
I want to right a book on the fundamentals of and necessity of self improvement.

>> No.20896716

>>20896282
Writing is a skill like any other. Just because you're literate doesn't mean you're entitled to be a good writer. Keep at it, separate your ego from your work so you can figure out what works and what doesn't and you'll find your style. I believe in you, anon

>> No.20896821

>>20896702
Self-improvement seems like a contradiction in terms. The idea of a self entails the quality of permanence yet improvement requires the subject to be impermanent. "Process improvement "or "habit improvement" seems more appropriate. This kind of perception also has several advantages. It reduces envy and resistance to change. It focuses your attention on tangibles. It makes it easier to measure progress and experiment. You can look at someone whose accomplishments you admire and are desirous of and rather than try to acquire the qualities or attributes you think that person possesses (which might be impossible) you would instead try to emulate the habits and processes which lead to those attributes. I believe this is what they call "growth mindset" in the psychological literature, though it was well-described by the Buddha 2500 years ago.

It's applicable to your writing problem as well. Thinking about it in terms of "my" writing style is not as effective as thinking about it as a collection of habits and processes around writing that results in an unsatisfactory end product. Many of the writing books I've read (a few of which are included in that infographic anon posted) make the mistake of focusing too much on attributes ("good writing has x, y, z" or "bad writing has a, b, c") and not enough on process. You should look not at what good writing IS but at what good writers DO. Good writers revise a lot (either in their head or on paper). Good writers read a lot (and read widely). Good writers scrap or abandon much of what they write. Good writers do copious amounts research. They copy and steal from other authors.

A good book on writing process is "Write Time" by Ken Atchity. That Peterson essay is also very good since it describes a literal step by step process for writing essays.

>> No.20897510

>>20896282
By writing.

>> No.20897546

>>20896282
Separate writing and editing. Braindump without judgement first, then edit it down to something good.

>> No.20897737

>>20896282
Look into Chesterton, Nieztche and Gomez Davila - Aphorisms are the mark of a good writer. You can only learn how to be concise but effective if you look at how the best did it.

>> No.20899014

bump