[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 174 KB, 630x1033, house on the borderland william hope hodgson 1983 reprint carroll graft.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20876352 No.20876352 [Reply] [Original]

>Be raised a homeschooled Jehovah's Witness
>Find freedom in the library since no one polices what you check out
>Read everything you can get your hands on
>Go to college after leaving cult
>Ace every single English course but ignore it to go into nursing for money
>Now just want to write short horror/strange fiction

Should I just jump off a bridge?

>> No.20876358

Sounds like a pretty great start. Why so gloomy?

>> No.20876368

Writing is good for that part of you that would have been called the soul in the past.

Do it anon. Creativity is its own reward.

>> No.20876373

>>20876358
Because I was raised to believe any kind of aspiration or happiness is wrong when Jehovah's new world order is right around the corner.

Hard to break youthful programming.

>> No.20876415

>>20876373
I'd love to read something that draws from the experience you just described. It's very relatable.

>> No.20876424

>>20876352
>Should I just jump off a bridge?

What kind of fucked logic is this?

>develop connection to literature despite up bringing
>probably have free time to develop writing skills and eventually start writing horror/strange fiction stuff
>GUYS SHOULD I LE OFF MYSELF?

If you're stupid enough to ask this question, then yes. You should totally off yourself, despite having the faculties required to pursue the hobby and possible career you want, because............................?

>> No.20876431
File: 55 KB, 500x500, EE30918D-1566-4AE1-95BB-AC88A9E446FC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20876373
Yhwh is evil and angra. Now that you know this truth, you fight him on that bridge.

https://youtu.be/1Vsf3zYppP4

>> No.20876464

>>20876424
Don't get it either.

>Have the ability to do what you WANT to do, with what looks to be little if any roadblocks
>Guys.............should i............just..........kill myself?

Yes.

>> No.20876532

Anon remember this Ligotti quote:
"Let's say it once and for all: Poe and Lovecraft - not to mention a Bruno Schulz or a Franz Kafka - were what the world at large would consider extremely disturbed individuals. And most people who are that disturbed are not able to create works of fiction. These and other names I could mention are people who are just on the cusp of total psychological derangement. Sometimes they cross over and fall into the province of 'outsider artists.' That's where the future development of horror fiction lies - in the next person who is almost too emotionally and psychologically damaged to live in the world but not too damaged to produce fiction."
You have the ideal background and mental state to become this kind of writer. You're set up for greatness already

>> No.20876538

A lot of my creativity is channeled into being a GM for my weekly TTRPG games but I wish I could use that to write.