[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 928 KB, 720x1093, ffghgcdfgvcdfh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20800241 No.20800241 [Reply] [Original]

>tells an engaging story of the human emotions of empathy and loss
>resonates with our biggest fear, namely the fear of death
>gives up the most valuable lesson of them all, namely tge acceptance of death
>ends with the highest virtue, namely that, while you as an individual might not matter, the humanity you contribute to does

Wait, why is anyone prefering the garbage Bible over this masterpiece again?

>> No.20800379

>do it for society

atheists really replaced the jewish god by society

>> No.20800385

>>20800241
acceptance of death is a meme
I refuse to believe anyone can come to grips with their own mortality.
It is the biggest mystery in the history of humankind and there are two options
Your death is your complete and utter annihilation, implying that your life was meaningless for there is no continuation to any life, rendering life itself meaningless too. You have no soul, no posterity. You have nothing. Nothing you did, thought, said or felt was even remotely meaningful. All the connections you had, love you felt, all the rage and unjust feeling you bottled up, they were all utterly pointless. Same with every other person on the planet.
Or in some way you live on. It may be eternal damnation, torture so strong you could not like 3 mins on earth, you get to endure for literal eternity. Or maybe some sort of blissful existence... forever. Incomprehensible either way to a mortal existence in which each and every indiviual attempts to cope their way into giving their life meaning THROUGH their mortality. Everything we do, think and say is based on the fact that time ticks away.
Or you are reincarnated? Or your cells retain some memory of your being as they seep into the ground out of your rotting corpse.

Likely none of the above though.

>but yeah bro, I totally don't care if I die tomorrow like, I've totally accepted it.
anybody who feels that way is a fucking moron

>> No.20800395

>>20800385
>>but yeah bro, I totally don't care if I die tomorrow like, I've totally accepted it.
>anybody who feels that way is a fucking moron
your inability to conceive something doesn't make it nonexistent, maybe you'll get there one day
with that said, most who believe they are content with death have usually never been in a scenario where they have been faced with nearly losing their life

>> No.20800398

>>20800379
I'm not an atheist, and Gilgamesh isn't an atheistic text

>> No.20800400

>>20800241
Because the Bible clearly took more complex art to create and has a lot more to offer in its themes and ideas.

>> No.20800401

>>20800395
I know for sure I will never get there
Death terrifies me and I everytime I think it through for 2 weeks I get nowhere.
The only solution I have is ignoring the issue and trying not to think about it

>> No.20800404

>>20800385
>It is the biggest mystery in the history of humankind
>and there are two options

>this is the most unknown thing of them all
>oh, and by the way, I know for a fact that only two things about can possibly be true

Literacy truly was a mistake for some people. You're one of those

>> No.20800405

>>20800401
i do think you'll get there. i don't know what, why, where, when, or how, but something will make it click one day and that fear will subside.

>> No.20800414
File: 170 KB, 891x1000, 1616959745004.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20800241
My interpretation of The Epic of Gilgamesh

>Gilgamesh got cucked by Gods
>Gods used Gilgamesh for their own mysterious ends, after he served his purpose they threw him and his aspirations away like used condoms >Gods themselves are vain and don't know how to make proper decisions because they're also conditioned by fate
>You shouldn't trust middle mangers with their empty consolations, crazy myths and mind numbing wine
>Beware of roasties and sex for they can turn a happy Enkidu into a miserable scum and sour thumb of nature and a civilizational cuckold
>Gilgamesh didn't overcome death, his disappointment was boundless and accepted the normalfags copes
>Gods are tricksters, the serpent was their plant. So don't fucking trust them.

The most important lesson
>Life is utterly futile and is filled consistent suffering, misfortune and death.

>> No.20800416

>>20800404
there is existence or non-existence
nothing about that statement is false, from a metaphysical POV, and he even recognised that "it's likely none of the above"
try actually reading next time.

>> No.20800418

>>20800404
My entire point is that we can't know. There are only 2 options from our POV, the fact that we can't envision anything else is exactly it.
Get out of high school before commenting faggot

>> No.20800420

>>20800416
>there is existence or non-existence
>nothing about that statement is false
you're assuming the statement is true to begin with

>> No.20800421

>>20800241
It's a good book.

>> No.20800426

>>20800385
I don't understand why people think that if something ends, it was meaningless. Meaning can be inherent in and of itself. Waking up and eating an apple while watching the sunrise can be meaningful, even if it doesn't 'add up to' or 'complete' anything.

>> No.20800432

>>20800426
This, and death makes life only meaningless if you're completely fucking selfish

Basically, death can only be meaningless if you subscribe to Americanized hyperindividualism and meaning is decided by whether or not you can consoooom

>> No.20800433

>>20800426
I think it's the idea that it will only be meaningful in a fleeting moment.
Perhaps it's why so many artists strive to 'last forever'
it's an idea you find in all poetical works too. Like Achilles who'll have his name cemented as a hero for all eternity or live a happy life till old age without any major accomplishments.

Either way there is no real answer. IMO a simple life is meaningful in a way.
It's just those more predisposed to nihilism that make an argument that if nothing of you remains, not even a memory, you might as well have not existed.
Hard to really argue against that imo. But if you had a good fulfilling life, even if it was simple, who cares

>> No.20800436

>>20800426
>I don't understand why people think that if something ends, it was meaningless.
Unirocally protestantism

>> No.20800437

this is a good lecture on the epic of gilgamesh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7MrGy_tEg

>> No.20800440

>>20800432
No because if you accept that death makes your life meaningless, it makes every life meaningless.
The people who remember you, or who you helped, the society you improved throughout your life (from a commie pov) will still die and be forgotten as well

>> No.20800446

>>20800440
>if you accept that death makes your life meaningless, it makes every life meaningless.
>The people who remember you, or who you helped, the society you improved throughout your life (from a commie pov) will still die and be forgotten as well
the people will die and society will fall apart no matter what i think about death

>> No.20800462

>>20800440
Yes, and life constantly changes, and humanity is not the final product of life. It's just a stage that life passes through, usually towards something far better

>> No.20800483

>>20800462
humanity not being the final product is incredibly depressing to me

>> No.20800484
File: 20 KB, 480x360, AHAHAHAHA!!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20800385

>I refuse to believe anyone can come to grips with their own mortality.

Ahahahahahaha ... :D

>> No.20800486

>>20800483
wouldn't it be worse if we really were the peak?

>> No.20800488

>>20800483
It isn't to me. That means there's room for improvement, and loads of stuff to do.

Think of all the great risks, great trials and tribulations, great adventures there are still ahead of us. I can hardly wait

>> No.20800494

>>20800486
I may have a pretty nihilistic view on death but not really on humanity.
I think humanity is a huge success story. We have the capacity to learn and change through culture.
Sure there will probably always be wars and atrocities but throughout it all I see a path of progression.
Besides WE are humanity. To 'progress' beyond that would to abandon ourselves, to change so drastically you could not refer to people as humanity anymore is really terrifying to me.

Don't you find that an incredibly strange thing to wish for?

>> No.20800499

>>20800494
Not if you accept that life is an intrinsically risky undertaking

>> No.20800501

>>20800241
Because Christians aren’t posturing when they praise the bible, but you are

>> No.20800504

>>20800405
The only way for the fear to subside, as Aristotle has correctly pointed out, is coming to despise life. If you despise life (whether you actually admit it or not), you will then welcome death. It's literally the only way.

>> No.20800505
File: 64 KB, 500x280, fren2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20800405
i hope so bro

>> No.20800506

>>20800414
>Life is utterly futile and is filled consistent suffering, misfortune and death.
Onions.txt

>> No.20800509
File: 118 KB, 589x594, fear_is_the_little_death.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20800504

>The only way for the fear to subside ...

>> No.20800513

>>20800494
>Besides WE are humanity. To 'progress' beyond that would to abandon ourselves, to change so drastically you could not refer to people as humanity anymore is really terrifying to me.
>Don't you find that an incredibly strange thing to wish for?
i don't see it that way. our predecessors did not worry about what they would become, and yet they persisted.
given a long enough time we will cease to exist or become something else from what we are today. i don't wish for it, i believe it is inevitable, unavoidable.
>>20800504
>It's literally the only way.
it helps no one to be reductive

>> No.20800517

>>20800501
Then humble me with something better, or just accept that my taste is vastly superior to yours

>> No.20800523

>>20800517
>just accept that my taste is vastly superior to yours
ultimatums mean nothing

>> No.20800525

>>20800513
>it helps no one to be reductive
It's not reductive at all, it's the necessary judgement given the situation. To paraphrase Aristotle, "any man who loves his life will not want to lose it, and death will be a terrifying prospect for him. But even despite that, because he is a good man and loves himself, he will still be willing to sacrifice himself if necessary." The point being that accepting death has nothing to do with alleviating the fear of it. To alleviate the fear you will necessarily have to come to reject the value of life, because death will be the only thing that could possibly relieve you of your life (a case in point being that young man who suffered with chronic pain for most of his life, and finally managed to convince someone to end it for him).

>> No.20800528

>>20800523
Okay then, I accept your concession and apology

>> No.20800530

>>20800525
>To alleviate the fear you will necessarily have to come to reject the value of life
I fundamentally disagree. life is a gift with which we should cherish and accept it is finite. to fear death is to deny life.

>> No.20800533

>>20800528
accept whatever you like, you have learned nothing from it

>> No.20800547

>>20800530
>to fear death is to deny life.
I don't see how. Death is the literal denial of my life, denying the denial of life is an affirmation of life.
>and accept it is finite
I said nothing about not accepting it, in fact I clearly stated that acceptance can go hand in hand with fear. Life is not like some gift you can hold in your hands. Losing it is not some known thing which you can understand. If even the mere possibility of death being some eternal, or close to it, torture (not in the Christian sense necessarily) does not make you feel uneasy, then you are either a liar or deluded into some fantasy about what death is or is not.

>> No.20800553

>>20800533
I've learned that I'm vastly superior to you

>> No.20800555

>>20800547
>If even the mere possibility of death being some eternal, or close to it, torture (not in the Christian sense necessarily) does not make you feel uneasy, then you are either a liar or deluded into some fantasy about what death is or is not.
I simply disagree, you're posturing a lot of
>it's this or that with no in between
as I sit here in between. if you had a knife to my throat, i'm sure my perspective on death would be different than where i sit now. as is, i have no reason to fear death, it happens to everyone, the world will continue without me, everything i experienced i would have experienced no matter what i think about death. it seems to me you are unable to accept the total uncertainty.

>> No.20800559

>>20800509
now that's some galaxy brain shit

>> No.20800580

>>20800555
>I simply disagree,
You're disagreeing despite not giving any reasons whatsoever. I have given reasons which are clear and logically coherent, for example that I love my life and that I am afraid of losing it due to the apparent rarity of the good life. I will simply default to assuming you are deluded and are prone to belief in fantasies, which is what I do when someone cannot provide adequate justification for what they think.
>as is, i have no reason to fear death
I just gave you one exact reason to fear death. A knife to your throat is not death, in fact you should not even be afraid of that. A knife to your throat is still life. What you would be fearing in that moment is actually just something that you block out in your daily life. In other words, the only way to not be afraid of death is either: A) total lobotomy; or B) unconscious psychological repression. Luckily for us it seems that most human beings possess B) naturally.
>it seems to me you are unable to accept the total uncertainty.
I am the one arguing for its uncertainty, so clearly I have accepted it. You're confused. I have been stating that acceptance does not imply the negation of fear. You can accept that you're afraid, in fact that's what my point is. That it's ok for you to admit that you are afraid, and admitting that you are afraid of death does not mean you do not accept the reality of death.

>> No.20800594

>>20800580
>You're disagreeing despite not giving any reasons whatsoever.
I apologize if I can't explain why I don't care about something, I'm not that eloquent
>I just gave you one exact reason to fear death.
which is what? punishment? sorry, I simply disagree. I don't believe in any circumstance that universal morality laws only started applying to us when we developed consciousness.
>That it's ok for you to admit that you are afraid, and admitting that you are afraid of death does not mean you do not accept the reality of death.
i have admitted i am not afraid of death because death is an inevitable reality. i do not deny a fear of death can exist, nor do i deny i would experience that fear in a near-death scenario.

>I will simply default to assuming you are deluded and are prone to belief in fantasies
default to whatever reason you feel satisfied with for having not understood the conversation

>> No.20800597

>>20800580
>it HAS to be this
get over your opinions

>> No.20800602
File: 39 KB, 275x183, quite_an_experience.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20800559

See?! Fear is just part of the experience. :D

>> No.20800617

>>20800602
one time I watched scary ghost videos while I jerked off, and I had the best orgasm of my life.

>> No.20800637

>>20800580
>>20800594

Btw just saying, should not mix the general survival instinct, the "animalistic" fear of death (which mostly consists of pain and threat avoidance) with the quite human abstract fear of personal discontinuity (which evidently is in its baseline just an extention of the survival instinct by the ability to plan ahead).

>>20800617

While I did not need to know that I do still say it is a fine example on how closely related certain cognitive patterns are within that piece of wetware inside our dense skulls. ^^

>> No.20800638

I'm not scared of death because I have epileptic seizures and if death is like that, then I won't even notice when I die. I am scared of dying horrifically, but that's much more a fear of pain or suffering. Death itself is unsettling, but I'm not scared of it. Beyond the fits I have, I stopped being scared of it once I decided not to care about what happens to my body after my death.

>> No.20800640

>>20800594
>which is what? punishment? sorry, I simply disagree.
No. Reread my posts.
>I don't believe in any circumstance that universal morality laws
This has nothing to do with anything I've said. Hence why my assumption is you've misunderstood something rather than purposely tried to misrepresent what I've said.
>i have admitted i am not afraid of death because death is an inevitable reality.
Which you also admitted was a lie (whether conscious or unconscious) when you said you would be afraid of someone murdering you. So you've implicitly conceded my point that you simply default to the unconscious repression mechanism so that you do not have to think about something intrinsically fearful. Ie, death is intrinsically fearful, whether or not you accept it.
>default to whatever reason you feel satisfied with for having not understood the conversation
You have not even comprehended most of my points to begin with. You either purposely misrepresented one of them above, or simply did not understand it. Which option is worse I'll leave you to decide.
>>20800597
It has to be what? I'm telling you exactly what it does not have to be, and secondly the response that an intelligent being who loves their own life and wellbeing would have in the face of pure uncertainty, the possibility of, for example, a phenomenological loop at the very end of your life which is the eternal experience of death agony (for no particular reason except, "that's just how it is" - like life itself). That being merely one possibility.

>> No.20800643

>>20800637
>should not mix the general survival instinct, the "animalistic" fear of death (which mostly consists of pain and threat avoidance) with the quite human abstract fear of personal discontinuity
you cant have one without the other, you cant assert that strictly by being conscious we are subject to rules that non-conscious (instinct-only) beings arent

>> No.20800660

>>20800640
you've overcomplicated something so simple that, yes, you're right: I don't understand what you're talking about at all.
>you HAVE to agree with my reasons
>you are LYING you HAVE to think this way
chill out, not everything is a debate. you cant debunk an opinion

>> No.20800683

>>20800637
>Btw just saying, should not mix the general survival instinct, the "animalistic" fear of death (which mostly consists of pain and threat avoidance) with the quite human abstract fear of personal discontinuity (
There is no difference for me. Personal discontinuity would not even matter if I were guaranteed and endless stream of kingly lives (especially considering that bodies have to wear out). I am speaking purely from the animalistic perspective, which is what all true fear of death is.
>>20800660
I'm used to /lit/ arguments being incredibly tedious, where aggression becomes necessary to assert a point properly, apologies for that.

>> No.20800687
File: 95 KB, 800x777, cycle_threshold.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20800643

>you cant assert that strictly by being conscious we are subject to rules that non-conscious (instinct-only) beings arent

Not rules but considerations. One does build upon the other. Which does provide a fine example btw as the rule of the survival instinct is merely a means to an end, to a more integral rule ... outrunning entropy by periodic renewal, perhaps extended by the "urge" of self replicating patterns to expand. Continuity. Now if we superimpose human consideration of these rules as abstract concepts it should be clear that the consideration of death is no doubt an issue but one that should be ranked below other considerations (as goes for the fear of it) if we roll with the hierarchical structure of the rules of nature (of which we are evidently a part).

>> No.20800777

>>20800385
Jesus mate, the dialectical relationship between oc and bait is strong in you

>> No.20800886

>>20800426
If there is such a thing as total annihilation, then it all is truly meaningless as, from yours and every particular person's pov, reality would cease to exist, meaning it never truly was. Not even God would have ever been (this is how you know annihilation cannot be true)

>> No.20800936

>>20800385
You must be 18 years or older to post here.

>> No.20800953

You can assign meaning to anything,some people stumble on a random occurance like a shooting star and interpret it as something personal, a signe.
You could make your life meaningful, the problem is once you accomplish your goal, what is left? Like if you want to get rich or raise your family or make music, once you succeed what is there left? You either keep going on same path which ultimately lead to obsession and self destructive habits.
Or you reject all of what you accomplish and fall into despair.
That's the main problem for me, if my life is not inherently meaningful, at a certain point I'm going to run into a road block, in a way I'm just buying time, trying to make something out of nothing.

To be honest, I'm afraid to die, it's a natural instinct, in life or death situation I'll fight with all I have. But I won't have regret, I don't wish to keep existing more than I already did.
What's the point? I'm going to be punished or rewarded for something I did and keep living in the past.
Or live again and go through same cycle of suffering that I had to endure.
I crave an ending, more than anything.
How my life will turn out, i don't know. Why am I even here
Someday ill know, when everything is all set and done and I look back,you ll know.

>> No.20800967
File: 2.03 MB, 370x250, acceptable_finale.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20800953

Just generally aim for an acceptable finale.

>> No.20801015

>>20800241
Fuck society lmao

>> No.20801081

>>20800886
That's retarded. If it was, it was.

>> No.20801096

>>20800379
Jews so bootyblasted by Babylon that they make the Babylonian gods into "demons" in their books.

>> No.20801099

Falso dichotomy. If you like Gilgamesh you'll like the hebrew Bible and the greeks

>> No.20801171

>>20800936
leave

>> No.20801415
File: 524 KB, 1128x1200, 1599994033529.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What i found interesting in Gilgamesh was the degree to which the image (and realities) of heroism seems to reflect the development of Sumerian civilisation imagined in a mytho-poetic form. I won't go as far as to say that it is an etiological account of neolithhic state-formation—because the poem is much more than that. But, i still think it is interesting to note the elements that shine through. Of course, the genealogy of the poem muddies some inferences that can be drawn from it, but it reads to me the purest example of man vs nature, conceived by the people who most purely experienced that struggle. Gilgamesh is an ascendant symbol of civilisation over the natural world, for all the good and ill that brings. For all his heroism in defeating monsters like Humbaba and The Bull of Heaven, he is also a force of stratification and oppression within Uruk. It captures the real tension of early social life—that power over nature is purchased at the price of natural freedom.
If we look at the great trials which Gilgamesh overcomes, who is first among men to achieve them, we see the anxieties that must have occupied early man: the dark caves, the open ocean, the high mountain paths and deep forests. Everywhere Gilgamesh roams he tames these areas and makes them inhabitable—he digs wells to draw water, slays lions to clear mountain passes, and confronts the fearsome Humbaba. And the methods he uses to tame/overcome them aligns well with the developments of the time: It isn't difficult to imagine for the marsh-farers of the Euphrates and Tigris, that the Waters of Death were analogous to the deep waters far from shore which would have meant certain death for the shallow marsh vessels, and Gilgamesh's innovation of abandoning his puntings for sails mirrors the development in Sumeria of sailed, seafaring vessels in the time of the poems composition. Obviously the historical Gilgamesh, if he ever existed, didn't invent sailing. Likely no one man did. But it is indicative of the value such a transition had that it was considered a heroic deed.
The clearest example of this reification of the heroic civilisation come in Tablets V and VI with the Slaying of Humbaba and the Bull of Heaven. Humbaba is a very obvious amalgamation of the most dangerous elements of nature. His appearance is a chimera of animal and natural dangers: horns of a bull, paws of a lion, scales of a snake. His breath is fire, his roar is a flood. He is the guardian of the heart of pre-industrial manufacturing: Wood. Gilgamesh and Enkidu, wielding weapons of advanced metallurgy, defeat this avatar of the forest so as to secure the cedar within and win immortality of their name. The symbolism here is obvious enough that it doesn't need much more elaboration.

>> No.20801416

>>20801415
The Bull of Heaven is another good example. It is a heroic representation of the domestication of cattle and animal husbandry. Bulls in contemporary times are considered fearsome enough, but we need to remember that these are post-domestication syndrome. That is to say, the cattle ancestor—the auroch—was both much larger and more ferocious. The size of the Bull of Heaven is telling in this regard. But if we look at the calamities that follow in its wake, they are a representation of the effect of a wild herd of cattle: where he treads, the forests and crops are damaged; where he stops to drink, rivers and wetlands run dry. Even the methods that Enkidu and Gilgamesh use to defeat the bull mirror primitive techniques for capturing and incapacitating wild cattle.
But as i alluded to, this heroic struggle of man over nature also entailed to destruction of natural social orders. Tablet I presents us with a good example this tension. We are introduced to the city of Uruk in disarray: Gilgamesh is set loose on the people like a fox in a henhouse, predating on the citizens in complete disregard to traditional rights and boundaries. Husbands cannot visit their wives, sons their parents; Gilgamesh exhausts them with his ‘contests’ and rules supreme through martial prowess; while it’s mighty walls have just been erected, they serve as much to trap the people in as protect them from without. This is explained within the poem as Gilgamesh’s divine heritage: being one-third human and two-third God, he possesses superhuman power. But considering the social transitions that were occurring at the time of the historical Gilgamesh, we might draw a different interpretation. What it is mirroring is the tension arising from the increasing urbanisation of communal life and the dynastic turn that entailed. the actual transition from the council of largely independent oligarchical farming families (puhrum) to the absolute warrior-kings (lugal) is represented in the symbolic destruction of the sovereignty of families by Gilgamesh over the most fundamental marital and filial obligations. The characteristic feature of this martial period was the erecting of walls around the urban centres. So what we’re really seeing in the opening of the poem is the fallout of this development: Gilgamesh, due to his great marital exploits has become the uncontested leader of the city. He had broken the power of the family, exhausts the men in his public works and campaigns, and acts above all law and custom. The walls—both literally and symbolically—have become man's prison.
Enkidu's death by disease may have also been a representation of the terrible plagues which followed the transition to urbanism and his 'civilising'.

>> No.20801423

>>20801416
We are reminded by Utnapishtim near the end of tthe poem of the temporality of our existence, that 'man’s life is snapped off like a reed', and
>floating on the water there is a mayfly.
>The mayfly gazes on the face of the sun,
>And then, in an instant, nothing is there
This is the main conflict of the poem. It would seem, if Gilgamesh ever gives an answer to this, answer is ever given to this, it is in the invitation that opens and closes the poem:
>Climb the walls of Uruk and walk along them.
>Examine the massive, terraced foundations.
>Is the masonry not of fine, fired bricks?
>Those foundations were laid by the Seven Sages.
>One square mile is town, one square mile orchard,
>One square mile clay-pits, and half a square mile
>Is devoted to Eanna, its buildings and temples.
>These four parts make up the city of Uruk
This is what Gilgamesh wishes to show Urshanabi after his reconciliation with death, and also the most precious wisdom preserved for reader. That while man's individual life may be as short as a mayfly's, Uruk—one square mile housing and shelter, one square mile agricultural production, one square mile manufacturing, and half a square mile religious worship—that is, civilised life, remains. It is the proud creation of the character that serves as their own communal mythologisation. That is, it is the heroic effort they sought to immortalise. We must imagine that history for the Sumerians was very different to us: we can look back at a thousand cultures that have risen and fallen, and understand the temporality of our culture and the commonality of the past, it's mundanity. But when the Sumerians, being the first, looked back to the past, they must have seen nothing, a void. Perhaps this is whey they imagined a great flood must have cleansed the world before them. But perhaps also that anxiety drove them to mythologise their own developmental story, as it was as miraculous an occurrence as the creation of the world itself.

>> No.20801633

It runs freaking circles around the bible, in spite of the fact that the bible stole a lot from it wholesale.

Gilgamesh and Enkidu's friendship is more meaningful and touching than any relationship in the bible.

>> No.20801649

>>20800379
No, you do it for yourself because you’re a free and accountable individual with no chance of forgiveness but for that of your peers, also free and accountable individuals.
That leads to society.

>> No.20801651

>>20800385
Projecting the post, much akin to anti-natalists and trendy, rick-and-morty-fan nihilists

>> No.20801697

>>20800385
Dumb pseud

>> No.20801750

>>20800385
The trick to accepting death is having an uneventful and meaningless life. Who fucking cares about death if you have no reason to stay?

>> No.20801775

>>20801750
Not that anon
The thing is fear of death is irrational as fuck and delusional, false bullshite made up by our mind which we only see as flawed in the moment of illuminated rationality.

A lot of people wish for death but when it come they start to crave for life, thus is the comedy of life and I am one of it's participants.

>> No.20801814

>>20800886
>God cannot annihilate souls without annihilating himself as well
So why should I worship your demiurge now?

>> No.20801905

>>20801651
I am not nihilistic. It's in fact the opposite
it's because I like living that I fear death

>> No.20803051

>>20800241
The Bible sucks

>> No.20803250
File: 523 KB, 535x749, rust.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20800426
Thinking something is meaningful is not the same as it actually being meaningful

Meaning that is merely relative to some other thing collapses entirely when the total entity in which the relations take place is itself meaningless; the actual horror of mechanisitic/materialistic philosophy is not what it implies about death, but what it implies about life - that we are not what we think we are, that there are in reality no people, no emotions, no purposes or "lives" as we have been predisposed to think of them: there are only mindless, heartless processes which have unfortunately created the illusion of there being something to see, somewhere to go, something to do, or someone to know

(Not to mention that the price of such counterfeit "meaning" is nearly always a tremendous amount of unnecessary suffering and pain that ultimately doesn't have any innate justification for itself - is your sense of "meaning" that you derive from eating an apple and watching a pretty sunrise an acceptable tradeoff from children being raped, tortured to death, and blown apart by surface-to-air missiles?)

tl;dr read Ligotti

>> No.20803468

>>20800385
Imagine not only being afraid of death but also having a shit life because of it, losing on all fronts lmao

>> No.20803778

>>20800385
They hated him because he spoke the truth